Herters 72s

rnelson5

I just picked up 12 72 mallards off of a trading page tonight and was curious about the size. I know the 72s are bigger than the 63s but just curious compared to modern plastic decoys like say an avian x or GHG.

You will have hard time with the paint. I a dozen Canada goose decoys and every time they were scratched the white foam would show.

rnelson5

You will have hard time with the paint. I a dozen Canada goose decoys and every time they were scratched the white foam would show.

Ya I understand that is part of having a foam decoy, but I fell in love with the foam Homers I bought this past year. These will be restle coated and repainted before next season so the foam showing won't be a problem. I think I like the nostalgia of hunting over those old decoys more than anything.

plus....... they WONT sink!

Ya I understand that is part of having a foam decoy, but I fell in love with the foam Homers I bought this past year. These will be restle coated and repainted before next season so the foam showing won't be a problem. I think I like the nostalgia of hunting over those old decoys more than anything.

plus....... they WONT sink!
Only if you run over them with your pickup will they sink

duck-dawg

rnelson,

I don't own any true magnum sized decoys, but they're significantly larger than my other G&H divers, which are oversized. I've burlapped and I've restle-coated with glue/sawdust...I know it's more expensive, but if I were to do it all over again (or when I redo my current decoys), I would use epoxy instead of glue. You'll end up with a tougher, lighter decoy than either of the other 2 methods.

rnelson5

rnelson,

I don't own any true magnum sized decoys, but they're significantly larger than my other G&H divers, which are oversized. I've burlapped and I've restle-coated with glue/sawdust...I know it's more expensive, but if I were to do it all over again (or when I redo my current decoys), I would use epoxy instead of glue. You'll end up with a tougher, lighter decoy than either of the other 2 methods.

I got them in and sent them off to a guy to redo them. I want to get into it, but right now we are in the beggining stages of building a house and spare time is a premium. They were fairly large decoys. I decided to turn the 72s into wigeon and I am swapping heads for a better match. I put the old restles on the mantel for now and I still don't know what I am going to do with the 81s. Now those are some magnum decoys

dfhooked

Robbie- make sure your wife lets you build an insane asylumn at the new house for all your decoys. It's not a mans cave it's a insane asylum. Good thing she liked Mexico.

yellowduckdog

I will at some point. Right now they are painted as old black ducks. I just have to decide what I want them to be.

I have 24 of them and had them flocked they move in the slightest breeze, but they did mark easy before I had them redone

Latest posts