Remington 597 problems...

Wetzel

Last year I purchased a Remington Model 597 and since the purchase I've had many problems with the gun jamming. Seems that I can't even go through a clip of ten shots without it jamming up a couple times.

I'm guessing the problem is with the extractor not kicking the empty out hard/fast enough. Generally the bolt catches the empty as it is trying to load the new cartridge.

Anyone here have any problems with a 597? How did you resolve the problem?

It's been about 10 months since I bought my 597, so I think it is still under warranty. Regardless, I plan on calling Remington tomorrow and see about sending it back to have it fixed. I'm getting tired of my semi-auto shooting like a single shot.:rolleyes:

Wetzel

I have one and have the same problems with it. I'd be interested to hear what Remington tells you.
I called Remington today and I'll be sending my rifle back to one of their service centers if I can find a way to mail it. Hope it can be fixed.

bearpugh

Gone but not forgotten
i've read a lot about mag probs, especially plastic ones.

Wetzel

I've seen where many have had problems with the early magazines for this rifle. The gun I have has the newest magazine so I don't think that is the problem. Problem I'm having is the empty brass is getting caught by the bolt as it is closing with a new cartridge starting in the chamber. I'm thinking it is a problem with the extractor.

If I had read all of the problems of the 597 that are all over the internet, I would probably have bought something different.

ross the deer slayer

I know this was posted almost 4 years ago but I have that exact same problem with the 597 22lr, jams every 2 or 3 rounds. I have 2 metal mags that come with the gun, one I bought. One mag's last shot hold open function doesn't work.
I shoot mainly remington 550rd 36gr gold hollowpoints and have used winchester 40gr also. after probably 4000 rounds with NOT regular cleaning this just recently started happening.. the shell doesn't fully eject and keeps the bolt from fully closing(I heard its called a stove pipe jam)

Do I need a new extractor, mags, recoil springs(I can't imagine they'd get stiffer after 4000+ compressions)... help pleeeeease

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
I know this was posted almost 4 years ago but I have that exact same problem with the 597 22lr, jams every 2 or 3 rounds. I have 2 metal mags that come with the gun, one I bought. One mag's last shot hold open function doesn't work.
I shoot mainly remington 550rd 36gr gold hollowpoints and have used winchester 40gr also. after probably 4000 rounds with NOT regular cleaning this just recently started happening.. the shell doesn't fully eject and keeps the bolt from fully closing(I heard its called a stove pipe jam)

Do I need a new extractor, mags, recoil springs(I can't imagine they'd get stiffer after 4000+ compressions)... help pleeeeease

Give everything a good cleaning, including pulling the bolt out and scrubbing everything down and then see if it is still happening.

Chances are that you have carbon buildup that is preventing proper cycling of the bolt, therefore causing timing issues. Timing issues lead to stovepiping.

packrat

Yep

Give everything a good cleaning, including pulling the bolt out and scrubbing everything down and then see if it is still happening.

Chances are that you have carbon buildup that is preventing proper cycling of the bolt, therefore causing timing issues. Timing issues lead to stovepiping.

X2
All the above with a new extractor, simple fix.
22 ammo is dirty, regardless of brand.
New extractor may not be needed if it is
clean immaculately. A little build up can
cause big problems. If I'm having extraction issues,
I usually go ahead and replace the extractor while
it is stripped down. The part is cheap and easy to
install. It is good practice to go ahead and order one
for each brand .22should own as a back-up while you
are ordering.

Wetzel

Four years later and I still have problems with my 597. Cleaning it good helps, but there's a problem there somewhere. There's just way to much on the internet about these guns having jamming problems. In addition, I've had other semi autos that have given very little trouble after years of use and abuse. Although my 597 is a good shooting gun when it will shoot, I would never buy another one. Good luck with your gun.

ross the deer slayer

Is there any use taking it to a gunsmith? Or should I just cclean EVERYTHING and get a new extractor. I just use walmart bulk remington gold hollowpoints but is there a really nice ammo that doesn't jam? My dad has a remington tube mag 22 from his grandpa that shoots more reliably than my 4 year old 597 by the way

Wetzel

Is there any use taking it to a gunsmith? Or should I just cclean EVERYTHING and get a new extractor. I just use walmart bulk remington gold hollowpoints but is there a really nice ammo that doesn't jam? My dad has a remington tube mag 22 from his grandpa that shoots more reliably than my 4 year old 597 by the way
I actually sent my 597 back to Remington. They determined that it needed a good cleaning in order to stop the jamming problem. Around 200 rounds later, it was jamming just like it was before I sent it to them. I'll admit that I haven't tried a great variety of ammo. I generally use the cheaper stuff since I shoot a lot of it when shooting.

ross the deer slayer

Does anyone know if the trigger group parts are easy to get apart and badck together? I'm not good with getting all the springs in place and its really dirty so i'm sure that's a part

packrat

gun fix

The trigger groups drops out in one piece much like a ruger 10/22. Watch these 2 videos. Don't let the plunger shoot out.

Shug

I know your pain brother, the 597 is the biggest piece of crap remington ever produced. I had {have} the same problem. Go to Rimfire Central.com They have a section just for the 597. I replaced everything on mine. The guide rods and springs, the complete bolt assembly. Even took it to authorized repair center and they couldn't fix it. Finely I changed out the extractor and hammer with a VQ extractor, and VQ hammer and polished all metal touching metal. I replaced the stock springs also. Finely after all of this I got to run about 70-100rds through it. Anyway check out the guys over at Rimfire, they got great information

ross the deer slayer

Just got a remington extractor and hold open spring I just gotta get to the farm so I can clean all the parts before I install. If nothing fixes it, should I try to make it single shot if that's legal or just get a ruger 10/22