Tips for managing this duck hole?

This hole used to be a good bid duck hole years ago, with mallards, gadwall, and a few woodies.

The smart weed has taken over the area and there really isn't a good place for the ducks to land?

Any ideas on how to control it? Hedge clippers?

The hole is approx 3-4 acres.

Attachments

• duckhole.jpg
    duckhole.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 1,164

jakebuddy

Smartweed is as good as it gets for food looks like a lot of other debris, looks like a good roost hole though. If it's a beaver dam bust it out in the spring get some new growth.

Its actually not a beaver dam but just a flooded area (floods from a creek) that holds water year round. I was thinking about burning it, but would not know how to do it safely....

mbentle2

We cleared out a huge beaver swamp that was choked out with lue strife using one of those narrow shovels and a small Jon boat to load it in and haul out. Was a lot of work but gave the ducks somewhere to land.

DRBugman85

Get a mud boat with a surface Drive and it want take long to open it up if its not to many stumps to use a surface Drive.

We cleared out a huge beaver swamp that was choked out with lue strife using one of those narrow shovels and a small Jon boat to load it in and haul out. Was a lot of work but gave the ducks somewhere to land.

Interesting, so I am guessing the work paid off, and the ducks used your hole? Can't imagine the work it would take to try and haul the vegetation out of the pond.

Can't get a mud motor boat in there, not accessible enough as of now.

Long Cut

Spot spray herbicide (carefully)
Weed eater
Hand pull larger shrubs
Set decoys
Shoot

Big7

The Oracle
Its actually not a beaver dam but just a flooded area (floods from a creek) that holds water year round. I was thinking about burning it, but would not know how to do it safely....

Forest Service will help you burn it. ;)

tucker80

pump it dry as possible. Then burn it. One of those torches you hook to a 20 lb propane tank. Harbor freight has them pretty cheap.