rifle/shotgun combo

SCDAWG

I would like to get a gun for my 8 yr. old son. I have heard about a single shot with interchangeable barrels in .243 and 20 gauge. Does anyone know who makes one and the price range?

bdoutdoors

Check dicks sporting goods. They have ad in my paper today for a Rossi 20 ga,.243/22 3 barrel combo for 219.98 would make a great starter gun. Good luck.

Auchumpkee Creek Assassin

Gone But Not Forgotten
New England Firearms Co. made in Gardner Mass. they make several====google it for local dealer

robert5136

DO NOT GET THE ROSSI COMBO!!!!I bought the .243 /20ga for my 8 year old . It will not group 12"
at 100 yards. Sent it back to Rossi twice and the said they found nothing wrong with it . SO it just sits in the gun cabinet.

ditchdoc24

I've heard bad reviews of the Rossi combo. I'm planning on my son shooting one of my Encores. It's more expensive than the Rossi but a LOT more versatile. As he gets bigger and can handle more recoil, buy a different barrel and upgrade him.

Stan in SC

I bought the Rossi combo and could not get the .243 to group worth a darn.The NEF(H&R) .243 is the worst one in that manufacturer's line for accuracy.I have owned both NEF and Rossi in .243.Got rid of both.Get your son a 30-30 and he'll be set for life.The 30-30 does not have much recoil.The NEF 30-30 is very accurate.That is what I bought for my grandson.

Stan

CraigM

I bought the Rossi combo and could not get the .243 to group worth a darn.The NEF(H&R) .243 is the worst one in that manufacturer's line for accuracy.I have owned both NEF and Rossi in .243.Got rid of both.Get your son a 30-30 and he'll be set for life.The 30-30 does not have much recoil.The NEF 30-30 is very accurate.That is what I bought for my grandson.

Stan

My first centerfire was a NEF 20ga/30-30 combo... I still shoot it and still love it.

Rossi

I have the Rossi .243/.22/20 ga.combo.Has a Bushnell scope.Groups consistently one -and -a-half inches at 100 yards with Federal Power Shok 100 gr.softpoints.Two other people fired the same group with the same gun.My wife decided to hunt with it instead of her bolt-action.(because it`s short and light)The gun did not do as well with Remington Core-Loks,shot a wide pattern ,high and right(same grain bullet).ANYBODY buying a new gun needs to try several different manufacturers of cartridges before you pass judgement on the gun.My Savage .270 groups better with Wins.than with Rems.My Savage .243 shot Hornady`s lite-mags very well one year,but not the next. I think a one-and-a-half inch group with a short barrel like the Rossi is very good.

polaris30144

Rossi's are a decent low budget gun. You have to spend some time at the range with different bullet types and see what shoots best. The biggest trouble with Rossi's is usually the owner. They buy an inexpensive gun and expect high value gun accuracy. They are designed to be a cheap, short range, multipurpose gun. My son has the 12 ga./.308 he uses for a truck gun. It doesn't get treated real well and shoots acceptable for turkeys and deer. When changing barrels it helps to read the manual instead of just jumping into it since it looks simple. How much you tighten the forearm affects how well it shoots. NEF's and Rossi's are sensitive to how tight you get the forearm. To tight or not tight enough both affect accuracy.

Last edited:

24tesla

Personally I am looking into the Mossberg 100 ATR Bantam youth in .243. Have a post now asking if anyone knows anything about it. Had too many tell me of issues or accuracy issues with the H&R, NEF, and ROSSI.