Otters on Coopers Creek?

ripplerider

I fished a pretty remote section of Coopers Creek yesterday. The fish were pretty scarce for the amount of deep holes and runs we found. We were fishing carefully not blundering up to the holes. My nephew found a very large crawfish pincer on a big boulder midstream with deep water and strong currents surrounding it. Not the kind of place you'd picture a coon accessing for a meal. Anyone spotted any otters in the Coopers Creek area? I know they put a hurting on Waters Creek which is just across the mountain. Also, I saw my first bear of the year on the road driving in. It was a really nice one, maybe 250 to 350 lbs. Great way to start the day!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've not personally seen them in Coopers, but I don't doubt they are there. I saw a family of them crossing the road in Hayesville one night. They can sure wreck a trout population.

jeardley

I haven't seen them at cooper's but did watch a family over at rock creek a few years ago. They may have made their way over there. Cool little critters, was amazed how shallow they can swim and stay under water.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They have really worked over the bigger trout around here.

ripplerider

There's a pretty marginal trout stream behind my house that used to be full of big carp. Lots of fun on an ultralight if you could get them to bite. They dont seem to be there anymore. My family has a small pond we used to stock with trout, but they would disappear seemingly overnight. We know a blue heron got some of them (Dad once ate a 17" trout that was flopping on the bank after seeing a heron fly off, it had a puncture wound all the way through it.) We even put bream in there once. I suspect otters though I didnt find any slides or even where they'd left a carcass. My brother lives very close by so I doubt it is trespassers.