Drill

tree cutter 08

Anybody plant food plots with a drill? New ones are$$$ but found some older ones in the 2 to 4k range. Would they be junk with that much age and use on them?

Jim Boyd

Plant them all the time. Only thing I use.

I bought an old MF 10’ and cut it in half. Think it has about 10 delivery disc / tubes and works great.

Saves on seed, big time.

Good luck.

Mexican Squealer

I have had an Eco Drill for 10 years and love it. Easy and efficient. Have used Great Plains and Tye and they are awesome but expensive.

sasmojoe

Use to be a fellow in Cordell, ga who took full size JD drills and cut them down. I bought one from him many years ago and pulled it with a 4 wheeler. Worked great, definitely saves on seed. I also planted sunflowers with mine by blocking off every other drop.

Stonewall 2

Wa have been using one for about 6 years now we plant about 20 acres and man is it a time saver and seed saver. We had a guy we know that goes to farm auctions looking for us. We used it about2 years and had a bearing go out on one the cutting so we had a buddy that is a heck of a mechanic go ahead and just rebuild the whole thing. New cutting discs bearings tubes the whole nine yards. Glad we did because we have since found out there are no parts anywhere available for our drill now unless you can find one in a junk yard. Because of that we may sell ours. The new one are high so I got to looking at an all purpose seeder by land pride. Still a no till planter but almost a third of the cost of the drill. I am planning on going to look at one at Gene and Matt’s tractor in Winder this week.

tree cutter 08

Nice Jim! Thanks for posting your link, you did a fine job! Anything to look for in particular when looking for a used one? I don't mind working on one but don't want to buy a junk pile that can't find parts for.

Jim Boyd

I am not sure I can find parts for mine, either.

I made sure at least half of the parts were still good cause I knew I was gonna cut it in half.

Key would be to find one in decent shape and save all the extra parts, if you were gonna cut it down.

I have seen some of the Deere drills cut in half and they are sweet but they want a fortune for them.

Think they are 4’ where mine is 5’, also.

Good luck!

tree cutter 08

Yea would like to have at least a 5 ft. Thanks for the info and advise. Now just need to find one like you say in decent shape.

tree cutter 08

Hey Jim, is yours a 33? I found one for $200 but haven't looked at it yet. Have you tried planting corn or sorghum with yours?

Jim Boyd

TC

I don’t recall what mine was. 33 sounds familiar.

I have not planted any sorghum and when I did plant corn, I used a row planter.

The row planter hit a stump a few years ago and broke the frame in half and I just abandoned it.

Corn for me was not a great food plot crop, it is expensive and while it is a great attractant and a good place for them to hide, I personally don’t feel the nutrition for the deer is great.

I use mine mainly for peas and oats/wheat.

$200 is a deal if all the parts are there.