pick a spot

Munkywrench

I need to remember this... Missed a doe this morning. She gave me another shot but was on high alert and ducked the arrow.
Went for a walk after finding my arrows (wasn't sure if I hit or missed the second shot, she was a blur). Spot a doe and stalk in behind a BIG tree at 40 yards and as I wait I have a 4 point come in at 20 yards. I draw, release, and watch my arrow go right under. I then proceeded to hit my head into the tree a few times. (That'll teach it)!
How have you guys overcome this?

Mudfeather

It is a mental dicsipline like hitting a baseball. Some have an ability that is better than others. Others have learned to develop theirs to the best of their ability but some do seem to have an exceptional gift of concentration.

I have grown frustrated with the amount I miss white tails.

That said I have heard quoted by some of the "fathers" of the sport that if you kill 1 out of 3 animals that you are in the top % of hunters.
Sometimes I think that a lot of trad hunters have an unrealistic expectation of killing......especially white tails....

Just my thoughts....

H

Hammer Spank

I am a very poor target shooter but everything usually works out when I shoot at live game. There are a lot of marbles rolling around in my head and I think they go away during a real life hunting situation. I usually can't remember shooting. It just happens. Muscle memory is an amazing thing.

Munkywrench

Well I'm back in the blind and gonna give it abother go if they will give me another shot. I flung some at the house and was hitting everything, so maybe I'll get my head to do what it's supposed to do...
I think one problem is, I'm trying to pay too much attention to what the deer is paying attention to. Always worried they are gonna look up and spook as I release. Need to pick my spot and once that's done, it doesn't matter if she runs off cause if I don't focus she's gonna run off anyways, and I'll just feel dumb...
thanks guys

Al33

I don't know if I ever figure it out I will tell you
Tell me too when you know.:bounce:

It is a mental dicsipline like hitting a baseball. Some have an ability that is better than others. Others have learned to develop theirs to the best of their ability but some do seem to have an exceptional gift of concentration.

I have grown frustrated with the amount I miss white tails.

That said I have heard quoted by some of the "fathers" of the sport that if you kill 1 out of 3 animals that you are in the top % of hunters.
Sometimes I think that a lot of trad hunters have an unrealistic expectation of killing......especially white tails....

Just my thoughts....

I believe that.

Todd Cook

Tony, picking a spot on an animal is one of the hardest things to do, and yet the most important. On deer from a tree I aim at the tiny white patch in the armpit( RC's " pocket"). Read his how to shoot a deer thread and then read it again.

Martin's right about dropping your bowarm. 9 times of 10 if you shoot under a deer that's what happens.

This is going to sound obvious but I have to be close enough to see a tiny spot. If I can't lock in on a tiny spot, it's too far for me.

ddauler

You will only get better at picking a spot on critter by shooting at critters. I've killed over a hundred deer with traditional bows still have spells mostly when it's been awhile! Best option hunt year round stay after it it will come. Picking a spot includes follow through or it's useless bow dropping, peaking and etc are symptoms of not following through.

Munkywrench

I'm on it Doug. But I think the game warden is gonna have problems with me staying on deer all year long.
The next thing I'm gonna get is a 3d deer target also. I think it'll help of I'm used to picking a spot on it instead of on my block target.
By the way how did the rest ofyour hunt go sunday? Any more apple incidents?

BBowman

RC once told me that if I kept missing, the game warden would give me a ticket for littering. LOL! That was always a little extra incentive for not missing.

Last edited:

PassingThrough

Tony not that I have that much experience but if you remember how my season started last year I missed the first 3-4 I shot at. And I don't mean slight misses either.

It was not until I told myself that I was not going to shoot the next deer...I was just going to "practice" drawing on the deer, aiming, and then let down.

It was not until I relaxed and had no intentions of shooting the deer did that arrow come off the string perfectly and hit the deer right in the lungs from a "practice" shot.

For me I was so hyped up I could not put the arrow where I wanted it to go but once I could relax a little better things started to happen. Just think practice and a spot.

I hope this helps.