Psa ar-9

GregoryB.

Was looking at buying a new toy and the AR-9 from PSA caught my eye. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

well....

uses 9mm Glock mags....

other than that, I don't see much use in it. Give me a .223 or 12ga. defender shotgun over that gun anytime for home defense.

It might be fun to shoot....and expensive to shoot.

And no I don't own one.

s&r

GregoryB.

It's not wanted for home defense. Just wanted another toy to play with. I already own most of the main stream type guns and wanted something different. Mainly wanted to know if it operates smoothly.

rjcruiser

uses 9mm Glock mags....

other than that, I don't see much use in it. Give me a .223 or 12ga. defender shotgun over that gun anytime for home defense.

It might be fun to shoot....and expensive to shoot.

And no I don't own one.

s&r

Isn't 9mm cheaper than .223? So, how do you suggest a .223 or 12ga and then say it is expensive to shoot?

Guess there's no need for the Uzi platform then either?

Now...to the OP, don't have one...but it is a cheap alternative to buying an Uzi. Also, to be able to consolidate caliber platforms and have a CQC AR that can utilize similar mags is also a pretty neat feature.

The only thing I can think about is that I just see these types of guns getting cheaper over time. Just my own opinion...but I think the AR market is flooded right now and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. It's only a matter of time before these other platforms (.308, 9mm etc etc) become similar in price to .223.

Lilly001

Was looking at buying a new toy and the AR-9 from PSA caught my eye. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

I am not familiar with that gun but I have a TNW areo rifle.
It's a similar ar looking 9mm carbine (other calibers too) that takes glock mags.
I bought it for the same reason. Fun.

I can buy 9mm for much less than .223 and I still get a centerfire carbine that is a real hoot to shoot.:yeah:

Lilly001

And my TNW areo rifle runs flawlessly. It will shoot dirty steel case Russian ammo until the cows come home. It has acceptable accuracy out to 50 yards (that's all I've shot it at).
And it's changeable to .40,.357 sig, 45 ACP, and 10 mm.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Buddy of mine has the PSA AR-9. Runs like a sewing machine, fun gun to shoot.

not much use in it.

"Buddy of mine has the PSA AR-9. Runs like a sewing machine, fun gun to shoot. "

Fun to shoot is the key phase here, again...I don't see a practical use in it. Home defense for me, is a tac shotgun or my AR-15.

And, last time I checked 9mm is higher than .223...or at least the cheap .223.

I don't reload, I am a factory ammo guy, to each his own, good luck and have fun shooting.

My ar-15 is fun to shoot and it kills yotes and it is a great defense weapon for my house and my farm. The Tac shotgun is beside my bed for the person who makes a real mistake one night and comes inside my home.....without invite.

I stand by my comment. I personally have no use for an AR platform in 9mm.

s&r

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
"Buddy of mine has the PSA AR-9. Runs like a sewing machine, fun gun to shoot. "

Fun to shoot is the key phase here, again...I don't see a practical use in it. Home defense for me, is a tac shotgun or my AR-15.

And, last time I checked 9mm is higher than .223...or at least the cheap .223.

I don't reload, I am a factory ammo guy, to each his own, good luck and have fun shooting.

My ar-15 is fun to shoot and it kills yotes and it is a great defense weapon for my house and my farm. The Tac shotgun is beside my bed for the person who makes a real mistake one night and comes inside my home.....without invite.

I stand by my comment. I personally have no use for an AR platform in 9mm.

s&r

And that is why they make more than one type of gun-there are more than one people. And most of those people are different. I'm not crazy about an AR in .223, myself, but I love mine in 7.62x39. :)

And, 9mm ammo can be found all day long for 15 cents a round or less-that's about 10 cents a round cheaper than the cheapest .223.

Oh, and that 9mm is a whole different critter coming out of a 16" barrel than it is coming out of a 3" pistol barrel, btw.

Lilly001

Like NCHillbilly said, you can find 9mm for about .10 rnd less than .223. And if you shoot a lot that's a big difference.
Also, if I had a "practical" or "justifiable use" clause in my gun buying portfolio I wouldn't own half the guns I do.
I have no intention of ever using my 9mm carbine for self defense. But I do use it to train for using my other self defense guns at a lesser cost.
And, most important, it's a lot of fun.:yeah:

Lilly001

Hey Hillbilly, what brand lower is your 7.62 AR?
I've been looking at adding that round, but I don't like the AK platform and I've read about problems with the ARs feeding reliably.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Hillbilly, what brand lower is your 7.62 AR?
I've been looking at adding that round, but I don't like the AK platform and I've read about problems with the ARs feeding reliably.

PSA upper and lower. They build the uppers as dedicated 7.62 with the correct firing pin, gas port, and such. The right mags are important too. I have probably put well over a thousand rounds through mine and killed several deer with it. Even with the cheap steel-cased stuff, I have so far never had a single failure to feed, fire, or eject. Never. Bangbangbang. Several folks I know also have them, and have never had a single problem with theirs, either.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The CZ Scorpion 9mm carbine is a sweet-shooting rifle, too.

Rabun

Don't have the AR9 but do have this cheap hipoint in 9mm. LOVE it. Didn't buy for any purpose other than cause I could and it has great reviews. The pistols not so much (couldn't give me one) but the carbine is a lot of fun to shoot...more so than just about any other gun I own. It's surprisingly accurate, runs on anything, wet/dry, clean/dirty, doesn't matter. Only complaint I would have is it's a little heavy and maybe even a little on the ugly side but everything else makes up for it. Let us know how you like your AR if you get one.

I've got the same gun with black stock. I've got to agree...it's probably the funnest gun to shoot that I own. I put a cheap red dot on it which works out really well. Everyone that shoots it likes it. It has some quirks...like seating and extracting the mags...but it runs like a champ.

GregoryB.

Just ordered a PSA 9 Lower this morning along with a blemished AR 10 lower. Now I just need to select a upper for both of them. I figure I will put a Burris Fast Fire type red dot on the 9MM. Should be fun to play with.

rosiesdad

Around here 9mm and 223 are about the same price around .20 cents a round...
I had a Kel Tec sub2000 i kept for several months and never even fired it,sold it and bought another AR.I am interested in an AR in 7.62x39.........

Robert28

Just ordered a PSA 9 Lower this morning along with a blemished AR 10 lower. Now I just need to select a upper for both of them. I figure I will put a Burris Fast Fire type red dot on the 9MM. Should be fun to play with.

Smart move, AR10 guns and parts are dirt cheap right now, cheapest I've ever seen them. I'm currently assembling a nice .308 in my head but also went ahead and picked up a lower like you did for whenever that day comes.

beanutputter

i have one and have a ton of fun with it. I run it suppressed and regular. Eats 147 subs and 115s. I also run it sometimes with a slide fire for giggles and since the ammo is CHEAP. great gun

GregoryB.

Hopefully PSA will get it in the mail soon, ordered on the 22nd June and it still hasn't been shipped as of today . I figure it will be a fun toy. Got to get some 9MM dies so I can load up and save some money.