bald eagles

GeorgiaBob

My wife and I have a little "get away" house on a small lake in Liberty County (near Savannah) and two spring's ago we were sitting on the porch, contemplating whether to cook lunch or go out to eat, when a giant dark object plummeted out of the sky and landed with a grand splash near the middle of the lake (about 200 yards from us). Bubbles, frothing water, small waves, and finally, a bird surfaced. Clearly it was not a duck, swan, pelican, or any other water bird I had seen. My wife pointed out that it was trying to move through the water by stroking wings on the surface and insisted it must be hurt. I finally recognized the brown and white feathered head, curved beak, and very dark flight feathers of a young, male, American Bald Eagle.

We watched the bird struggle onto shore about 100 yards from us, my wife all along insisting it was hurt. When I finally got a good look at the eagle in the short grass along the shoreline, a fish - almost as big as the bird and likely heavier - was visible in those enormous claws. When I started laughing, my wife was upset, until I went in and got the binoculars for her. That young eagle had taken a 6 to 10 pound fish and "paddled" to shore instead of releasing the catch that was far too heavy for him to fly off with. He spent almost an hour eating his fill before struggling mightily to get airborne.

We still see the, now mature, eagle flying around occasionally, sometimes circling over the lake. He is bigger now, majestic looking with snow white head and tail feathers. It is nice to have him for a neighbor. I know (from a neighbors report) that the eagle sometimes lands on our roof to watch the lake (but only when we are not there). I haven't seen a female, or any other males around, so I would expect that he will start wandering far afield this spring, looking for a wife.

MX5HIGH

Here are the eagles from Berry College (Rome). They have come back to the same nest for the last several years. They are interesting to watch every day on the Berry eagle cam.

jcbcpa

White Oak Pastures just up the road from me in Bluffton, GA is an organic/grassfed farm raising cattle and all sorts of poultry and fowl. I have ridden by there and counted as many as 12 eagles sitting around. They are a problem for them.

carver

The Toccoa river is below my cabin (Lake Blue Ridge is about a mile away) I see eagles along the river when I'm trout fishing.

carver

Bald Eagle

Newport road and Double Head Gap road

Attachments

• thumbnail_0115181534b[1].jpg
    thumbnail_0115181534b[1].jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 265

Capt Quirk

I remember as a kid, there were a pair of Eagles in the woods next to my Elementary school. Those woods became home to a K Mart and a strip plaza, which became pretty much abandoned. And you better believe that they will tear up more woods to build more strip plazas, even with all the empty ones around.

carver

I remember as a kid, there were a pair of Eagles in the woods next to my Elementary school. Those woods became home to a K Mart and a strip plaza, which became pretty much abandoned. And you better believe that they will tear up more woods to build more strip plazas, even with all the empty ones around.

Progress!I don't get it

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
White Oak Pastures just up the road from me in Bluffton, GA is an organic/grassfed farm raising cattle and all sorts of poultry and fowl. I have ridden by there and counted as many as 12 eagles sitting around. They are a problem for them.

White Oak has a huge problem with them during the winter with migrating birds. There are lots of articles on the web about it. I don’t remember exact numbers, but it is staggering how many show up each year.

We have a large and growing population on West Point lake. I’ve counted as many as 9 together up the river arm. They will feast on carp in the spring when the move shallow.

Big7

The Oracle
Oconee has had them at least 20 years.
My wife #2's parents have a house there and we went every weekend.

Have been seeing them there when fishing since then.

NOYDB

BANNED
Typical wildlife vs the public. People want them when they aren't there. Wildlife population recovers or moves in and the conflict with people starts to escalate.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Saw a big one on Eddins Rd, Dothan, Al month or so ago. Several miles from any river or lake, oddly

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We`re covered up with em on Lake Seminole and see em eating road kill all over Southwest Georgia.

Attachments

• eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 187

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Seen couple on west point. seen couple along the Ocmulgee below Jackson lake. Saw one at clayton water land. Whole bunch of them along the forgotten coast of florida.

snarlinbear

We`re covered up with em on Lake Seminole and see em eating road kill all over Southwest Georgia.

I'm wondering if anyone other than me saw the Berry College eagles last spring feeding their young a small spotted fawn. Unfortunately I don't know how to do a screen capture . It was clearly a deer and for a while its small hooves were clearly visible. I've wondered if it was a road kill or the intended kill of the opportunistic bird. My suspicion was a kill due to it's very small size.