Rules For House Buying

Jack Ryan

1 Never buy a house with an easement issue.

2 Never buy a house on the north facing hill.

3 Never buy a house on the other side of the creek from the public road.

4 Never buy a house on a cement block foundation.

5 Never buy a house from a fireman. They all think they are carpenters and have too much time on their hands.

6 Don't borrow money.

7 If you are going to get a mortgage any way, never let your housing expense exceed one regular 40 hour week take home pay check. NEVER.

T-N-T

Never buy real estate on when emptions are high. You will over pay.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my cement block full basement foundation has been great since I built my house in 1983. I poured a good foundation with plenty of footings, and haven't had a crack, split, leak or any settling.

Big Foot

Easement issues - yep!!!! That's a fact!

westcobbdog

I could add a few:
Employ a buyers agent to protect your interests, it’s free to you.
Buy owners title insurance. Beware termites and rodents, I am seeing these in more houses than not. Consider getting a boundary line survey, too. If the home inspector does not invite a bug / rodent man along be sure and invite your own. Get a 1 yr home warranty covering major mechanical systems not to exceed $500 or so, triple check the comps because prices are too high right now and you make your money when you buy.

hopper

All good advise. Another rule dont let the advise above keep you from a good deal. Know what you can and cant indure if buying a problem house. Be patient and make sure the property meets your needs.
I just bought a house with all the above except easment issues. Min. home in hood sold for 257,000 last yr. other homes around the lake over a mil. no accosiations I paid 138,000 putting 50,000 into it and added 900 sqft and a bath.
Plan on 10 yr stay so my daughter can stay in school district. It took about a year to find.
Like I said above great advise but deals can be found in homes with issues.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Never buy a house in town. Find one surrounded by plantations, farms, woods, and swamp.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Never buy a house in town. Find one surrounded by plantations, farms, woods, and swamp.

Nic is right... Never buy a house where you can see your neighbors house

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
looks like I screwed up somewhere along the way

Havana Dude

And never take advice from someone on the internet who thinks they know everything.

pacecars

I know several fireman that are dang good carpenters

naildrvr

The best advice yet. I have 1 neighbor that I can see, but she is an 85 year young widow so I don't mind seeing her house. The other neighbors are 1/2 mile on each side of me.

Dialer

My house was built in 1977 on concrete blocks, surrounded by wonderful neighbors, absolutely love it! Very solid and homey, nice original cedar siding and brick. $110k. Valued at $145k after 2 years.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My house was built in 1977 on concrete blocks, surrounded by wonderful neighbors, absolutely love it! Very solid and homey, nice original cedar siding and brick. $110k. Valued at $145k after 2 years.

Id bet in 77 it was probably 55 or less

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Never buy a 2 story house, when you get old/drunk you sure don't want to be climbing stairs.:bounce: