Adena?

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
I always wondered how an elongated contracting base on a point was hafted on a shaft. Obviously the people that made those had a reason.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! Nice finds indeed!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I always wondered how an elongated contracting base on a point was hafted on a shaft. Obviously the people that made those had a reason.

That type base hafts well with a hollow rivercane shaft and pitch glue.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That type base hafts well with a hollow rivercane shaft and pitch glue.

Yep. I think that's the deal with points like Morrow Mountains and such. I've tried hafting them into rivercane atlatl dart shafts, and it works great.

Duff

Yep. I think that's the deal with points like Morrow Mountains and such. I've tried hafting them into rivercane atlatl dart shafts, and it works great.

HB, you have any pics of doing that? I find lots of MM points and would like to see how they were used.

Thanks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
HB, you have any pics of doing that? I find lots of MM points and would like to see how they were used.

Thanks

I'll look and see. I had a bunch of pics of stuff like that on my old computer that crashed.

Clifton Hicks

Look like very nicely-made Morrow Mt. points to me. I said this elsewhere on a recent post but, again, my understanding is that there are no known Adena sites in Georgia. The furthest south I know of for Adena would be those found in the Kentucky/West Virginia region.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Look like very nicely-made Morrow Mt. points to me. I said this elsewhere on a recent post but, again, my understanding is that there are no known Adena sites in Georgia. The furthest south I know of for Adena would be those found in the Kentucky/West Virginia region.

A friend of mine has a textbook one that he found in SC.

Clifton Hicks

A friend of mine has a textbook one that he found in SC.

I guess it ain't out of the question for a relatively advanced, riverine society like the Adena to deposit artifacts a state or two down stream. And their "trading complex" or whatever would indeed have been much broader than their actual physical range of settlements up on the old Ohio and Kaintuckee. Cool. I guess these really could be Adena points.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it ain't out of the question for a relatively advanced, riverine society like the Adena to deposit artifacts a state or two down stream. And their "trading complex" or whatever would indeed have been much broader than their actual physical range of settlements up on the old Ohio and Kaintuckee. Cool. I guess these really could be Adena points.

Yep, the Hopewell culture certainly traded a lot in the region. Some of the mounds excavated in western NC have had Hopewellian pottery and copper in them, and they find western NC mica in Hopewell mounds.

Clifton Hicks

Yes! I definitely remember learning about Proto-Iroquoians (pre-Cherokee) in the southern Appalachians trading mica, soapstone and quartzite all up and down these rivers. God knows what else.