North East Georgia WMA's Holding Good Hog Populations?

Two Questions:

1. Any suggestions of some NE GA. WMA's that hold a large hog population preferable close to the Madison County area?
  2. Can you hunt Hogs on WMA's when there is no other hunting season open?

jbogg

I was told by the field tech that Warwoman has more hogs than the other mountain WMAs, but there are hogs on all of the WMAs up there. You can only hunt them year round on private land. Hogs are considered incidental take and may be taken with any weapon that is legal for whatever is in season at the time on WMAs. So, any weapon that is legal for small game would be allowed for hogs during small game season.

GA_SPORSTMAN

At one time Warman had a bear and hog only hunt ,I think it was in Oct ,a few years ago ,not sure about this year.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Page 10 seems to indicate the return to allowing Buckshot on WMAs...........lots of Changes. Need to sticky that Link you just posted!!:clap:

Got my calendar marked.

Thanks to all for the helpful info. Maybe this year I will finally nail one of those slabs of pork.

Tio Hey Seuss

I was told the same thing as Jbogg about Warwoman. Went to check it out during turkey season and saw WAY MORE hog sign than I've seen on Chattahoochee or Chestatee but both those do have hogs too.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I live about 4 miles from Lake Russell WMA. There aren't as many hogs on Russell as Warwoman, but we have a bunch. They wander off the WMA onto a friends cow pasture, and he is killing ~ 20 a month in traps he has set on the south side of Currahee Mountain. Also, another guy showed me a video a year or so back with over 30 hogs around a feeder about 1/4 mile outside the WMA in that same area.

Please, come and kill them all.

I live about 4 miles from Lake Russell WMA. There aren't as many hogs on Russell as Warwoman, but we have a bunch. They wander off the WMA onto a friends cow pasture, and he is killing ~ 20 a month in traps he has set on the south side of Currahee Mountain. Also, another guy showed me a video a year or so back with over 30 hogs around a feeder about 1/4 mile outside the WMA in that same area.

Please, come and kill them all.

Lake Russell WMA ... OK. That will be a consideration as well.

I will try and kill what I can, withing reason. I have never had wild hog before and it is well past time for me to give it a try.

DaveLB

It looks like warwoman is open for hog during small game season, is that correct? Any quota or special draw required or just roll up and go?

Rabun

It looks like warwoman is open for hog during small game season, is that correct? Any quota or special draw required or just roll up and go?

Just roll up and go...Open for hogs during any open hunting season...they are considered incidental take. Just use whatever weapon is legal for the game that is in season...small game season you you can use rimfire, shotguns with shot size 2 or smaller, muzzle loader, or even an air gun. I plan on pursuing some pork this year with the muzzle loader.

PappyHoel

Please get rid of them before they make to our club. We know they are about 15 miles away.

ripplerider

Plenty of hogs on Blue Ridge, Coopers creek, Swallows creek, Chestatee and Chattahoochee WMAs. Theres just as many on the straight Forest service land adjoining them too. They're hard to pattern once the acorns drop but if you put in enough miles walking you'll find them.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Please kill them all. And the guys that decided it was a good idea to transplant them up here need a swift kick upside the head.

RealCountreeboy68

North Ga hog hunting

There's a special hog hunt at Rich mountain WMA Aug. 15th-21st. You can sign in online. As far as I know since its a special hunt, you can use the WMA as you would hunt private land. Meaning, calls and any caliber can be used. I am checking about hunting at night. I live very close to there and have seen alot of fresh sign. Looks like theres plenty of hogs for everyone to bring home the bacon! Yall come on up and getcha some!

Killer Kyle

Please kill them all. And the guys that decided it was a good idea to transplant them up here need a swift kick upside the head.

There are some criminals on this forum that partake in those acrivities! Careful Unicoi, don't want to step on any toes now!!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
There are some criminals on this forum that partake in those acrivities! Careful Unicoi, don't want to step on any toes now!!

Lol...... I could care less about toes or feelings for that matter. Anybody that knows me knows that. The illegal release of hogs in North Georgia has done WAY more damage to the ecosystem than it has done good. But it's too late now, unfortunately they are here to stay.......:banginghe

Rabun

Lol...... I could care less about toes or feelings for that matter. Anybody that knows me knows that. The illegal release of hogs in North Georgia has done WAY more damage to the ecosystem than it has done good. But it's too late now, unfortunately they are here to stay.......:banginghe

So the hogs in N Ga mtns didn't migrate/expand range from other areas of Ga and neighboring states? I thought that was the case but it wouldn't surprise me at all if some morons released them.