Need advise/ Spine shot

smackdown51

Nice buck came in at dark, jumped my string and I hit him in the back i think. As soon as I shot he hit the ground. Kept trying to get up but no luck. Got to the last place I saw him and no buck. I searched a little but nothing. I have bacvked out. Do I let him lay the night or go back with a dog? Thanks in advance for the help!

kbuck1

Guess he had more luck getting up than you thought. Lol

Had to say that. Id get a dog on him as soon as i could. Good luck

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
My take on it.....you probably hit him somewhere that jammed his spinal cord up for a few seconds. It paralyzed him for a bit, then he regained his wits and feeling and got the heck out of dodge. I've seen it happen first hand (several years ago). What's the arrow tell you? It's gonna be plenty cool tonight. Go back in the morning and look at the sign. The sign and the arrow willtell you a lot about what's going on.

watermedic

I haven't seen "spinal shock" with a bow before. Many, many times with a gun.

My guess is that he has crawled off into a blow down or some privet. He may make 100 yds or so, but that's about it.

Good Luck!!

supernube

I don't see any point in waiting. If you hit the spine he has crawled away using his front legs and is suffering in some thick stuff. If you missed and hit backstrap/no man's land, you'll never recover him anyway.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No. If you truly made a spine shot, his back legs won't work. But I have seen them drag themselves a ways with just their front legs.

Buddy of mine killed a nice ten-pointer with a muzzleloader a few years ago. While we were skinning it, we found a broadhead literally embedded partway up on the blades in its spine with a cyst grown around it. He said it was acting normally, and chasing a doe when he shot it.