What is the best deer load for a .243?

fulldraw74

Gagirl got a new .243 for this coming season....I'm sure its been discussed before but what type of ammo are yall shooting and prefer over the others?

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
I shoot a 95gr Nosler BT--1st choice. Next is a Seirra 85gr-hp. If you have to use store bought ammo,, then a 100gr Rem Cor-Lok is hard to beat.

Hammack

100gr core lokt is a very good deer bullet. I have always had good luck with the core lokt bullet. I have a 6mm remington (ballistically similar to the 243) and I have been using the hornady 95gr sst factory loads. VERY good deer round so far. I'm very pleased with what I saw last year.

Wetzel

When I bought ammo for my .243, I'd use the Remington 100 grain Cor-Loks. Since I've been reloading, I've switched over to 95 grain Partitions.

Lead Poison

Federals loaded with 100 grain Nosler Partitions if you don't reload.

If you do, load the Nosler 100 grain Partition over your the powder of your choice in your handloads.

REMINGTON710

I like the 95 grain, Winchester supreme ballistic silver tips...

Sultan of Slime

FD I use the core lokt rounds also.I just picked this one up yesterday.Does this mean since me and her shoot the same caliber rifle seminole hunter is gonna be pm'ing me now?

Attachments

• _243333.gif
    _243333.gif
    132.1 KB · Views: 13,717

TreeFrog

I've been shooting deer with a .243 for 18 years. All I've ever used were Remington CoreLokt 100 gr. I think I've had 2 that didn't drop on the spot. Accurate, well made factory round. My #1 choice for the .243.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gagirl,

I have been reloading since 1970 for the .243. It is an excellent deer round. Since you are a female I would suggest keeping with the 80 or 85 grain. This weight bullet has less recoil than the 100 grainers. I personally reload the Searra .85 gr. HPBT Game Kings for myself. They are devastating. For the perfect shot hit the deer 3" above the heart and just behind the front leg. They will be dead before their knees buckle 100 % of the time with little loss of meat. It is a very humane kill. If you hit the heart they kick up their hind legs and run like the dickens. When shooting always try to use a rest. The .243 will go right where you want it to go. :shoot:

gt40

Last edited:

Nga.

My first deer rifle was a 243win and I shot everything under the sun thru it. The best performance I achived was out of 100gr boattail softpoints. Remington corelock and Federal Premiums. Both are tack drivers out of my rifle and will expand and leave good blood to follow.

1st Choice is Federal but you'll have to order the Boatail soft points. Seems everyone just stocks the Nosler's.

2nd is the Remington Corelock if I didn't get to order in time or need some extra rounds. Most everyone stocks them.

Hunting Teacher

I would not recommend a ballistic tip of ANY KIND for a 243. My daughter shot two different does two years ago with Federal 95gr ballistic tips. And before all of yall start, both were perfectly placed behind the shoulder shots. The girl can put them where they belong.
Both deer ran, which is OK if there is a blood trail. There wasn't on either deer. Both bullets failed to exit the deer and did do extensive damage which was fine, but the two deer ran 100 and 110 yards through the middle of thick swamp bottoms. The first one I got lucky on and just walked up on her after 40 minutes. The second, it took me about three hours to find. No blood anywhere except where both deer had piled up.
If you don't mind spending the money, I'd agree the 100 grain Nosler Partitions are the best there is. Last year we has really good performance from the 95 grain Federal Fusion bullets. They sure are a whole lot cheaper than the others.
Good luck whatever you choose.
My daughter dearly loves her 243.I'm sure you will too!
Teacher

Lead Poison

I would not recommend a ballistic tip of ANY KIND for a 243. My daughter shot two different does two years ago with Federal 95gr ballistic tips. And before all of yall start, both were perfectly placed behind the shoulder shots. The girl can put them where they belong.
Both deer ran, which is OK if there is a blood trail. There wasn't on either deer. Both bullets failed to exit the deer and did do extensive damage which was fine, but the two deer ran 100 and 110 yards through the middle of thick swamp bottoms. The first one I got lucky on and just walked up on her after 40 minutes. The second, it took me about three hours to find. No blood anywhere except where both deer had piled up.
If you don't mind spending the money, I'd agree the 100 grain Nosler Partitions are the best there is. Last year we has really good performance from the 95 grain Federal Fusion bullets. They sure are a whole lot cheaper than the others.
Good luck whatever you choose.
My daughter dearly loves her 243.I'm sure you will too!
Teacher

That is EXACTLY the performance one can expect with the 243 Win. It will surely kill deer, but you will usually NOT have a good blood trail, if any.