Got a catch dog needs trainin in pauldin

MFOSTER

BANNED
I'm not a hog dogger but have been around some if you are attached to the dog leave him home -- have saw catch pens in action

buddylee

I've had several catch dogs. Nothing bad ever happened to them. Think ur better suited to advising deer hunters.

dtala

buddylee, I'm glad you have been lucky enough not to have a catch dog hurt, but I'd say that is very much not the norm. BOTH of the guys I hunted with this week haven't had that kind of luck. One dog dead and one cut badly and out of hunting for at least a couple of weeks. Both of these men have been hunting for 30+ years with dogs.

and a catch pen ain't the same as real hunting.

buddylee

Using adequate cut gear and using your catch dog the right way goes a long ways towards protecting them.

dtala

I want to train the dog to catch.

I was talking to my buddy we killed the hogs with this week about this topic. He has hog hunted for many, many years in good country. He huntes 3-4 days a week every week all year.

His opinion is that a pit dosen't/shouldn't need "training". You want a dog that will catch all on it's own without having to train it to do so. He wants a dog that will hold on no matter what because it "wants to", worried that a "trained to" dog will let go if the hog gets rough...right as you go to grab the hind leg. Not good at all.

His opinion, for what it's worth.

RUGERWARRIOR

I was talking to my buddy we killed the hogs with this week about this topic. He has hog hunted for many, many years in good country. He huntes 3-4 days a week every week all year.

His opinion is that a pit dosen't/shouldn't need "training". You want a dog that will catch all on it's own without having to train it to do so. He wants a dog that will hold on no matter what because it "wants to", worried that a "trained to" dog will let go if the hog gets rough...right as you go to grab the hind leg. Not good at all.

His opinion, for what it's worth.
Agreed. My buddy that I hunt with, his catch dog grabs the first thing on the head he can get. Whether its the snout, face or the ear. The snout has caused injuries as he had a big cutter go strait through his cheek one time. The dog never let go. But when every thing was said and done this was bad enough my buddy took him to the vet. No cut gear for the face.
My question is a dog that doesn't need training to catch can it at least be trained on where to grab on the head?

If he catches anywhere but the ear when you get the hog throwed let someone take him off and put him on the ear and he will catch on