Deer movement before or after?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I have never really understood the deer movement theory behind storms. When do deer move best. Before a storm or after a storm? Before a cold front or after a cold front? My experience has been after but I have heard of other people having better luck before?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Supposed to be before the storm. High barometric pressure system means stable weather and suppresses activity. Low pressure encourages activity. Storms preceed low pressure systems. That's the science. My experience is there are a lot of other factors.

H

HT2

Chris.......

For me it's always been afterwards.........

When everything has passed and it calms down.........I generally see more deer then.....

doe shooter

I hunt when i can. usually on saturdays and holidays because that is when i am off work. The weather, moon, rut, sickness doesn't matter. When i retire, i guess i will worry about it.

hambone44

I see a lot during, as well as after. I like when it rains all night, or at least right until daybreak, and then clears and the cold starts filtering in. Man, they seem to stir then a lot. But now, I tell ya, those ol bucks sure seem to like to move on an overcast day when it is real drizzly and cool. This is my favorite hunting weather of all. Seems they move all day long.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Both.
It seems there is an intense but short period right before. As long as it gets alot colder after it passes i always seem to see deer.
If it rains really hard for several hours then stops look out.

This is like anything else in deer hunting. The longer i do it, the less i know about it.

gabowman

Seems to me deer will feed up before a storm so when they bed down they wont get out of the dry bed and wait the storm out. Deer washed out of their beds will do alot of standing around but little activity. Once the weather breaks it a good time for more movement, especially if it gets cooler. By that time deer are ready to feed again.

For others this might be right the opposite, but it works for me.