Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Other Faiths

Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Default Three God people.

I was talking to a friend of mine that went to Libya in their recent turmoil. He told me that him being a christian was a very big deal for the libyans he was with. Said they had all kinds of incorrect ideas about christians and their motives. One of the big problems was their beliefs that Jesus allowed christians to kill non christians ( crusaders) and that christians believed in three gods.

Said that the Devinchi Code is very popular reading there as a way to understand christians.

I wonder if we know arab muslims in the same way?

Anyway after three weeks of working side by side, throught many conversations, both sides came to understand that each side was peace loving.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM

G2, I understand the premise of your comment, and appreciate it. As many on here know, I try to be as open minded as possible with these things.

Unfortunately for Americans, we live in a world where Muslims kill us for religious reasons. Thats a hard bridge to cross when trying accept them as peaceful.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon 2 View Post
One of the big problems was their beliefs that Jesus allowed christians to kill non christians ( crusaders) and that christians believed in three gods.

Said that the Devinchi Code is very popular reading there as a way to understand christians.
Very sad.

1) Jesus did not put His stamp of approval on the crusades.

2) Christians don't believe in three gods. The first line of the Nicene Creed reads, "We believe in one God ..."

3) Reading The Da Vinci Code to understand Christians is like watching Inglourious Basterds as a way to understand World War II. It's an alternate history.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
3) Reading The Da Vinci Code to understand Christians is like watching Inglourious Basterds as a way to understand World War II. It's an alternate history.
Didn't quite get the "buzz" about that movie. I usually like his stuff, but though that movie was junk.

Anyway, good point. I wish we could have more conversations with Muslims so that we could better explain our position. I don't know any that are from other countries. The only Muslim folks I know are Americans who converted.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB0704 View Post
Didn't quite get the "buzz" about that movie. I usually like his stuff, but though that movie was junk.
Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Landa was worth the price of admission -- one of the best performances I've ever seen.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Landa was worth the price of admission -- one of the best performances I've ever seen.
Yea, I agree. But, I thought Bradd Pitt was doing comedy. I guess that was the point, because the scene where he is acting like a hillbilly pretending to be Italian made me laugh like crazy.

However, overall, I still say it was junk. Not big on historical fantasy.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
...the scene where he is acting like a hillbilly pretending to be Italian made me laugh like crazy.
Me too. That was classic.

Last edited by centerpin fan; 11-30-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Imagine being in a religious culture that is dead set on one God, the god of Abraham, believing that christians are trying to convert the faithful to their faithless and pagan christian doctrines!

Imagine the pressure on one muslim in that culture to even entertain a spiritual relationship with a christian that even remotely could turn to a conversion from Islam!!!!!!!!!!!

The unthinkable ( figuratively) comparison might be the jews under Jeroboam who converted from Yaweh to Baal!!!!!

Also it is perhaps usefull to consider that Libya is not yet westernized and the people of Libya, mostly muslims, when they view the west are not spiritually impressed by the fruits of its many forms of christianity.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon 2 View Post
Imagine being in a religious culture that is dead set on one God, the god of Abraham, believing that christians are trying to convert the faithful to their faithless and pagan christian doctrines!

Imagine the pressure on one muslim in that culture to even entertain a spiritual relationship with a christian that even remotely could turn to a conversion from Islam!!!!!!!!!!!

Even worse, imagine being a woman in that culture.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Every religion is misrepresented in some way by it's opponets. I have heard it said that Muslims are a peaceful people given a bad name by the extreme of the Muslim faith. We don't actually see that many Muslims killing people. Sure we see it sometimes but not considering how many Muslims there are. Hard to acuse 1000's of Muslims as killers for what 2% did
Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gr8bldr View Post
Every religion is misrepresented in some way by it's opponets. I have heard it said that Muslims are a peaceful people given a bad name by the extreme of the Muslim faith. We don't actually see that many Muslims killing people. Sure we see it sometimes but not considering how many Muslims there are. Hard to acuse 1000's of Muslims as killers for what 2% did

This (misrepresentation) also goes for denominations within the same religion. I don't even know how to go about thinking about this...

