Fall Georgia Turkey Season

six

Number of hunters in the woods is greater during deer season than turkey season and unless you closed deer season which won't happen, a turkey would be an incidental harvest which would increase the yearly turkey harvest exponentially.
Yes, that would be a big issue!

35 Whelen

Deer season would be closed for the fall turkey season. I was asked my opinion on this in a survey one year done for DNR/WRD and that was the conditions.

Deer season would be closed as stated before. Also most states up north that have a fall turkey season also have a short deer season.

lampern

Number of hunters in the woods is greater during deer season than turkey season and unless you closed deer season which won't happen, a turkey would be an incidental harvest which would increase the yearly turkey harvest exponentially.

How so when all rifles except muzzleloading rifles are not legal and neither are slugs or buckshot for turkeys?

lampern

Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia allow fall hunting so its not just a Yankee thing either.

Garnto88

Not enough turkeys on Georgia for fall season. Numbers seem to decrease each year now as it is.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
seems to me the whole deal with turkey hunting is calling in a bird.....this can be done successfully while just carrying a camera.....also a lot of land w/ a lot of turkeys is available year round if you don't carry a firearm...

There is a Fall turkey season here in Ky and it is two birds, and only one can be a gobbler. I was struggling hunting them, and found out it was more about trying to pattern them, a lot like deer hunting. A sage person on here, told me about scattering them and how they will we gobble to get the crew back together. I usually take one Bird in the fall. The Turkey population in this area is exploding, and in the fall, you will see groups of 3 to 4 hundred birds in one group.

KentuckyHeadhunter

It will never work in GA because of all the facts the DNR article states. Population has less to do with it as much as overlapping seasons with varying criteria. Deer and turkey seasons in GA are VERY liberal and long compared to other states. I'm fine with the way it is. I'll travel if I want to hunt fall birds. No biggie.

GLAND1611

Please no fall turkeys! After all the tough seasons the past few seasons we don't need to kill more. I think we should have a two gobbler limit as well.

lampern

It will never work in GA because of all the facts the DNR article states. Population has less to do with it as much as overlapping seasons with varying criteria. Deer and turkey seasons in GA are VERY liberal and long compared to other states. I'm fine with the way it is. I'll travel if I want to hunt fall birds. No biggie.

Also GA allows baiting deer (at least in some counties) and does not allow baiting turkeys in any county

Latest posts