Tax Assessor?

GoldDot40

Just moved into our house in December. A couple months ago after a decent rain, I noticed muddy foot prints on my back patio that came right up to one of our windows. I immediately assumed would-be thieves might have been casing our place out.

After I thought about it a bit, it dawned on me that it could have been the tax people. So I called the tax office and asked. They confirmed they were indeed on my property the day in question. I told them they were lucky my daughter wasn't home because she knows how to use my 12 gauge. Been tragic for her to see them 'snooping' around the windows and causing her to fear for her life. Their reply..."We never thought about that. If there's no vehicle present, we assume nobody is home." Not a good way to conduct 'offical' business in my opinion. I have a feeling it'll be brought up in their next meeting.

Redbow

Oh yeah they come snooping around our place a few years ago. Any kind of new construction will bring them out, either by foot or by air, they take pictures from aircraft..Had the county tax man wake me up one day when I was working the midnight shift. I had recently completed a workshop and he needed to know the square footage..He told me someone reported that I had built the new building . Long years ago people used to believe there was someone in every neighborhood that reported such things to the county tax people, not sure if that is correct or not. The guy apologized for waking me up then went on his way..

GeorgiaGlockMan

I had a fellow from the tax office that I met on my front porch with a shotgun in hand.

I had some choice words for him when I saw him kneeling under a window. He was a little shaken but agreed he should have called before coming out to measure the outside of my house. I told him to make sure and call next time and he won't be confronted.