To late for planting clover and chicory?

Do y’all think it is to late to plant crimson clover, arrowleaf clover, Durana clover, daikon radishes, chicory, oats, and wheat? Will be using a no till drill. I am located in Chatham county on the Ogeechee were the water is brackish. I had a lot going on at the plantation I work at and just got caught up. I have planted all this for the past 2 years and had great success but I had everything planted before November. The fields I intend to plant were sprayed in September and don’t have any weeds coming up in them. The deer are still heavily feeding on my beans, peas, and sunn hemp from last spring and I thought about no till drilling clover and wheat over what is left in those plots My goal was to establish year round plots of arrowleaf, crimson, Durana, and chicory in the plots that are already sprayed. Some people suggested frost seeding the clover in February but we don’t get much frost down here. Any input or experience with planting in December would be greatly appreciated.

Killdee

Just heard cold weather coming in next week I’d also say wait, clover seed is too expensive to waste.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you were doing a 1/2 acre I'd give it a try, but if you're doing several acres, I'd probably save my seed for next year. That will be your best chance of establishing a perennial clover plot. Check out the minimum germination temps, in the chart below.

However, if you did want to plant something, I'd give the (cheap) wheat and maybe the oats a go. If nothing else, but to try to keep something growing in your plots, but just don't plant it too heavy (60 lbs/acre).

Then if you have a reasonable stand of wheat (on just a couple of plots), in early February, go ahead and broadcast some of your Durana, into the wheat at about 5-6 lbs/acre. I would only do a couple of your plots to try, in your specific area (and pray for timely rains).

The big reason for a fall planting of perennial clover, is to help get the root system established before the heat of the summer comes along and also to help reduce competition from weeds. Weeds will be a battle in the spring. If you decided to save all your seed for next fall, there would be nothing wrong with that, either.

Attachments

• PH rates.JPG
    PH rates.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 465

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Then next fall, maybe try some Louisiana S-1, or Osceola clover, down in your area. Might be better suited for your more southern region? You could just broadcast it right in to your Durana, if you wanted.

treemanjohn

Banned
I planted Durana and Rye on the 1st in Duluth. So far so good. Both are sprouting now. My Rye is about an inch long

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Wait till Feb. You can frost plant it then. Had some bare spots in our plot. Did a few donuts in the truck, and and threw ours out. Did good.