Mud tires recommendations ?

Dub

I've always had AT tires on my daily driver trucks.

I may try a set of Firestone Destination MT2 next though. Kinda crazy in that the AT is more in line with my driving needs.....but I love the looks of this tire.

Anyone tried them or the original Destination MT ?

watermedic

I just put the Destination MTs on my truck last week.

So far so good!

A little road noise but not too bad. They sure look good!

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Dub, What type of truck is it? The weight of the front end will determine a lot about the life and wear of the tires. On newer Ford trucks I got great life out of Nitto's and Toyo's MT tires. I currently have AT BFG tires and hate them. After they are gone it's back to a MT tire for me. The road noise I actually find soothing to me maybe because I've heard for 25 years since I've always run some sort of a MT tire.

rospaw

I run 3 Vehicles (cj5,Pinz,f150) with Mickey Thompson's and have been happy. One set of Baja Claws are 9 years old and still look/ride great. (spring/fall weekend driving only). The best look for me is the MTZ's. They ride great, not a lot of noise and have the look with the sidewall bite. Not bad off-road either.

Dub

Dub, What type of truck is it? The weight of the front end will determine a lot about the life and wear of the tires. On newer Ford trucks I got great life out of Nitto's and Toyo's MT tires. I currently have AT BFG tires and hate them. After they are gone it's back to a MT tire for me. The road noise I actually find soothing to me maybe because I've heard for 25 years since I've always run some sort of a MT tire.

'17 Tacoma SR5 DoubleCab 4x4.

Running the stock OE tires, Firestone Destination LE.

Very smooth on the interstate, but I'm sure they'd have me stuck in the muck in no time flat.

I run 3 Vehicles (cj5,Pinz,f150) with Mickey Thompson's and have been happy. One set of Baja Claws are 9 years old and still look/ride great. (spring/fall weekend driving only). The best look for me is the MTZ's. They ride great, not a lot of noise and have the look with the sidewall bite. Not bad off-road either.

Sounds great.

Thanks.

My brother-in-law has always been a huge Mickey Thompson fan. Great looking tires.

Great looking truck. I like the looks of those Destination MT's on there !!! :cheers:

Mine won't be oversized, either. I'm not lifting and will be keeping the OE wheels. Probably 265/75R16 is most likely size.

Last edited:
I haven't personally heard of problems with the Firestones, but Cooper and Mickey Thompson make the best tires IMO. Ultimately, it comes down to do you actually plan on driving offroad? If not, Toyo MTs are great; however, they are an extremely heavy tire that will hurt gas mileage. They also don't have the best off-road performance. But if that doesn't bother you they look good and may be a good option. However, I am biased towards Cooper and Mickey Thompson. Check out the Cooper ST Maxx, Mickey Thompson ATZ and MTZ. Check the weight of the tires and try to find a quality tires thats not overly heavy. Hope this helps!

Dub

I haven't personally heard of problems with the Firestones, but Cooper and Mickey Thompson make the best tires IMO. Ultimately, it comes down to do you actually plan on driving offroad? If not, Toyo MTs are great; however, they are an extremely heavy tire that will hurt gas mileage. They also don't have the best off-road performance. But if that doesn't bother you they look good and may be a good option. However, I am biased towards Cooper and Mickey Thompson. Check out the Cooper ST Maxx, Mickey Thompson ATZ and MTZ. Check the weight of the tires and try to find a quality tires thats not overly heavy. Hope this helps!

Very good point on the weight of the tire and impact to milage.

My work commute looks like this on either the trip to or from work....so 45 miles/day is the norm.

Longest non-stop drive I've made in the truck so far:

I've even kicked around the idea of getting some steel wheels and mounting the MT rubber on then swapping out wheels & tires every September--January. :huh:

I wish the timing had been right to simply take my last truck and turn it into a hunt truck and have something else for a daily driver. Just wasn't in the budget at this point in time.

Hoping to do that with this Tacoma in a few years.

Hoss78

Dub I managed to to get the first set of destination mt 2s my firestone dealer sold for my work truck. “3500 Duramax”. After going through dozens of sets of the original destination mt Firestone hit a homerun with the mt 2 I’ve got about 17000 miles on them so far they are holding up well they do roar a bit more it seems but are wearing even and pull good when needed. With the original mts it seemed the rubber was too soft and would beat out and sometimes even tear lugs off when in rough terrain.

