Hog tracks (Updated with pics)

So finally got a chance to go over to the farm I've been hunting on the past couple years on Friday. Walking around looking for sign I found where a hog had walked down the powerline just one set of tracks about 2" wide and 3" long. Have never seen any hog sign over there before also found two spots on the fence where the bottom wire was covered in dry mud with some black hair in it. My question is where should I be looking for more sign too see if it's just one or more in the area really didnt see any signs of rooting to speak of. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks Shawn

Last edited:

broach0018

Try the creeks anywhere with alot of moisture. Also they may just be passing thru to get to another piece of property with a food sorce or even a wallow? Either way alot of walking and tracking is in order. Good luck!:cool:

Dogsniper01

Usually your first sign will be a lone boar that I call a scout. He will case your place looking for a food source, water and cover. If he likes what he seees he will disappear for a few days and then the next sign you see will be the rest of the sounder. If you can kill him quick, you may be able to postpone the inevitable for a little while. He is probably rambleing around at night though.

I know this will sound crazy but would'nt mind having some hogs around to put a couple in the freezer each year. Without having to drive far this is only ten minutes from the house plan on going back wednesday and doing some more walking and looking. A track that size should be 150-200lbs does that sound about right.

Dogsniper01

Probably close on the size. I know alot of people that have said they wouldn't mind haveing a few hogs around, and in the end had to eat their words. It is alot cheaper to get your pork at the grocery store, but not always as much fun.

There wont be a "few" hogs around once they find a food source, water, cover theyll set up till the food source is gone and then move on.
Kill them at every chance, they breed more, eat more, and destroy more, all the while depleting food sources for the deer and turkey.
If they have enough food sources they'll set up camp and itll only get worse.

Ok did some more walking around. Found some spots i the creek and out by the edge of the field where they been wallering in the mud water and a bunch of trees with mud rubbed on them. Should I be ok to sit over either one of these areas in my climber and wait or do I need to set up a timer feeder close to one of these spots. In yall's opinion what time of day should I bet at these spots. TIA

So went to the farm hunted this morning checked my trail cam. Had a big one in at 6:30 am and another at 1:45pm yesterday. Had to help some friends out yesterday and did'nt hunt wish I would have. Will post pics when I get home in the morning cant post them from this stupid work computer.:biggrin2:

Here's the 2 i got on trail cam so far.

Attachments

• PICT0020.jpg
    PICT0020.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,400
  • PICT0021.jpg
    PICT0021.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,419
  • PICT0024.jpg
    PICT0024.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 1,415

Any ideas on weight. The small tree in the first pic is where the top of his back was measures 31" high.

95g atl

I know what you mean by driving far....10 minutes is great. I currently drive nearly 2 hrs to my hunting camp for hogs....
You have hogs in Gainesville area?

garnede

If you want to set up a feeder go for it, but you will convince them that they have found a great spot. If there is 2 then there will be more soon. I would set up where you have your camera and sit as long as possible. The first one is fat enough that his legs look short, he is a nice one. The second one looks in the 80 pound range, great eating regardless of sex. Enjoy.

I was thinking maybe 200 on the first one and 70-80 on the second.

95g The farm is off of gillsville hwy just outside of gainesville heading towards jefferson.

Does anyone think these might be the only 2 I have or do the piglets if there are any not always come with them.

nockemstiff

Idk for sure but the group of pigs I was watching all summer eventually split from the more mature sows and boar. Now the pigs have split too. They were 40-50 pounds and there were 7 of them.

All that to say, get them while you can.

I was gonna say 60-80 on the one in the daylight, maybe the first one makes it over 100 or so.

95g atl

95g The farm is off of gillsville hwy just outside of gainesville heading towards jefferson.

wow. very familar w/that area.

I'd try a hog trap, the corral type - that way if a deer gets in, they simply jump out. Hogs cannot. Fairly easy and inexpensive to construct, the only complex part is the trap door. I've built a couple of them myself.

If you want to go the "trap" route, let me know - I may be able to let a hand on constructing the trap....you're probably 30-35 mins from me. ;)

Brian