clothes dryer still taking too long to dry

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
you couldn't wring any more water out of them if you tried - the washer drains and spins with no problem.

Are we talking about the washer or dryer?
It can cause a moisture backup in the dryer if the blower motor isn't turning the proper RPMs,could still be showing proper voltage/amp draw within tolerance but spins slower(think furnace blower motor.)

If its the washer. The pump might have a partial blockage before the pump .

oldfella1962

Something is trapping moisture inside.

it's a real head scratcher! But it never crossed my mind that maybe the clothes are going in "too wet" from the washer. Just how "dry" should clothes be when they come out of the washer? I googled the question, but there was no answer for that exact question - just another question of "is your washer not spinning your clothes dry?" - I need a definition of "dry"! Obviously not dripping wet and heavy, but what if there is more moisture that I'm just not noticing. I would almost have to have two washers to compare which one spins them better.

Bottom line I get a new dryer and have the same problem (long drying times and water collecting in the vent tubing) I guess my washer is bad too. :huh:

it's a real head scratcher! But it never crossed my mind that maybe the clothes are going in "too wet" from the washer. Just how "dry" should clothes be when they come out of the washer? I googled the question, but there was no answer for that exact question - just another question of "is your washer not spinning your clothes dry?" - I need a definition of "dry"! Obviously not dripping wet and heavy, but what if there is more moisture that I'm just not noticing. I would almost have to have two washers to compare which one spins them better.

Bottom line I get a new dryer and have the same problem (long drying times and water collecting in the vent tubing) I guess my washer is bad too. :huh:

I'm leaning towards the vent tubing being to long and the moist air isn't being pushed out fast enough to dry the clothes.

Clothes out of the washing machine should be damp and you shouldn't be able to ring water out of the clothe.

Also, how much of a load is your wife drying at one time?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If your exhaust vent goes up and over to the outside you should have a inline fan to help exhaust the moist air.
As the dryer is pushing the hot exhaust out,the moist collects and will back into the dryer.I found out when my inline exhaust fan went out and I had to replace.Dryer wasn't drying clothes even though everything checked out electrically.

oldfella1962

I'm leaning towards the vent tubing being to long and the moist air isn't being pushed out fast enough to dry the clothes.

Clothes out of the washing machine should be damp and you shouldn't be able to ring water out of the clothe.

Also, how much of a load is your wife drying at one time?

No, you can't wring water out of the clothes when they are done washing. Yes the total venting distance is long, but it has worked since we bought the dryer several years ago. The dryer has only recently started acting like this (a few months at most). I reamed out the entire length (which I figured would solve my problem) about a month ago, but since then had the water in the section just coming out of the dryer two more times fill with water & lint. :(

Plenty of hot air getting all the way to the outside vent of the house too. Weird!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
oldfella1962,

Now here is a thought that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

I think that a good way to be sure that your washer is spinning enough of the actual water out of the clothes would be to take a load to the nearest Laundry-Mat type facility which are scattered throughout the Evans area and wash the load as you normally would. Then immediately take that load home and run it through your dryer as soon as possible and then compare the results in dryness after the normal dryer cycle.

If the results are the same at that point, at least, you might have eliminated a possible problem with your current washing machine. I would consider doing this as it surely wouldn't cost very much to try this experiment and hopefully know exactly where the problem might be then before you think about buying any new appliances.

If the same problem persisted, then you know there is a problem with the dryer and/or the ductwork exhaust not functioning properly.

This might be the cheapest way to determine this.

GoldDot40

I'm curious to know if your dryer has a steam cycle with a water supply ran to it?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
A dryer needs three main things to dry. Fluff ( spin) heat ( heating element) and moving air (blower). Run a cycle, open the door in the middle of a run, and see if you can catch the clothes falling back down, if so, then it's spinning. Take the vent off the back and run a cycle, keep your hand back there for the whole cycle, make sure airflow is strong and constant, and continuously warm. Blower could be intermittent, and cutting off and on. Like I said earlier, just because the frame of the dryer is getting hot doesn't mean the heating element is working correct. Being a homeowner has taught me a dryer is one of the simplest easiest things to fix. There's just not much to them. I did a total rebuild on mine twice before my wife wanted front load washer and dryers, and the dryer was working great when we upgraded.

Oldstick

okay - I watched a youtube video that shows how to test out every...single....electronic component on my exact dryer. Everything tests good! Heating element, :huh:

yet when I take the dryer vent off the back of the dryer, water and lint pours out. :huh:

and indeed my wife said it still takes hours to dry a single load. I checked the entire length of the venting all the way to the outside of the house, and it's not clogged - no lint at all.

My wife wants to get a new dryer, but "in theory" this dryer works! This dryer should be working fine, but it's not.
I just don't get it. But I can't have water mixing with electricity!

That sounds like what everyone already mentioned above. You have a clog internal to the dryer, probably around the lint filter. May have to pull the back off to get a coat hanger in there. You might find a couple missing socks as well.

NOYDB

BANNED
You have a clog internal to the dryer, probably around the lint filter. May have to pull the back off to get a coat hanger in there.

When a dryer I had started acting up I took it apart. All the way apart. The air path from the lint trap to the outlet had two 90` turns that collected lint and were a royal pain to clean out. To get to the turns I had to remove the back of the dryer. I used a coat hanger to probe around corners and break up lint clogs.

Not sure we are talking about the same symptoms.
Water pooling is going to seek the lowest level and would drain out the bottom and puddle on the floor. Wet lint is too heavy to be blown out the lint trap or down the vent tube.

Run the dryer with no clothes in it.

What happens?

Do a load of T-shirts, only move ONE to the dryer and run it.

What happens?

Also what make model is the dryer?

Oldstick

If there is wet lint falling out of the outlet from the dryer when disconnected from the vent pipe, and the vent pipe is proven to be clear, then something is definitely clogged inside the dryer preventing the lint (and the clothes) from getting dried. I'm fairly certain of that since it was already confirmed that the heating element is working fine.

Also from past experience with my own dryers exhibiting the same symptoms numerous times over the last 35 years. If the OP doesn't find a lint clog, and/or fabric sheet/socks, and/or quarters backed up inside his dryer, let me know. I will pay him $1.00 for the quarters he didn't find.

So what I am trying to say, is the very moist air from the clothes inside the dryer is trying to be vented as normal, but there is a clog. So that moisture gets blocked and trapped by the clog and so it condenses before it gets blown out the external vent pipe. The result is wet lint dripping from the back of the dryer. There were several posters already suggesting to run through a cycle with the vent pipe disconnected to make sure everything is exiting the dryer as normal. I am guessing that test will reveal there is a clog inside the dryer.

watermedic

Sounds like 1. Either the vent line is too long and is allowing the damp air to cool before it exits the house. Or 2. The fan isn't working properly and allowing the same to happen. Or 3 The heating element isn't getting hot enough to start with.

Easiest way to check would be with a infrared thermometer. Check the temp during the cycle. (just open the door and mash the button) Then check the temp at the flapper.