South Georgia-Year Around Food Plot Ideas

silverbullet

I've got about 100 acres I lease in Andersonville, GA with a small 1/2-1/3 opening that I've been planting fall food plots in. Been having pretty good success with a mix of rye/oats/wheat and am looking to try my hand at a year round food plot, any ideas on what to plant? I've got access to atv/small disc harrow so I can bust the soil up somewhat, it's mainly red clay/sandy soil so I was thinking of planting some of the whitetail institute no-plow....Has anyone ever planted this? If I plant this in feb/march will it last through the summer/early fall? Any ideas appreciated.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Assuming you've done a soil sample and gotten your ph up, "Clover is King" for small plots, which I am assuming have a fair amount of shade.

You can work on getting a perennial clover plot going with Imperial Whitetail Institute clovers , or Penningtons Durana, or Osceola or Louisiana S-1 clovers or another Ladion white clover.

Or you can do a wheat, and or oats mix, with crimson, ladino and medium red clover, which for me is year round, with me replanting every fall. When GON gets fixed, I'll up load some more information, or you can look at some of the stuff in here. http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=808598

But all of this should be planted next fall, to give yourself the greatest chance of success.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Some mixes for you to think about. I use a similar mix to the Cadillac Combo

Attachments

• Cool season seed.JPG
    Cool season seed.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 628

mike bell

I copied this from a facebook group the other day. I will been doing something along these lines this year. Hope to get my soil test done in the next week or two.

" Here is the mixture rate for plot. Lab Lab 20 lbs. Soybeans 20 lbs iron clay peas 15 lbs Burgundy bush beans 10 lbs Milgarra butterfly peas 8 lbs. Velvet beans 8 lbs Corn 5 lbs Buckwheat 5 lbs Chicory 5 lbs WGF 3 lbs. Spread at the rate of 60 lbs per acre. "

"The WGF and Dwarf corn are great for the beans and peas to climb upwards. Fertilizer was triple 13 granular at planting and after emergence when plants were about 4 inches tall we sprayed with a application of Diamond Grow humic acid and at 8 weeks another application of humic acid and liquid soluble fertilizer. In the south this will be a 4 season annual and in the north a 3 season annual. Yields are 7.5 to 8 tons per acre with this blend. Grows to about 5 to 6 ft tall and does bedded fawns inside. Great rabbit cover and food as well as turkeys loved the buckwheat."

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Miller and Early co, we plant year round. Winter will be oats, wheat, rape, turnips, collards and radishes. Spring, we plant iron clay peas, peanuts, and sunflowers. Deer love sunflower leaves and any kind of legume.
We are serious about our food plots. Our club has almost done away with four wheelers and have gone to golf carts with lift kits. Things sure got quiet when we done that..

Attachments

• A579.jpg
    A579.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 196

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Few plots

Attachments

• A660.jpg
    A660.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 194
  • foodplot1.jpg