Last day

Lumpkin Hunter

Who is going in the morning? I have one more tag to fill and have taken off work to hunt the last day of the season. How many of you will be out there also? I can't decide whether to go to the mountains and hunt a special spot that I have only been to once this year or go back to my club in Hall Co. and try to kill the bird that was with the one I killed last Thursday. Either way I will end the season with gratitude to the good Lord for allowing me one more year of chasing such a great bird.
I don't know about you guys and gals but chasing a gobbler each spring has turned into my greatest passion in hunting. I've been chasing gobblers since the 80's and deer hunting longer than that. I love to deer hunt and live for it also but there is just something about chasing a gobbler. I think it is the interaction of calling and calculating where a gobbler will come too. Sort of a hide and seek game to me. I love the interaction of having a gobbler answer my call and start working to me. The challenge of setting up in the right location then the satisfaction when he shows up whether I kill it or not. For anyone who has not experienced it in a set up, move, set up, move, set up again situation you don't know or understand the thrill of finally having the gobbler show up. It is very satisfying to me.
Good luck to anyone that will be in the woods tomorrow. I pray that God will bless you and keep you safe during your hunt.

M Sharpe

Very good read and only a true turkey hunter will understand the feelings that we have for the wild turkey.

Three sounds I love to hear during these spring mornings, the hoot of the barred owl, the songs of the whippoorwill, and the gobble of a wild turkey!!! It just can't get any better!! Good luck tomorrow in whichever one you go after!!

DRBugman85

Very good read and only a true turkey hunter will understand the feelings that we have for the wild turkey.

Three sounds I love to hear during these spring mornings, the hoot of the barred owl, the songs of the whippoorwill, and the gobble of a wild turkey!!! It just can't get any better!! Good luck tomorrow in whichever one you go after!!
AMEN to that statement.The good LORD has blessed me with another turkey season may I live to see next season where I can hear those sounds again.:yeah: What a year it's been tag out before April 15th and have called 5 more in for friends(1 missed). No blind no decoy,blind in 1 eye and can't see out the other.

Garnto88

I agree and I am thankful for 40 years of chasing this great bird and look forward to many more lord willing. I do enjoy hearing the sounds of spring but will throw in the gobbler "drum" as another favorite. There is nothing like that sound in a South Georgia swamp.

M Sharpe

I agree and I am thankful for 40 years of chasing this great bird and look forward to many more lord willing. I do enjoy hearing the sounds of spring but will throw in the gobbler "drum" as another favorite. There is nothing like that sound in a South Georgia swamp.

Yep, I agree!! I was just referring to the first sounds of the morning. Love that sound myself....along with the hurting eyes from looking over your shoulder!!!! Hahahaha!!

Garnto88

Yep, I agree!! I was just referring to the first sounds of the morning. Love that sound myself....along with the hurting eyes from looking over your shoulder!!!! Hahahaha!!

Yep!!! And as I get older sitting there wondering "where is that drumming coming from". It always sounds like it is behind me. Lol!!

QuackAddict

Very satisfying indeed. I have been sitting here this morning in the river swamp reflecting on how incredibly blessed we have been this past fall and into the spring. My 6 year old son got his first gobbler on a hunt that neither of us will ever forget, I took a bird which was my biggest to date, and we had some real close calls with good strutting and gobbling action.

I decided on going to the easier and closer to the house/work property this morning but now wish I had gone to the deer capital. I heard 2 gobble on the roost way across the line a few times and nothing since.

Good luck to you this morning! Did you go to the mountain?

billy336

Three of my favorite sounds also, I'll add the sound of an 870 getting its chamber filled and emptied.

Lumpkin Hunter

No I decided to go to the club in Hall Co. I didn't hear a single gobble but had a great morning anyway. I believe it was one of the prettiest mornings I've experienced in a while. The sky was clear and blue, birds were singing like a church choir, the air had a crisp cool feeling to it. I sat and enjoyed every second of it. I am already looking forward to deer season this fall and anticipating next spring so I can chase another gobbler around the club.

Everyone have a great summer. Start making your plans for this fall and next spring. Enjoy and appreciate what God has given you stewardship of in your life. Love your family, enjoy time with your friends. We are a very fortunate group of hunters that live in the greatest country in the world.

Thank you Lord for your love and forgiveness.