I am fully aware that we all demonize the enemy...but ....
Old 11-30-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. The problem is that we have an entire generation of Americans who have grown up in a country at war to reconcile Muslim atrocities (simplified thinking, I know, but we are talking about a kid's perspective). That type of thing is hard to overcome. I know it is for me, anyway. And maybe that kind-of supports the point of the OP.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM

People live in fear.
Once we learn to get over fearing what we do not understand there will be more peace among us.

...simple isnt it?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFair View Post
People live in fear.
Once we learn to get over fearing what we do not understand there will be more peace among us.
...simple isnt it?
I don't understand how that works. Let's say we stop fearing the Muslim terrorists, does that mean they will stop trying to kill us?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 AM

No...
Everyone has to come to a mutual understanding of each other.
We are going to have to peacefully agree to disagree.

Im not saying its going to happen tomorrow, next year, the next 20 years, or even in this lifetime.

...We are at the dawning of a new age
"The Age of Aquarius"

Currently we are leaving "The Age of Pisces" which is the cause of all these religious wars.

(each age lasts 2000 years, give or take..)

But this is a whole different topic.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFair View Post
No...
Everyone has to come to a mutual understanding of each other.
We are going to have to peacefully agree to disagree.

Im not saying its going to happen tomorrow, next year, the next 20 years, or even in this lifetime.

...We are at the dawning of a new age
"The Age of Aquarius"

Currently we are leaving "The Age of Pisces" which is the cause of all these religious wars.

(each age lasts 2000 years, give or take..)

But this is a whole different topic.
OK, I'm going to topic this out of this tread. I what to know about the age of Aquarius and why at the end of the Age of Pisces we are haveing religious wars.

Here I go..........................
Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Although I am not an authority on the Muslim religion, I have learned that something like 80 plus percent of them are OK with the violence that the 2% do. That is not a religion of peace. They have no reason to be honest with ANYONE that is not a muslim. Everyone else is an infidel and its ok to lie to them, without concequence, either now or in the 'afterlife'. That is why it does no good to negotiate with them. Even the 2 sects dont believe the other is a real muslim, sheite and sunni. That is why Iraq will never quit killing their own and will also never settle down to peace.
Dont let the media tell you otherwise, even though that is the new agenda they are pushing, including the new show about...muslims in America, or what ever its called.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlfinfan View Post
Although I am not an authority on the Muslim religion...
Which is why you shouldn't spread your "opinion" on the Muslim faith, which is called Islam by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlfinfan View Post
Even the 2 sects dont believe the other is a real muslim, sheite and sunni.
No different than the different Christian sects (denominations).
Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I don't understand how that works. Let's say we stop fearing the Muslim terrorists, does that mean they will stop trying to kill us?
We just wish.

I wish I could get out of the fear of walking a mile down the road at 3am to get a warm krispykreme donut. Well maybe if I carried my shotgun I'd feel safe doing that.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. The problem is that we have an entire generation of Americans who have grown up in a country at war to reconcile Muslim atrocities (simplified thinking, I know, but we are talking about a kid's perspective). That type of thing is hard to overcome. I know it is for me, anyway. And maybe that kind-of supports the point of the OP.
And the generation before that, it was communism.

Our entire country is being taken over by illegals without a shot fired. We need to be protecting our own country and borders and let the rest of the world fight each other to the death.....muslims have been causing problems for thousands of years, not all muslims but some. But don't think for a minute if the extremists tried to take over our country, they wouldn't have plenty of backup even from peaceful muslims in this country. Same way we backed each other in killing off the native americans, who did nothing to us.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwoman View Post
And the generation before that, it was communism.

Our entire country is being taken over by illegals without a shot fired. We need to be protecting our own country and borders and let the rest of the world fight each other to the death.....muslims have been causing problems for thousands of years, not all muslims but some. But don't think for a minute if the extremists tried to take over our country, they wouldn't have plenty of backup even from peaceful muslims in this country. Same way we backed each other in killing off the native americans, who did nothing to us.
Rock of ages cleft for me...was perhaps a moral recognition of the seperation, and not a nearing, of the justice of Christ and the justice lived by a pilgrim.

Perhaps it is time to pen a new hymn of not only a world to come, for and from a world of sorrow that will ever be, but to all of creation from the justice of our Lord and without seperation in all our hearts. Can we continue forever to hide in the Lord?

