Beginner trout fisher

jcal1985

I'm wanting to start targeting trout. I've only caught a few in my time by chance on Bob Callan Trail with red worms. Just invested on some flies with casting bubbles. Whats a good area not too far from downtown that I can go with a legitimate chance of catching something.

Not overly concerned with fish size. Just looking for a good bite and decent fight. I'm mainly a bream fisherman and figure I should probably go about it differently than I do when I'm trying to get into some bluegill and redbreast.

luigi

For me, trout fishing is fun! It's probably my kids' favorite fishing as well.

The area you mentioned is going to be one of the closer areas to downtown for trout fishing. Take a look at the map at https://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/upload/Chattahoochee-Trout-Fishing-Map-2011.pdf to see various access points. I don't fish in that area, but there are others on here who do.

I trout fish further up, either around Azalea Dr and Riverside Dr in Roswell, or Jones Bridge Park in Gwinnett. A lot of people go to Island Ford as well. Jones Bridge and Island Ford are good for bank fishing or wading, fly fishing or spinning/spincasting. Success rate widely varies, but I've had some pretty good days.

Keep in mind all the special regulations on the trout streams (licensing, limit, hours, type of bait/lures, number of rods, Delayed Harvest areas). If fishing above Morgan Falls Dam, especially at Island Ford or Jones Bridge or above, you should check the Buford Dam release schedule before heading out. Even if you are bank fishing it can affect things when the water starts rising and rushing.

You might also check out the Chattahoochee River forum on ngto.org.

Timberman

go to Jones Bridge Park on the Chattahoochee get in the water and wet wade while throwing a gold blade panther martin you'll catch plenty

drewskyc

I agree with the Jones Bridge recommendations. My wife and son put their kayaks in there and float down to Garrard Landing and they always pick off a couple of rainbows. My wife caught a brown trout in that stretch on Memorial Day too.

hopper

Panther Martins and Rooster Tails tear em up JB and north this time of year. Good luck!!

jcal1985

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some flies and a couple of rooster tails. Going to see if I can get into some tomorrow evening. Wish me luck!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Azalea Drive is good if you can find a parking spot. Island Ford is good for wading too.

Maybe it's time to get into the plastic navy? Get yourself a decent kayak and then head up to Settles Bridge. You will have it almost to yourself other than a few other trout fishermen. No Sunday driver tubers and rafters. There's an excellent population of Browns up there too.

Good luck tomorrow. Check the Buford Dam generating schedule before you go though.;)

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
check the buford dam generating schedule before you go though.;)

^^this^^

770-945-1466

Although, since winning the water war they have been minimal at best with releases. None for today.

WPrich

Thanks for that. I had planned on heading to Jones Bridge around 4 today. That looks like a no go. LOL

Yea I wouldn't try it today lol, that first release would have got you but tomorrow should be fine for you. It takes about 6 hours for the release to reach Jones Bridge from the​ dam, but I usually pack up about 5 hours just to be on the safe side myself.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
It does take several hours for the water to get to Jones Bridge. About 8 to Roswell I guess.
Fishing during the actual release times will give you the lowest cleanest water available at these downstream sites.
I like.
This far downstream you will be able to notice when the water gradually starts to rise. Up towards the dam there are sirens that sound and the water comes up pretty fast.

WPrich

This far downstream you will be able to notice when the water gradually starts to rise. Up towards the dam there are sirens that sound and the water comes up pretty fast.

I normally keep my eye on a rock and when I see the water start rising above where I remember I get out!!! I was at dam during release for first time last week and that water comes very fast, if you hear the sirens I suggest be out of the water at the second siren.

jgoins

Make sure you use light line also, preferably 4lb flourocarbon
It will help out on success rates

jcal1985

Fellas....got out there at Jones Bridge around 6 today....a white curly tail grub netted me this joker. He really hammered it and fought on my ultralight with 2lb mono. A little too hard. I couldn't get the hook out of him quick enough. My intentions were to toss him back but he'll be fine table fair now....sorry for the picture quality

Attachments

• 20170627_190320.jpg
    20170627_190320.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 217