My opinion on North Ga

tree cutter 08

Coastie; no there's no links between the two. But since game laws and bag limits have to pass through the Senate you cant tell me some money ain't involved in getting certain things passed. That's my opinion which ain't much. Look into how much deer collisions cost insurance companies in ga a year. A little cash under the table to certain people is a drop in the bucket to what they spend in repairs. If you can find it I guarantee you deer collisions have decreased since the limit went to 12.

Cabin creek man

Yeah we can't be naive and believe that insurance companies don't have a major influence probably more influence than the dnr biologists on deer management i'n Georgia. The largest insurance company i'n Georgia the Georgia farm bureau, has a upper membership group that reads right out of our state house and senate. Think about it the dnr falls under the department of agriculture the greatest voice in agriculture i'n Georgia once again Georgia farm bureau. Ofcourse other insurance companies also have their lobbyists i'n the fray as well. Just my opinion but I wouldn't for a second think that insurance companies didnt have the major if not the deciding influence i'n the 12 deer a season limit. It is a no-brainer they are just protecting their bottom
Line automotive collision payouts as well as crop depredations.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Yeah we can't be naive and believe that insurance companies don't have a major influence probably more influence than the dnr biologists on deer management i'n Georgia. The largest insurance company i'n Georgia the Georgia farm bureau, has a upper membership group that reads right out of our state house and senate. Think about it the dnr falls under the department of agriculture the greatest voice in agriculture i'n Georgia once again Georgia farm bureau. Ofcourse other insurance companies also have their lobbyists i'n the fray as well. Just my opinion but I wouldn't for a second think that insurance companies didnt have the major if not the deciding influence i'n the 12 deer a season limit. It is a no-brainer they are just protecting their bottom
Line automotive collision payouts as well as crop depredations.

DNR doesn't fall under the Department of Agriculture, they are both separate "departments". I'm sure some insurance companys lobbied for increased bag limits at that time, but the general public (hunters and non-hunters) also wanted a decrease in the deer population.

Cabin creek man

Ok dnr no longer falls under the dept of ag I thought it still did but that aside I still say if you believe that the general public including John q hunter had as much influence i'n the decision to increase the bag limit to 12 deer i'n Georgia as the insurance companies I believe you are much misinformed.

mtr3333

Banned
If the bag limit were dropped to 3 does and earn-a-buck implemented, doe harvest statewide would double or triple. Does anyone else not see the opposing objectives of combining these changes? I assume you mean to reduce doe harvest by reducing the bag limit, but earn-a-buck is a drastic tool to rapidly reduce a population.

Even at any limit set, there would be not enough here and too much there...

combatcomm

I say leave the bucks at two, or reduce it to one, then people will not waste their buck tag on a small one. I would also reduce the doe’s to five. This might add more thought before someone pulls the trigger and maybe let some of the deer get a little older before they are harvested.

Just my thoughts not to offend anyone. Happy hunting.

combatcomm

Most have no ethics. Just like the idiot that came in on me the other morning where I was hunting. I tried flashing him off with my light but he kept on coming. Told him I was hunting here, he said "I going about 200 yards on down." I told him "you'll be in my line of fire."

Anyway the pain of hunting public land. He spooked everything and didn't get a thing. I left him a good blood trail back out to where he parked beside me.:D

I hear ya, I try to have faith in fellow man, but they let me don’t allot.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Ok dnr no longer falls under the dept of ag I thought it still did but that aside I still say if you believe that the general public including John q hunter had as much influence i'n the decision to increase the bag limit to 12 deer i'n Georgia as the insurance companies I believe you are much misinformed.

I think a few on this forum could vouch that I'm not misinformed about much regarding deer in Georgia. Take a look at the Georgia Deer Management Plan and review the survey data on what the general public thought about deer density at that point in time. I never made any reference to the level of influence, I just said that the general public and the insurance companies both wanted deer density lowered across much of the state.

River Rambler

Maybe someone already posted this, but you have a major difference with season lengths.

Wisconsin has a very short (1 week?) rifle season.
We have a very generous season with very generous limits.

Georgia is so different everywhere. In my club the guys won't touch a doe, but they'll smoke a 6 point...and just call it a cull buck. This bugs me because they're killing every opportunity for a big buck. Ration needs to be between 1:1 and 1:2, along with an 8pt spread limit.

No prescription works for every county. And trust me, you don't want different regs for every county....try hunting Alaska and you'll see what a nightmare it is just trying to stay legal.

Silent Assassin

This might be good for your trophy hunters but the comment you made about 7 deer being enough groceries for a family is just not true... We usually have 4-6 deer in the freezer and it won't last past April.... We use it in any and all cooking instead of beef. I run a hunting club and use the basic GA laws as our guide lines and we have plenty of deer both bucks and does... The one rule that helps is that even though Ga allows 12 deer you can only kill 6 in our club the rest must be killed elsewhere.... keep your earn a buck idea I paid for that tag!!!!

Hunting is not and has not ever been intended to be a means to take any and all resources available to feed your family for twelve months. Hunting is a right we have and a responsibility we have to conserve and protect our resources. Providing table fare for your family is not what conservation of this species is about. Nobody is "entitled" to take what belongs to all without regard for what is best for the species and everyone involved.

The mtn man

Hunting is not and has not ever been intended to be a means to take any and all resources available to feed your family for twelve months. Hunting is a right we have and a responsibility we have to conserve and protect our resources. Providing table fare for your family is not what conservation of this species is about. Nobody is "entitled" to take what belongs to all without regard for what is best for the species and everyone involved.

