How do you age a snapping turtle?

ghill4

Lol Terry the snappin turtle. What kind of snappin turtle is it? Alligator or Common? If it's an alligator, they they are protected. Just to let ya know in case you didn't. ^_^

ghill4

Difference in snapping turtles:

common_and_alligator_snapper.jpg

And a big give away, an alligator snappin turtle is black on the inside of the mouth and common is a whiteish pink color.

As for age.... I am not sure.

ghill4

The vent in chickens is where they excrete bowels mate and lay eggs
If its the same with turtles I wouldnt know but dont think it would be much diff

Yeah it is basically the same thing.

boneboy96

I had an alligator snapping turtle in my back yard years ago...about the size of a galvanized garbage can lid. I never knew they could extend that neck as far as it did...took the broom outta my hand and bit the handle in two. I let him be after that. 1st and last 1 I've ever had up close to me. Guess they don't like being prodded with a broom. :pop: :rolleyes:

bigrob82

And a big give away, an alligator snappin turtle is black on the inside of the mouth and common is a whiteish pink color.

the one on the right taste the best

letsemwalk

Also, with bein in ENR in the FFA, if you find skulls of them, this is how you tell what they were.

left is an alligator snapping turtle skull because there is no ridge above the skull, it's flat. Learned that in ENR, along with lots of other things.

right pic. is a common snappin turtle.

Attachments

• skull.jpg
    skull.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 5,702
  • skull2.jpg
    skull2.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 5,722

contender*

Neat thread!! I actually learned something today.:biggrin2:
I did know that the neck would extend and they are strong in the jaws.:hair: They are also fast with those jaws. When you think of a turtle you think of a slow moving animal like on the cartoons but that neck will stretch out there and them jaws will clamp shut just as fast as a snake. It's fun to play with them after you know that. The first time you figure it out will give you a warm feelin in the seat of your pants...:D:D:D:D

The AmBASSaDEER

Lol Terry the snappin turtle. What kind of snappin turtle is it? Alligator or Common? If it's an alligator, they they are protected. Just to let ya know in case you didn't. ^_^

He is a common.

The AmBASSaDEER

He was takeing the cooler pretty well, till last night.

He almost turned the thing over.

ghill4

That won't be good... lol You eat em yet?

weedahoe

I had an alligator snapping turtle in my back yard years ago...about the size of a galvanized garbage can lid. I never knew they could extend that neck as far as it did...took the broom outta my hand and bit the handle in two. I let him be after that. 1st and last 1 I've ever had up close to me. Guess they don't like being prodded with a broom. :pop: :rolleyes:

I remember as a child and being up in the mountains of NC I ran into one once. Like you I was going to pick him up and came up on him from behind and just as I grabbed him he whipped that head all the way back and tried to get me. And you know what? I left that mean S O B where he was.

olchevy

well acording to what i found if it is full size it was at least 12 years old.

Common snappers shell smooth out over time and supposdley by the time they are 50+ their shells are almost completley smooth

however aligator snappers shells get pointer over time.....so it could have been older than You

j_seph

I know for a fact they will climb out of the bed of a full sized pickup. They are realy strong and the best escape artists.

thats the seconds time i`ve heard a story about this happening....must be true.

Here's the 3rd time, got one yesterday and he came out of the back of the truck at 65mph. Hatchrooster had to dodge him while the turtle flipped and slid 40 or more feet. Needless to say he was mad(the turtle) hopefully it will be ready to be ate this evening. I might of gave it a pardon had it not tool an ambassador and rod out the truck with it and broke em.