The Dolittle Raid WWII

Walker44

Now those guys were some COWBOYS I tried for 20 years to get a Beachcraft off the ground in 600 ft from a standing stop Could never even get close They did it with fully loaded bombers
They don't make them like that anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walker44

Great old movie floating around started Spencer Tracy named 30 seconds over tokyo the object of the mission was to drop bombs and beat it to china to crash land the planes and be hidden by the China forces look it up

Walker44

Linking videos from sites such as YouTube MUST be embedded versus linking to the site page the video is on. The member has a responsibility to ensure that video content is appropriate for this forum and is in compliance with the G-rating.
Link removed by moderation. Please embed and repost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Strangelove

Always an amazing story.

Walker44

Another amazing story is THE LOST Battilion WW1 these guys were men my grandfather was with them the 77 NY

Another amazing story is THE LOST Battilion WW1 these guys were men my grandfather was with them the 77 NY
There is a painting at Fort Gordon of Cher Ami. The famous carrier pigeon that saved the lost battalion from U. S. Artillery.

This bird was sent by U.S. Army Signal Corps soldiers assigned to the 77th Divisons lost battalion. Saved allot of U.S. soldiers.

Attachments

• IMG_1514.JPEG
    IMG_1514.JPEG
    32.2 KB · Views: 209

Big7

The Oracle
Taking off in a loaded bomber off an aircraft carrier deck was an amazing feat. Those guys are the real heroes.

Especially when you consider it was NOT designed
for ship work.

Some of them landed in China..

A bunch didn't make it.

Hero's ALL!!

Especially when you consider it was NOT designed
for ship work.

Some of them landed in China..

A bunch didn't make it.

Hero's ALL!!
One crew was captured and executed in Japan.

Great old movie floating around started Spencer Tracy named 30 seconds over tokyo the object of the mission was to drop bombs and beat it to china to crash land the planes and be hidden by the China forces look it up
I read the book and it was great.

rayjay

Now those guys were some COWBOYS I tried for 20 years to get a Beachcraft off the ground in 600 ft from a standing stop Could never even get close They did it with fully loaded bombers
They don't make them like that anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You get the ship going 30+ knots and add in a 30+ knot head wind and you have 60 knots air speed before the plane ever moves 1 inch. Most of the planes made it off way before the end of the deck. One pilot forgot to lower his flaps and had a longer run and a bit of a dip.

The forgotten part of this tale is the 10's of thousands of Chinese that were executed by the Japanese in the area where they flyers made their escape.