Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Spiritual Help and Religion Discussions > Other Faiths

Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethead View Post
Stories by anonymous authors about somebody named Jesus claimed that he had a dominion over death. Jesus never had written about his own account with death, never personally documented coming back from being dead or as far as we know has never written one single thing about anything.
Yes, I agree.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 PM

I was brought up Christian and thanks to other christians, I found another faith that made sense to me. Christianity can't be the only right religion because it isn't right for a lot of people.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM

All religions can be wrong, but logic dictates that no two can be opposite and true at the same time.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Not one religion has it 100%. I like to think each one holds a small piece of the puzzle.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummdaddy View Post
all people originated from no religion....it was taught to them...someone came up with it
Yes, someone did. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
I was brought up Christian and thanks to other christians, I found another faith that made sense to me. Christianity can't be the only right religion because it isn't right for a lot of people.
I would find it interesting as to what your new faith is.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDERSNATCH View Post
All religions can be wrong, but logic dictates that no two can be opposite and true at the same time.
So you don't think someone can combine Native American religion and Christianity together?
What about Gullah and Christianity?
Homeopathy and Christianity? (although homeopathy isn't a religion)
Astrology and Christianity?
Vodoo?
Q: Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in voodoo or the occult?
A: We both do.
Q: Voodoo?
A: We do.
Q: You do?
A: Yes, voodoo.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 AM

Something I found out not too long ago, that I thought was interesting, was that the Mormons believe that the ancient Mayan story of Quezacotl was actually the story of Jesus Christ (in their own words). Now, I am not saying it is, I am just putting it out there.

If anyone is familiar with the story of Operation Auca ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Auca ) they would recall that the Huaorani people already had an understanding of "God" and the story of creation. Just in their own dialect and understanding of the terms. The most remote people on earth, having no contact with outsiders, understood the basic tenets of what we call "Christianity".

The Huaorani that murdered those 5 missionaries, understood that what they did was rebellious and evil. Really? How is it they would understand without ever having been "indoctrinated" by the outside world?

Something "imaginary and made up" must have been the motivating factor behind them having a conscious and an understanding of what is right and what is wrong.

Where does that come from?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 AM

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

I have been studying this guy for a couple of years. Many atheists, polytheists, claim that religion, as we know it today, originated with him. One claim is that the Christian term "free will" was "invented" by him.

Nietzsche had a lot to say about him too. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~atheist/Zoroasta.htm

Quote:
Nietzsche blamed the Jews and their offshoot, the Christians for creating a religion based on, what he called, 'slave morality'.
And we all know what that led to ... the rabid anti-semitism of Hitler's Third Reich (Nietzsche inspired Hitler). Not a lot of people realize that it wasn't only Hitler's goal to rid Europe of the Jews .. he also wanted to rid Europe of religion (according to his personal secretary Traudl Junge). Hitler used Christianity to promote anti-semitism by completely changing the identity of Christ.

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=fiCJeNJIhoAC

Last edited by schweisshund; 12-14-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwoman View Post
I agree with a lot of what is said here. I guess you get what you believe in. I don't want to be a muslim because I don't want '99' virgins as my reward. I don't know what the women get, stoned probably or beheaded.

I don't want to be hindu or buddhist because I don't want to come back as aunt ann the rat or cow that can't be killed because it's a past relative and it's holy....holy cow!

I personally just like what Christianity has to offer....see Jesus, see all your family that went before you, being joyful and happy. That's just what I chose....I like that religion the best.

If I'm wrong I guess I won't get the 99 virgins and come back as a cow, standing in the shadow of a starving baby, that I wish I could feed.....eat the cow, eat the cow.

This made me chuckle as it was simmering with self righteousness and disdain for other religions. You should check out some of the greats hits in the bible. It's got a few good ones in it as well.

Many of the thumpers chirp about other religions but I bet in these days they couldn't pass the test...look here:

A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed" Deuteronomy 22:13-21

The bible is as full of the woman bashing stuff as the koran is with the 99 virgin deal.

At least the buddhist don't roll out and kill "in the name of God or Allah"

With that said I'm a Christian married to a Buddhist. Her family is more decent and righteous than most Christians I know. It just happens that they weren't born in this country. If God sends them to h3ll over some of the chumps I know here then something is really wrong with this picture.

Just saying. Have a blessed day.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweisshund View Post
Something I found out not too long ago, that I thought was interesting, was that the Mormons believe that the ancient Mayan story of Quezacotl was actually the story of Jesus Christ (in their own words). Now, I am not saying it is, I am just putting it out there.

If anyone is familiar with the story of Operation Auca ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Auca ) they would recall that the Huaorani people already had an understanding of "God" and the story of creation. Just in their own dialect and understanding of the terms. The most remote people on earth, having no contact with outsiders, understood the basic tenets of what we call "Christianity".

The Huaorani that murdered those 5 missionaries, understood that what they did was rebellious and evil. Really? How is it they would understand without ever having been "indoctrinated" by the outside world?

Something "imaginary and made up" must have been the motivating factor behind them having a conscious and an understanding of what is right and what is wrong.

