Older Tractor troubleshoot

1gr8bldr

I have a good shape 1965 Fordson Super Dexta, almost the exact version of a more known Massey 135. I rebuilt everything from the ground up about 12 years ago. 2 years ago, it did something while working a food plot, half running but I got it trailered. It has not cranked since. Been sitting. I assumed it was the fuel injector pump so I had it rebuilt and I put it back on, assuming I correctly timed it? Today I pulled the injectors again and noticed the holes in the head were no longer round as if they were burning out on one side, I think as sign of losing compression by the injectors. I cleaned them out and installed new copper washers and pulled it off. It crank and ran.... but has no power. It's blowing much black smoke, unburnt fuel, I assume. I have bypassed the oil bath filter so it's not lack of air. The motor acts as if it's under a load, like I'm pulling a dbl turn plow, to deep. Diesels are simple, it must be a valve issue. The case vent hose has always "breathed" a little smoke. Now it's not, however the air intake seems to be blowing and sucking. Maybe this is normal? It will suck your hand to it, but its seems to be blowing as well. I hate to pull the head for exploritory surgery. Any ideas on what to check? I wonder.... 15 years ago, it spun a main bearing and was acting similar, and eventually locked up. I wonder if this is happening now?

1gr8bldr

I started to check compression but I don't have the proper adapters to fit in place of the injector. My kit is mostly for spark plugs. I have a harbor freight nearby, there kit may have what I need. I thought about getting it running and cracking the injector lines, one by one to see if I have a bad cylinder not firing, listening for no change in rpm. I need to pull the valve cover and see if anything looks wrong with the valve operation??????

SGADawg

That blowing and sucking at the intake sounds like a stuck or bent valve to me if the timing on the injector is right, but I'm not a mechanic.

B

BornNRaised

Sounds like a valve/ lifter/ rocker issue...it should only suck.

1gr8bldr

It crank in reverse, once, while I was pulling it off, The exhaust was coming out the air intake. No exhaust out the exhaust pipe. Something to do with turning while being pulled, causes one tire to turn backwards. I shut it down quickly. It has not done that since

K80Shooter

I would pull the valve cover 1st and check all the rocker arms for any excessive loose motion, rotate the engine a little at a time while checking. If you do not find anything wrong and if you have one check the temp of the exhaust manifold where each outlet is coming off the head with a thermometer. You're looking for one that is hotter than the rest of them. This cylinder is where you would start looking for a problem. Also not knowing how the injectors or fuel system works I cant tell you exactly what to do there but if like you mentioned before you could crack the fuel lines one at a time, the engine should skip, sputter or run rough when you do this, if so start looking at that cylinder for a problem

K80Shooter

Something else you could do is to drop the exhaust manifold then start it up. You'll be able to see which cylinder is doing all the smoking. Look for wetness inside the exhaust holes also, that may help tell where the problem lies.