Last edited by gordon 2; 01-08-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 PM

IMO, I believe about 90% what has been posted above is incorrect. My short and shallow background dealing with Muslims has been mostly in Iraq while I was deployed. I was in a unique position, twice, while deployed. We were on a small team of Army guys serving as combat advisers to the Iraqi Army. This put us into position to live on an Iraqi FOB and spend 24 hours a day with them for a year. My counterpart was an elderly LTC and loved talking religion to me. I also had other counterparts from Sunni, Shia, and Kurds. I could talk for hours on this subject but the main point is that 99% of the Muslims are the nicest and caring people that you have ever met. The other 1% make the news. Most Muslims love Christians and believe that we will join them in heaven. Even the radical Muslims don't hate Christians, they hate Americans and the sinful way of life. We were in the worst part of Iraq and it was worse than the news ever reported. Everyone was fighting everyone EXCEPT in one area. That was the only Christian area that we had in our area of operations and it was quiet. No body bothered them, no Sunni's, Shia, or even AQI. There was to hate for the Christians and therefore no violence. We went and checked on them every once and a while but that was it. As for the Sunni and Shia thing, well most Iraqi's will tell you that there wasn't much fighting between them until the media (out media) kept reporting that there was fighting between them. To understand that violence over there you have to study the power struggle between tribes. But anyway, I have made many lifelong Muslim friends from Iraq and have learned a lot from them. BTW, the most common female name in Iraq is Miriam, a version of Mary.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrun View Post
IMO, I believe about 90% what has been posted above is incorrect. My short and shallow background dealing with Muslims has been mostly in Iraq while I was deployed. I was in a unique position, twice, while deployed. We were on a small team of Army guys serving as combat advisers to the Iraqi Army. This put us into position to live on an Iraqi FOB and spend 24 hours a day with them for a year. My counterpart was an elderly LTC and loved talking religion to me. I also had other counterparts from Sunni, Shia, and Kurds. I could talk for hours on this subject but the main point is that 99% of the Muslims are the nicest and caring people that you have ever met. The other 1% make the news. Most Muslims love Christians and believe that we will join them in heaven. Even the radical Muslims don't hate Christians, they hate Americans and the sinful way of life. We were in the worst part of Iraq and it was worse than the news ever reported. Everyone was fighting everyone EXCEPT in one area. That was the only Christian area that we had in our area of operations and it was quiet. No body bothered them, no Sunni's, Shia, or even AQI. There was to hate for the Christians and therefore no violence. We went and checked on them every once and a while but that was it. As for the Sunni and Shia thing, well most Iraqi's will tell you that there wasn't much fighting between them until the media (out media) kept reporting that there was fighting between them. To understand that violence over there you have to study the power struggle between tribes. But anyway, I have made many lifelong Muslim friends from Iraq and have learned a lot from them. BTW, the most common female name in Iraq is Miriam, a version of Mary.
Perhaps, in this instance, there is a significant difference between the religious-social IQ of Iraqi and Libyan societies? Iraqi society was ever more open than Libya's, perhaps. Sadam's long standing foreign minister was christian if I recall. Iraq has been/is a large and culturally divers country compared to Libya's...

My limited knowledge comes from Libyan and Iraq doctors and university profs..which I have worked with. All these people as you say, are the nicest and caring people you will ever meet... and all muslim.

Last edited by gordon 2; 01-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrun View Post
Most Muslims love Christians and believe that we will join them in heaven. Even the radical Muslims don't hate Christians, they hate Americans and the sinful way of life.
I think it would be a better world if the 99% of muslims you speak of would try and tell us this stuff themselves, instead of letting the radicals within their religion be their ambassadors to the world.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I think it would be a better world if the 99% of muslims you speak of would try and tell us this stuff themselves, instead of letting the radicals within their religion be their ambassadors to the world.
Would 99% of christians ever do what you ask of muslims?

For example are the republican candidates of which one is perhaps going to be the next president of the US the nice and careing christian ambassadors to the world or example of christian radicals, extreme within a greater christian religion? From the perspective of other nations and religions? The reported sectarianism between mormans and evanglicals in this political case, is a reminder of religious and political sectarianism elsewhere??? Perhaps? Just sayin.