04 f150 mpg

7 point

My 04 f150 5.4 2wd mpg has dropped from 16 down to 14 I don't drive any differnt than before what could have caused this I've ran lucous gas treatment and no change .

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Is it the 5.4 2 valve or 3 valve? I have an 06 with an 8 inch lift 35-12.50's on 20" rims and I average on the Hwy a little over 16....... in town ...... please don't ask...

transfixer

Your cam phasers may be failing, when they wear out it will alter the timing, do you hear ticking or clacking noise at all ?

7 point

Not that I have noticed I will have to listen to it a little more .it only has 48k miles on it

transfixer

They shouldn't be worn out yet then, could be the gas you use I suppose ? I believe stations are already using summer blend fuel now, Air filter dirty ? Get someone who has a good diagnostic scanner to look at your engine data , and see if your fuel trims are where they are supposed to be .

Mine is an '04 FX4 with 5.4 and with 106,000 on it. I've only checked it a few times and once got 19 on the highway with 3 guys and lots of stuff on board. The last time I checked it, it was within 1-2 MPG as my buddy's 2013 with Ecoboost. That's good enough for me for a truck that's been paid for since about 06 or 07. I just figure that a few MPGs are nothing to worry about as compared to buying new(er). Of course, YMMV.

John Cooper

VCT Solenoids could be starting to go bad. The 3 v motor needs good clean oil to run properly. Ford says 5000 intervals, I do 3000. Clean the TB, and MAF sensor.

John Cooper

It used to get about 17 in the city

I left Chattanooga this morning headed to Charlotte, NC. I was averaging 17.0 when I hit the gorge on 40, by the time I got to the Hotel I was down to 16.4.

Around town I get 13 tops.

This is with 8" of lift and 35 12.50 20s.

I am happy.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Running a can of sea foam in the gas, and do the intake cleaning from the brake booster.

7 point

Thanks Matt .last week I ran another 2 cans of lucous per full tank 37 gallons and got 15.6 mpg .after this tank I will run some seafoam

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Check the plugs. My old saturn was getting stupid mileage and turned out it was a burned plug.

on a 5.4 that is about a grand to do that job. People don't ask if you broke off a plug in the head. They ask how many did you break off?

John Cooper

Check the plugs. My old saturn was getting stupid mileage and turned out it was a burned plug.

Don't a tempt this by yourself. Jump over to one of the f150 forums and do alot of reading first. I have one local ford master tech who will do a plug job for $300 labor plus the cost of the plugs, no matter how many break.

Be sure if you have it done to use the motorcraft 546 plugs. They are the newest version.