GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Bowhunting
Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Default Frozen Bow?

A few times a year I'll leave my bow hanging in my tree overnight if I plan on going back the next morning. With it getting down into the twenties last night and below freezing for 9 or 10 hours, I didn't think it would be a good idea to get here this morning and possibly pull back a frozen bow. Is there a temperature threshold that you shouldn't go under where pulling back your bow is concerned? Of course my muscles say absolutely, just not sure about the bow.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:52 PM

I hunted with my bow that sat in the truck overnight. Next morning it was 26. When got up the tree with my stand I pulled it back like always to warm up and I could hardly pull that cold bow back
Old 01-07-2018, 09:52 PM

Man,...how do people kill deer in the Midwest in the winter with a cold bow? So hard to pull back, apt to break. They must have cold weather proof bows for late season.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzippi jb View Post
Man,...how do people kill deer in the Midwest in the winter with a cold bow? So hard to pull back, apt to break. They must have cold weather proof bows for late season.
Now you're on to something!

Limb warmers, like the leg warmers girls use to wear to school in the 80's. Whoot!! I'm rich!!

Or make a bow you can plug in to your ozonics machine. Like a diesel truck. Whoot! What am I gonna do with all the money??
Old 01-08-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permitchaser View Post
I hunted with my bow that sat in the truck overnight. Next morning it was 26. When got up the tree with my stand I pulled it back like always to warm up and I could hardly pull that cold bow back
I would say the difficulty in drawing was on you, not the bow. Were you bundled up in thick layers?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM

I realize this is a dumb question, but like the OP said...can they freeze?

I was invited to the MW for a late season hunt and couldnt make it work with schedule, but the temps were in the single digits and the wind chill below zero..........

do those temps affect the bow at all?
Old 01-08-2018, 04:30 PM

I've seen Tom Miranda hunt the Arctic with a Mathews bow and take polar bears and musk ox.

Let's examine the parts of a bow that could be affected by extreme cold. Aluminum does not get brittle like steel in extremely low temps. Bows with laminated limbs, the fibers won't get brittle, perhaps the glue holding them together might. I doubt any temps that a human would be hunting in would affect them noticeably. Strings? Like the carbon fibers, cold won't affect them.

Rubber components like silencers, monkey tails, limb-savers, etc. They might get brittle and break off, but wouldn't affect the drawing of the bow.

And as far as wind chill, it's only felt by us. If it's 10 degrees with a wind chill of minus 10, your bow only knows it's 10 degrees.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:35 PM

This ^^^^^
Iíd be more concerned about leaving my bow hanging in a tree overnight. It canít possibbly be that heavy and cumbersome to carry.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 65 View Post
This ^^^^^
Iíd be more concerned about leaving my bow hanging in a tree overnight. It canít possibbly be that heavy and cumbersome to carry.
I know some guys that hung their bows on tree limbs in elk camp in Colorado once and awoke to all their strings chewed on by mice.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:34 PM

I leave mine in the tree a lot , especially when I take my rifle also !
Old 01-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Retired Admin

JB, I have left mine in the tree many, many, many times over the years with temps in single digits or below and I have hunted more times than that with it hanging beside me in those same type temps. The bow will be fine.

As for leaving one in the tree...I will leave it and backpack etc sometimes just to get in and out of tree as quiet and quickly as possible knowing I am coming back to same stand that eve or next morning.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:33 PM

I can walk and climb with my pack and bow as quickly and quietly as I can without it. I donít take a chance leaving my equipment in the woods. Anything can happen, but to each his own.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
JB, I have left mine in the tree many, many, many times over the years with temps in single digits or below and I have hunted more times than that with it hanging beside me in those same type temps. The bow will be fine.

As for leaving one in the tree...I will leave it and backpack etc sometimes just to get in and out of tree as quiet and quickly as possible knowing I am coming back to same stand that eve or next morning.
I leave mine all the time too, cold weather will not hurt it.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:02 PM

I have seen a 3 legged dog and been to 2 world's fairs- but I aint never seen anyone leave their bow hanging in a tree overnight-wow. Not knocking you guys that do but I didn't even know that was an option- LOL-but hey if you guys say so. Besides my bow is nic named " Bow-yonce' " and she would get pretty mad if I left her out in the cold all night...lol.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Only issue I had leaving mine overnight was I ended up having to head back home an hour and a half away so had to go back in and get it that night.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
I would say the difficulty in drawing was on you, not the bow. Were you bundled up in thick layers?
I was in a full body suit that I wear and practice shooting in it. I work out with weights 3 days a week to help with bone density. One of my exercise is to help pull the bow back. I've been doing this for 25 years
Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I was in a full body suit that I wear and practice shooting in it. I work out with weights 3 days a week to help with bone density. One of my exercise is to help pull the bow back. I've been doing this for 25 years
Do you warm up before lifting those weights? Did you warm up before trying to pull the bow back?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not questioning your strength, but if you have cold muscles and/or are encumbered by thick layers, it could be difficult to draw the bow, regardless of how much practice you have.

I'm not belittling you at all, don't take it that way. But 26 degrees isn't that cold. Certainly not cold enough to have any impact on the mechanical operation of a bow.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:05 AM

I hunted in Ohio last week where it was anywhere from -7 to around 12deg. I drew my bow a few times each sit, and it never felt any different. I wouldn't leave mine in the tree just in case something comes up and I couldn't make it back for awhile.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seph View Post
Do you warm up before lifting those weights? Did you warm up before trying to pull the bow back?
I always warm up before lifting weights by doing core exercises. I only warmed up that cold day by walking in. I try not to make too much noise while in my climber by doing jumping jax. But I always pull my bow back when I get settled to see if I clear everything and too warm up
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
I'm not questioning your strength, but if you have cold muscles and/or are encumbered by thick layers, it could be difficult to draw the bow, regardless of how much practice you have.

I'm not belittling you at all, don't take it that way. But 26 degrees isn't that cold. Certainly not cold enough to have any impact on the mechanical operation of a bow.
You did not hurt my feelings but when I pulled that bow back it was harder than normal
I even shot it when I got home cause I thought the strings got crossed but it felt fine
I have an old Hoyt that only let's of 50% if that
I'll have to disagree about 26 not being cold. Its dam cold
Old 01-11-2018, 04:14 PM

Not that cold at all.
This year I killed a 8 point on a 10 degree morning. No problem pulling my bow, no problem with mechanics. Snow was still on the ground.
I even had it out in the big snow we had this year, which was a first for me. The sight kept getting filled up with snow and I had to constantly clean it off.
Still no mechanical problems-although water intrusion is the biggest concern in snow IMO.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM

I leave mine in the tree all the time, never had an issue. Left it overnight in iowa a few years back and had to break the icicles off my arrow the next morning! When I'm gonna hunt the same stand the next morning after an evening hunt my bow spends the night in the tree 95% of the time.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:55 AM

Your more likely to have your release freeze up. Happened to me in Dec. If a big buck had showers I'd have been in a mess. A little oil and it was good to go again