Any of you old folks remember

Mr Warren

Banned
Victory gardens? There was a government sponsored program during WW2 where folks who lived in town had community gardens. Some on private property and some on public land. I was only 7 yrs. old when the war ended - but some of my earliest memories are of helping to pull weeds and pick vegetables from the garden my parents had a part in - in a big field out north of town.
The folks who lived on farms mostly had their own gardens and didn't need that program.

rvick

There is still a good show on TV called The Victory Garden.

Gary Mercer

My Mother and her Father had a victory garden in the backyard of Mom's parents house during the war. I lived there with Mom, Grandma and Grandpa, and Great Grandma Wood.
My Step Father was off trying to shoot down Nips in the Pacific.
I remember the coupon books for everything from sugar to coffee to gas.
Mom said they also had a garden during the depression, and she and her brother, Uncle Monty, who was flying the hump and fighting Nips, used to take care of it when they were small.
These people lived in Southern California, so the entire country was effected.

Mr Warren

Banned
My Mother and her Father had a victory garden in the backyard of Mom's parents house during the war. I lived there with Mom, Grandma and Grandpa, and Great Grandma Wood.
My Step Father was off trying to shoot down Nips in the Pacific.
I remember the coupon books for everything from sugar to coffee to gas.
Mom said they also had a garden during the depression, and she and her brother, Uncle Monty, who was flying the hump and fighting Nips, used to take care of it when they were small.
These people lived in Southern California, so the entire country was effected.
Yeah - I remember how a lot of things were rationed back then and how the whole country pulled together to help the war effort. I just got to remembering the other day and the victory gardens came to mind. The schools had a program where even us little grade school kids were encouraged to ball up all the tinfoil we found and turn it in to be melted down for something or other - and they also had us out collecting milkweed pods. As I remember that was for using the fluff from inside them to fill life jackets. I could be wrong about that though. It's so long ago.