comfortable trendiness vs. uncomfortable transcendence

hawglips

Banned
When I think of the comfortable trendiness, I'm reminded of Isaiah 30:

9 ...this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the Lord:

10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:

11 Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.

Jeffrey R. Holland said this recently:

"Sadly enough, my young friends, it is a characteristic of our age that if people want any gods at all, they want them to be gods who do not demand much, comfortable gods, smooth gods who not only don’t rock the boat but don’t even row it, gods who pat us on the head, make us giggle, then tell us to run along and pick marigolds."

WaltL1

When I think of the comfortable trendiness, I'm reminded of Isaiah 30:

9 ...this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the Lord:

10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:

11 Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.

Jeffrey R. Holland said this recently:

"Sadly enough, my young friends, it is a characteristic of our age that if people want any gods at all, they want them to be gods who do not demand much, comfortable gods, smooth gods who not only don’t rock the boat but don’t even row it, gods who pat us on the head, make us giggle, then tell us to run along and pick marigolds."
So all of the above "blame" is focused on "what the people want".
Isnt the actual problem that the trend seems to be that many churches are willing to pander to them?
Christianity is/has turned itself into a business.
Businesses need new customers and new money to survive and as with most businesses that generaly causes quality to decline.
Seems like the real problem/blame is being avoided here?

Artfuldodger

4 Ways the Modern Church Looks Nothing Like the Early Church

Many churches today spend most of their revenue on salaries, building mortgages and other material supplements to ministry. Look at any church budget and you’ll probably find 1 or 2 percent of church funds allocated to benevolence—helping poor people in need. Maybe another 5 percent, or 10 percent at best, is given to needs outside the church that on some level help the poor.

Read more at http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god...ooks-nothing-early-church#ZX7qLEPDo5TRtJ4F.99

Artfuldodger

The Churches and Social Change in Twentieth-Century America

CHARLES Y. GLOCK

Abstract

The twentieth century has witnessed a number of major social changes that have affected America's churches by virtue of the changes challenging traditional interpretations of scripture. Among these changes have been declines in anti-Semitism and racial prejudice and discrimination, and transformations in the role and status of women and in sexual practices and attitudes. In the past, scripture has been used to justify anti-Semitism, discrimination against Afro-Americans, women's being subordinate to men, and opposition to divorce, premarital sex, adultery, and homosexuality. Churches have responded to the social changes, sometimes by modifying scriptual interpretations to accommodate them, sometimes by standing fast against them. The differences in response prove to be highly associated with differences in church performance. They also have sharply varying implications for the churches' future, especially their ability to exercise moral authority.

http://ann.sagepub.com/content/527/1/67.abstract

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I can hardly remember twenty-something, and I see no difference in my generation and the one focused on in the article. I dare say, I see little difference in those focused on in the article and what I think I see throughout the world, even here.

Artfuldodger

I can hardly remember twenty-something, and I see no difference in my generation and the one focused on in the article. I dare say, I see little difference in those focused on in the article and what I think I see throughout the world, even here.

Back in my youth Cool Hip Christianity was Church sponsored coffee houses and Jesus Christ Superstar.
Jesus freaks and Christian rock.
A simple living counter cultural way of living based of peace, love, and helping brothers and sister out.

Then I became a war mongering capitalist. I morphed into a Conservative Christian, Right Wing, Republican, Straight, White, American Male.

Sometimes my Christ like inner self of peace, love, and helping others leaks out. It must be the Holy Spirit.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Christianity is/has turned itself into a business.
Businesses need new customers and new money to survive and as with most businesses that generaly causes quality to decline.

Yup. And, the ones who eventually see what they bought into (current trend) for what it is (business strategy), they are left disenchanted not only with the business, but the mindset of the majority that allowed it to become that way.

Nothing wrong with cool, or having your own way of doing things. But, if your gonna believe you might as well believe.....otherwise, you are left defending hypocracy, which is not possible.