Where does that come from?
Kind of like alien/ufo/squatch sightings and descriptions...
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelix View Post
This made me chuckle as it was simmering with self righteousness and disdain for other religions. You should check out some of the greats hits in the bible. It's got a few good ones in it as well.

Many of the thumpers chirp about other religions but I bet in these days they couldn't pass the test...look here:

A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed" Deuteronomy 22:13-21

The bible is as full of the woman bashing stuff as the koran is with the 99 virgin deal.

With that said I'm a Christian married to a Buddhist. Her family is more decent and righteous than most Christians I know. It just happens that they weren't born in this country. If God sends them to h3ll over some of the chumps I know here then something is really wrong with this picture.

It's refreshing to see that you have neither.

Last edited by centerpin fan; 12-28-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelix View Post

I'm an easy going guy and can see your point. What are the views of women in early Buddhism? I've read women have to be reincarnated as a man to gain salvation. I'm sure their beliefs are as varied as Christians.If you have any children, do you teach them both religions? Do ya'll go to each others service?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:15 AM

This why I began attending a non denominational church. I grew up Baptist Methodist and Presbyterian and all 3 contradicted each other.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panfried0419 View Post
This why I began attending a non denominational church. I grew up Baptist Methodist and Presbyterian and all 3 contradicted each other.
Does your non denominational church contradict the Baptist, Methodist or Presbyterian?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM

Lets re-read together sir. Non-denominational. Me and my family have found a church that's not heck fire and brimstone, no w2 checking, and teach the bible not self help crud.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Lets re-read together sir. Non-denominational.
I understood you the first time. I just found it interestingly silly.

Quote:
Me and my family have found a church that's not heck fire and brimstone, no w2 checking, and teach the bible not self help crud.
I gathered that from the earlier post.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 PM

For some reason I was reminded of this joke:
Drought Affects Churches
Severe drought affects churches in northern Alabama,
Tennessee, and northwest Georgia.

Did you know that because of the drought in these areas,
church budgets are greatly affected?

Baptist churches are having to sprinkle for baptisms; the
Methodists are using wet wipes for their baptisms; and the
Catholics are praying that God will turn the wine back into
water.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
For some reason I was reminded of this joke:
Drought Affects Churches
Severe drought affects churches in northern Alabama,
Tennessee, and northwest Georgia.

Did you know that because of the drought in these areas,
church budgets are greatly affected?

Baptist churches are having to sprinkle for baptisms; the
Methodists are using wet wipes for their baptisms; and the
Catholics are praying that God will turn the wine back into
water.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drippin' rock View Post
People live and die without ever having known of the Christian God. According to Christians, it doesn't matter how moral or good they were, they are Hades bound.
Not necessarily. Romans 2 indicates that someone who has never heard the Gospel can still go to a good place (perhaps not Heaven itself, but a good place and certainly not Hades) based on their actions... if they're a good person who, even unknowingly, acts as a Christian should. However, if one has heard the Gospel and doesn't accept Jesus, then they'll go to Hades because they are rejecting Jesus.

Of course, this gives rise to the question: If that's the case, why didn't the people who found the manuscripts burn them all so that all good people could go to heaven without having to wear funny hats or clothes or practicing strange rituals. Never hearing the Gospels means you can do well just by being a good person. Once you hear the Gospels, you have to make a choice since just being a good person doesn't grant you passage to even 'a good place that might not be as good as Heaven'.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane256 View Post
Not necessarily. Romans 2 indicates that someone who has never heard the Gospel can still go to a good place (perhaps not Heaven itself, but a good place and certainly not Hades) based on their actions... if they're a good person who, even unknowingly, acts as a Christian should. However, if one has heard the Gospel and doesn't accept Jesus, then they'll go to Hades because they are rejecting Jesus.

Of course, this gives rise to the question: If that's the case, why didn't the people who found the manuscripts burn them all so that all good people could go to heaven without having to wear funny hats or clothes or practicing strange rituals. Never hearing the Gospels means you can do well just by being a good person. Once you hear the Gospels, you have to make a choice since just being a good person doesn't grant you passage to even 'a good place that might not be as good as Heaven'.
... but Rom. 3:23 says all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. If all have sinned, all need a Savior.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

Other faiths exist, true statement. For what reason? I'm not qualified to answer. My faith is exclusive to me and by that I mean that I don't share or try to explain it. Faith is a word that people use synonymously with "belief in God", but it is also applied to a belief in doctrines and teachings. That's about as clarified as I can be.

So answering a question w/ a question here. Because I have faith, would I be considered religious? I don't consider myself religious, but I am as honest and moral as most and more-so than some. My belief or not in God is not part of this equation though, just that I have a belief in some principle. Is that a religion?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
... but Rom. 3:23 says all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. If all have sinned, all need a Savior.
Some say there are no contradictions in the Bible. So which is it, then?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane256 View Post
Some say there are no contradictions in the Bible. So which is it, then?
There's no contradiction here. Even in the passage you cite, it says, "All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law ... " (Rom 2:12.) Compare that with Rom 3:23 -- "ALL have sinned." Some have sinned under the law and others have sinned apart from it.