Dub

Dub I managed to to get the first set of destination mt 2s my firestone dealer sold for my work truck. “3500 Duramax”. After going through dozens of sets of the original destination mt Firestone hit a homerun with the mt 2 I’ve got about 17000 miles on them so far they are holding up well they do roar a bit more it seems but are wearing even and pull good when needed. With the original mts it seemed the rubber was too soft and would beat out and sometimes even tear lugs off when in rough terrain.

Thanks for the experience, Hoss. Good info.

Thanks.

I'm loving this truck and am looking forward to getting some time to get in the woods with it.

olered

I like the Toyo MT's as well they last quite a while and ride pretty good for a mud tire. I have always put BFG A/T's on my trucks, but they don't do well in thick mud they cake up and don't self clean. My buddy has a set of Super Swamper M16's on his K5 and I was really impressed with how they did going down the road, a lot different than the original TSL's I had on my first truck.

breathe in

i got the terra trac AT II last year and am very happy with them. never had them mudding, but they do well on dry off road and also around construction site debris. (my michelin were getting chunks torn out of them). very responsive for a bigger tire.

they are priced right and there is absolutely no road noise. only thing I'm not crazy about is they do just ok on wet pavement.

they have a cpl models with a more aggressive tread.

i got mine in fla from a mom & pop tire store, buying local.

https://www.herculestire.com/our-tires/suv-and-light-truck/

Dub

I like the Toyo MT's as well they last quite a while and ride pretty good for a mud tire. I have always put BFG A/T's on my trucks, but they don't do well in thick mud they cake up and don't self clean. My buddy has a set of Super Swamper M16's on his K5 and I was really impressed with how they did going down the road, a lot different than the original TSL's I had on my first truck.

Decisions......decisions. :huh:

Dub - Look at this site and you can compare a lot of the tires that are out there. Not recommending buying from them, just to use a resource. I like the Kenda Klever tire for the money.
https://rimzoneonline.com/tires/ken...MIl9u9taSK2AIVy4uzCh3g4g1GEAAYBSAAEgJTI_D_BwE

Thank you !

i got the terra trac AT II last year and am very happy with them. never had them mudding, but they do well on dry off road and also around construction site debris. (my michelin were getting chunks torn out of them). very responsive for a bigger tire.

they are priced right and there is absolutely no road noise. only thing I'm not crazy about is they do just ok on wet pavement.

they have a cpl models with a more aggressive tread.

i got mine in fla from a mom & pop tire store, buying local.

https://www.herculestire.com/our-tires/suv-and-light-truck/

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Looking mighty good !!!!!

fishingtiger

Check out the Toyo RTs. They are between an AT and an MT. I got them about a year ago and love them. Nice aggressive look and a bit quieter on the road than a full MT

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Dub check out the ironman tires. They are made for Hercules by Cooper.

My 06 f 150 has a set of them and they are really nice. I haven't put that many miles on them yet.

I see them on ebay pretty cheap most of the time.

I have the ironman MT's.

IIICrkRepr

I was running the Nitto Trail Grappler, aggressive looks and I had 65k on them before I traded the truck in and could of got another 15k out of them if needed. I average about 20k/year driving. They sing a little but not too bad. Saved close to $50/tire by going down from a 33x12.5R20 to a LT285/55R20 and only gave up .4 inch

red neck richie

I bought a set of nitto graplers. I found the handling on wet pavement was awful. To the point I didn't feel safe driving on them. Especially on a curvy mountain roads in the rain. I had them removed and went back to the at's. Since 90% of my driving is on paved roads and only about 10% off road. I found it hard to find a good mud tire that you don't lose some handling on wet paved road.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I just put a set of BFG mt on my truck last Saturday. Always ran the BFG AT for years and loved them. Decided to go mt this time.

paulito

I went with the Goodyear Duratrac Hybrid. Have been happy thus far with the handling. They are a bit loader than my BFG's and my MPG went down. I've got 30K+ on them now and i doubt they will go the 70K that i got out of my BFG's but they should get a solid 60+.

Honestly, i will likely go back to the BFG's when i need new ones. i miss my MPG and my white letters but i'm a bit old school.