Our rights as US citizens to feed ourselves how we wish as long as law is obeyed, would eat ground deer year round rather than ground beef with pink slime. wild turkey rather than storebought products fed out with hormone filled feed.I just don't kill enough deer to feed my family year round, I usually put 5-7 deer in the freezer, by April I'm usually out.Nothing wrong with one going to Gods grocery store,.If you have never known anyone that has to shoot wild game to feed their family, you dont know many folks too proud for government assistance, I know some who choose to make their own way without much money. sometimes they open season early or late, most turn their head, cause they know they need it, don't take food stamps.

Silent Assassin

Our rights as US citizens to feed ourselves how we wish as long as law is obeyed, would eat ground deer year round rather than ground beef with pink slime. wild turkey rather than storebought products fed out with hormone filled feed.I just don't kill enough deer to feed my family year round, I usually put 5-7 deer in the freezer, by April I'm usually out.Nothing wrong with one going to Gods grocery store,.If you have never known anyone that has to shoot wild game to feed their family, you dont know many folks too proud for government assistance, I know some who choose to make their own way without much money. sometimes they open season early or late, most turn their head, cause they know they need it, don't take food stamps.

Don't get me wrong here. My family eats deer as well. But I would not rely on deer if it meant the detriment of the herd. Venison is great and yes I would take it over beef. I just wouldn't be selfish enough to take more than what was sustainable for everyone else. There are some people who would take what they want and not care if everyone else starved... deer herd be darned. If it meant the deer would be extinct they would do it anyway and feel it was their "right". I have never needed government to hold my hand. I have been on hard times in the past and I know many families who have lost everything. It sucks but it isn't anything hard work won't fix over time. If we want a better deer herd and a healthier deer herd then we as hunters must not depend on government to be stewards of our resources or we must get our government to set guidlines in place to preserve what we have. I guess all of the people wondering where the deer have gone know now. It appears from the responses that people are going to shoot whatever they want regardless of limited resources or limited number of deer. I really thought this would have turned into more of an intellegent conversation instead of responses from folks saying they are going to kill as much as they want to because they can.

The mtn man

Don't get me wrong here. My family eats deer as well. But I would not rely on deer if it meant the detriment of the herd. Venison is great and yes I would take it over beef. I just wouldn't be selfish enough to take more than what was sustainable for everyone else. There are some people who would take what they want and not care if everyone else starved... deer herd be darned. If it meant the deer would be extinct they would do it anyway and feel it was their "right". I have never needed government to hold my hand. I have been on hard times in the past and I know many families who have lost everything. It sucks but it isn't anything hard work won't fix over time. If we want a better deer herd and a healthier deer herd then we as hunters must not depend on government to be stewards of our resources or we must get our government to set guidlines in place to preserve what we have. I guess all of the people wondering where the deer have gone know now. It appears from the responses that people are going to shoot whatever they want regardless of limited resources or limited number of deer. I really thought this would have turned into more of an intellegent conversation instead of responses from folks saying they are going to kill as much as they want to because they can.

We can all agree that if everyone liked hunting as much as we do one season would probably do the deer in forever.

Scotsman

I`m not familiar with those mountain deer ya`ll got up there, and only hunted there once back in 1980. I know ya`ll have some good hard mast trees up there for winter feed, but what are the summer sources of feed ya`lls deer have?

Nic, while I am not in an area that is exclusive mountain habitat, even here in Walker and Catoosa counties, there is not an abundance of agriculture to serve as spring/summer browse. I am certain there are many other food items available but I have seen deer take advantage of the growth that you would expect: honeysuckle, blackberry, green-brier, summer grasses and weeds. I've seen them eat young maple leaves and sumac and they like kudzu (which, I hear is related to soybeans). Like anywhere else, they will hit folk's home gardens and landscape plantings, roses and various flowering annuals.

I have killed deer with privet in their stomachs, so I'm guessing they will eat that in summer as well.

It has been slim pickings for us up here as far as sightings go. During daylight hours, out of 23 hunts, I have seen a total of 12 deer. It is not important for me to kill one, after hunting for the past 42 years, I've been blessed better than I deserve, but it would be nice to see some when you are trying to introduce deer hunting to a new generation of young hunters. Young people tend to lose interest if they don't see the things they are hunting.

For the past few years, I see more deer during bow-season than in gun season. I believe they have made the adjustment and move more at night.

Last edited:

280bst

Oh my I'm gonna get beat up by the eliteist 1st Hunting ain't a sport it's a way of Life somebody been watching too much T.V. I feel like if you hav'nt seen any does it your fault went this morning and between me and my partner we saw 7 in @ 2 hrs. this other person did'nt see any so I geuss all the does are gone if you talked to that 3rd person. I have them all the time at all different hours of the day on my trail cams.I hunt in Franklin Co. not really a Mecca for Deer.I also don't care what they do else where I have a hard time keeping up with the boys in Atl. I also don't believe there is such a thing as a Cull buck unless it's diseased. One more thing the tags ought to come back Good Luck to All no matter what Your reason for Hunting is enjoy the time respect the reason's other people Hunt that may be Hard for some

Silent Assassin

I should have been more clear earlier. I should have worded it Northern Zone and not North GA. I have never hunted north GA. I hunt the Piedmont region.