Ossabaw Island

Campingman

Did anyone attend the December 7-9 hunt on Ossabaw. How was your trip and success ? Ours was very wet and no pigs ,but we saw several deer. The pig eradication is extreme compared to last time we attended.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
My nephew went on the hunt over Thanksgiving, said the hogs are non-existent compared to a few yrs ago, they did kill 2 though.

Mark R

Went on the Nov 2017 gun hunt . Hogs are holding up tight in those thick marsh ponds . Aint near as many as there used to be .

Helium

U guys aren't making me optimistic... spent 3ppoints on drawing Feb hunt .. never been on ossabow before but was looking forward to it.

Don't want to spend 3 days looking for something that is rare.

The little I know about hogs... doesn't make sense that it could've dwindled so quickly even with brute force of a full time sharpshooter

tlee22

I got 2 hogs on the PW hunt but I really had to work for them. My fit bit had me walking 13 miles a day. My feet really felt it too. There are still pigs there but you are going to have to get creative to knock them down. I do think some got killed out by the last Hurricane. If they were in the marsh when it hit I sure that they could not swim fast enough to escape it. I don't think the sharp shoot could take that many out that fast unless birth control was applied to the pigs. .

cskdevildog

Hogs

The game wardens run dogs and kill 2,000-3,000 hogs a year. They are trying to protect the sea turtle eggs. I went about 10 years ago and saw around 150 hogs in 3 days. The last time I went, 3 years ago, I only saw 1 and shot it.

b rad

The game wardens run dogs and kill 2,000-3,000 hogs a year. They are trying to protect the sea turtle eggs. I went about 10 years ago and saw around 150 hogs in 3 days. The last time I went, 3 years ago, I only saw 1 and shot it.

yep this is true same goes for sapelo island as well hogs were non existent.

Riplukelee

I fish all around Ossabaw Island but never hunted it but hogs/hog signs sightings are few and far in between from the water. Some of the smaller island around the area still have plenty of hogs on them. Rose Dhu in particular. Not sure as to the exact reason of the decline on Ossabaw. I'm not much of a hunter but plan to start hunting Ft. Stewart for hogs soon.

Blackston

I can remember ossabaw hunts as a boy Me and daddy stepping over sleeping hogs in the palmettos No joke dad said by real quiet when ya walk

Dan30257

U guys aren't making me optimistic... spent 3ppoints on drawing Feb hunt .. never been on ossabow before but was looking forward to it.

Don't want to spend 3 days looking for something that is rare.

The little I know about hogs... doesn't make sense that it could've dwindled so quickly even with brute force of a full time sharpshooter

My buddy and I will be down there with you next month. It's a routine trip for him, my second. We went November of 2015 and I got a deer first day, about 5 min after sunrise. He got into a mess of piggies. I remain confident that we'll get some, but is depressing hearing the much lower body count. We both like to cover every bit of the zone on foot. Brought my climber last time and never used it. Lots of walking. Camp can be a good time too, depending on weather. Great to be away from the bustle of mainland.

Helium

My buddy and I will be down there with you next month. It's a routine trip for him, my second. We went November of 2015 and I got a deer first day, about 5 min after sunrise. He got into a mess of piggies. I remain confident that we'll get some, but is depressing hearing the much lower body count. We both like to cover every bit of the zone on foot. Brought my climber last time and never used it. Lots of walking. Camp can be a good time too, depending on weather. Great to be away from the bustle of mainland.

Look forward to meeting you... I will be the lone guy camping in a hammock

Dan30257

I went January of 17 and saw over 20 pigs. You just got to go find them.

That's what I was thinking too. I know some peeps on the combo hunts stand hunt more than spot and stalk. Hoping that's where the lower numbers reported are coming from.

dank1296

Was drawn for the Dec 7-9 hunt but didnt go due to the bad weather 8" snow at home hard rain at Ossabaw. Havent seen if the hunt was held or cancelled.

Ohoopee Tusker

I was on the January hog hunt last year. Don't remember the numbers but there were lots of hogs killed and seen. The night before the hunt I had to come out of my tent and run four hogs out of the campground because they were keeping me awake. Lol.

tlee22

48 hogs killed after the Archery, PW, 1st gun & youth hunts.......... That is like a 14 to 20% chance of killing a pig on the hunt depending on how many hunters attended. Not sure on how the 2nd gun hunt went on the pigs but would be interesting to hear.

Mac

interested in how the pig hunts went