Walleye bite is hot on Blue Ridge - 25+lbs total! - Pics and Video!

jerdog101

Fished Friday and Saturday for a few hours on Blue Ridge. Caught 7 Walleye fishing a few hours each morning and evening with the biggest at just under 4 lbs. Water temps. were 75F at the surface under clear skies. All fish came in 100+ft. of water on cranks and spoons. The key is SLOW trolling! As I have said before, next to the spawn, this is the best month to catch these toothy fellas! Check out the video below to learn more....thanks to the GA DNR for doing their part to make this fishery great!

Attachments

• File_000.jpg
    File_000.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,151
  • File_003.jpg
    File_003.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,140
  • File_008.jpeg
    File_008.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.17.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.17.20 PM.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,139
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.17.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.17.37 PM.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.17.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.17.51 PM.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.18.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 6.18.00 PM.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,146

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice ones! We have lots of walleye up here, but we don't have the size on 'em that y'all do down there. I've caught literally thousands of walleyes, and I've never caught one bigger than those. They are one of my favorite fish to chase.

The mtn man

Ditto, those are really nice sized ones, the only lake we have that have that sized fish is hiwassee. How deep were you running your divers?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

The mtn man

Lanier has them and they are a lot bigger.

Nice fish Jerdog!:cool:

Yea, i don't doubt it, was referring to the immediate area here. Is it common to catch walleye in lanier? I know chatuge has and has had some real monster walleye, one gets caught every few years, chatuge is even stocked with walleye, but i dont know anyone who successfully catches them.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Yea, i don't doubt it, was referring to the immediate area here. Is it common to catch walleye in lanier? I know chatuge has and has had some real monster walleye, one gets caught every few years, chatuge is even stocked with walleye, but i dont know anyone who successfully catches them.

Lanier has some toads and there are better times than others to target them. If it was for all of those stupid bass, it would be easier. :D

Blue Ridge is a great lake for walleye's and I've caught tons of them up there.

As far as immediate area.. There are other lakes that are really good for walleye but I'm not saying where on here.:biggrin2:

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Were those fish suspended? 100+ft seems way deep to catch a walleye in. Maybe suspended along the river or creek channels?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Were those fish suspended? 100+ft seems way deep to catch a walleye in. Maybe suspended along the river or creek channels?

I have caught them as deep as 120 feet in Fontana. They are commonly suspended 40-60' down under shad in open water, though.

The mtn man

Lanier has some toads and there are better times than others to target them. If it was for all of those stupid bass, it would be easier. :D

Blue Ridge is a great lake for walleye's and I've caught tons of them up there.

As far as immediate area.. There are other lakes that are really good for walleye but I'm not saying where on here.:biggrin2:

Yep, I hear ya, i know there are walleye in 7 of the lakes that are in my immediate area. Most that are caught are the size of a really big perch though. Maybe 18" being a goodun. Lanier is getting out of my immediate area. If I am going to lanier it's for stripers!!! Fontana and nantahala are full of walleye. It seems like the big walleye in the south come from lakes with herring.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I hear ya, i know there are walleye in 7 of the lakes that are in my immediate area. Most that are caught are the size of a really big perch though. Maybe 18" being a goodun. Lanier is getting out of my immediate area. If I am going to lanier it's for stripers!!! Fontana and nantahala are full of walleye. It seems like the big walleye in the south come from lakes with herring.

Except the lakes with herring have almost no natural reproduction and have to be stocked.

AStrick

Y'all slayed'em!
I noticed in 1 photo y'all were standing on your head?
Congrats to Capt and crew!
Fo Sho Shuug!

jeremyledford

Y'all slayed'em!
I noticed in 1 photo y'all were standing on your head?
Congrats to Capt and crew!
Fo Sho Shuug!

Don't tell em our trick! That's why we good fisherman don't have much hair. Lol. I'm not even 30 and it's about gone.
OP I saw y'all trolling a while back and started to idle over say hi but with all those lines I didn't want to mess up a good troll. Keep at it man you've got an impressive thing going.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I have caught them as deep as 120 feet in Fontana. They are commonly suspended 40-60' down under shad in open water, though.

That's funny, sounds like striper behavior. Now I get why guys sometimes pull up a surprise walleye while fishing for them on downlines

ripplerider

A friend and I hit Blue Ridge yesterday and had a good morning. I'm happy to report that we caught 3 fine smallmouth (all released), 5 spots from 11/2 to 4 lbs. which we kept, and my first walleye! It was pushing 4 lbs. too. If we had landed all the fish we hung we would have had 6 or 7 more. We got into a pod of spots near a brush pile and had 3 consecutive strong fish take us down into the trees and break us off. Finally my friend hung one there and horsed it out on 8 lb. test line somehow he managed not to let it break off and we boated the largest spot of the day right there. A good day on a beautiful nearby lake! I'm primarily a trout fisherman but days like yesterday nearly convert me to lake fishing. I'll try to post some pics when my son comes home I'm a Neanderthal when it comes to technology.

Latest posts