Cars 2023

Big Foot

Half of all new cars sold by 2023 will be all electric...big auto reports.

I'm going to try and stretch my current 150 to be my back up 3rd car need a truck thing until my next new ride which will be electric...

Not a fair comparison, but when I went from my Ranger to Electric cart for hunting, the upside is huge!!! I could rent for long road trips if needed who drives more than 100 miles per day anyway = zero upkeep $$

EV have come along way in a short amount of time...

Ga trying to bring back the tax break on EV now...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I do not want an electric car. I have zero use for a vehicle that will only go a few miles, then takes hours to recharge. Same with electric carts for hunting. Tried several different ones. Every time you need it, its dead. Every time you come back to camp, it's limping and you're pushing it up little hills. Then it takes hours to charge it back up. A pox on useless electric vehicles.

DannyW

I don't own an EV but know several people who do. They love them. The current range for even a low end EV is more than a "few miles". Most have a range of at least 80-100 miles which is more than enough for a commute to and from work. But they are not completely cost free...it takes electricity to recharge the batteries, and while it's cheaper than gasoline, it still costs money to refuel the vehicle.

My mechanic owns one of these EV's and he made a good point that I had not considered...the electric engine eliminates a bunch of stuff that comes with an internal combustion engine like the starter, fuel pump, spark plugs, etc. That means less things to go wrong, and less maintenence costs.

The big question mark for me is the useful life of the battery, and how much it costs to replace. Rightly or wrongly I think of EV's like like I think of electric drills but on a much larger scale...when an electric drill battery goes bad, you may as well throw the whole drill away because the cost of a replacement battery is prohibitive.

EV's aren't for everyone, including me at this point, but I certainly believe the original point that they will begin to dominate the market in the next 10 years or so.

Down4Count

So, do you use Hydo, Nuclear or fossil fuel generated power? The going green with EV is a crock of crap.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
All we'll need now is a whole new power grid. Then we'll be all set.

My biggest concern with this is how a large percentage of monies collected and used by states for road upkeep is from.... GAS TAXES!! So, in an effort to ward off those fake evils drilled into us by Gore & O'Bama, we will soon see an increase in state taxes above and beyond those taxes paid at the pump.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
A buddy of mines mom has/had a 5-6 year old hybrid of some kind. Needs new battery's. The battery's cost more than the car is worth

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
GA trying to bring back tax breaks so they will sell more huh??!!!!

Here's a better idea. BUILD CARS PEOPLE WANT TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!

EV's are junk IMHO and nobody wants them. They limit your options prohibitively. Say you've got a 40 miles drive to work. Just to and from that's 80 miles. Now say you're at work and a loved one is in an accident and is at a hospital on the other side of town that's 30 miles out of your way to go home. Now what was an 80 miles drive has just become a 110 mile drive. What are you gonna do??!!!!! Go home and charge your car for 8hrs before you go to be with them??!!!!!

Just think about how many times your plans change on a moment's notice and the freedom that your personal vehicle allows you to do as you wish. We are the most free society on the planet because of our cars and transportation infrastructure.

Like my gun they can have my fossil fuel burning, non autonomous vehicle when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't own an EV but know several people who do. They love them. The current range for even a low end EV is more than a "few miles". Most have a range of at least 80-100 miles which is more than enough for a commute to and from work. But they are not completely cost free...it takes electricity to recharge the batteries, and while it's cheaper than gasoline, it still costs money to refuel the vehicle.

My mechanic owns one of these EV's and he made a good point that I had not considered...the electric engine eliminates a bunch of stuff that comes with an internal combustion engine like the starter, fuel pump, spark plugs, etc. That means less things to go wrong, and less maintenence costs.

The big question mark for me is the useful life of the battery, and how much it costs to replace. Rightly or wrongly I think of EV's like like I think of electric drills but on a much larger scale...when an electric drill battery goes bad, you may as well throw the whole drill away because the cost of a replacement battery is prohibitive.

EV's aren't for everyone, including me at this point, but I certainly believe the original point that they will begin to dominate the market in the next 10 years or so.

Yes, 80-100 miles is a "few miles" to me for practical purposes. My daily trip to work and back is a fuzz over 80, and I often have to go outside that on the way home. I also commonly make 150-250 mile trips very regularly.

It's 25 miles to the nearest town from my place. I do not want to be at the mercy of a dead battery if I need to get somewhere. They are totally and completely worthless for my needs.

Plus, I've never seen one that will realistically haul a load of firewood, or tow a boat or trailer. Or get off the pavement.

If you live in a city, drive five miles to work, and never go anywhere else, and you are a hippie that never uses a vehicle for work or anything else than hauling yourself to the protest or the vegan restaurant; then maybe they're for you. :D

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Da Possum

Campfire Helper
Yes, 80-100 miles is a "few miles" to me for practical purposes. My daily trip to work and back is a fuzz over 80, and I often have to go outside that on the way home. I also commonly make 150-250 mile trips very regularly.

It's 25 miles to the nearest town from my place. I do not want to be at the mercy of a dead battery if I need to get somewhere. They are totally and completely worthless for my needs.

Plus, I've never seen one that will realistically haul a load of firewood, or tow a boat or trailer. Or get off the pavement.

If you live in a city, drive five miles to work, and never go anywhere else, and you are a hippie that never uses a vehicle for work or anything else than hauling yourself to the protest or the vegan restaurant; then maybe they're for you. :D

Why do you hate the environment????

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

DannyW

Like I said, they aren't for everyone. And I agree that there are no good EV options, right now in 2018, that meet the definition of a working truck that can haul, tow and go off-road.

But to classify everyone that uses one, or might use one, as a "vegan or hippie going to a protest"? That's pretty narrow-minded...there are lots of good people out there who average less than 100 miles per day (36,500 miles per year) that may find it to be an acceptable solution to $2.50 per gallon gas prices. Some may be tree huggers choosing EV as environmental statement, but I suspect a lot of them will make the EV choice purely as a financial decision. I won't judge their motives, nor their lifestyles, based on their choice of energy to power their car.

It's not for me either, like you they don't fit my particular needs, but I am going to be open minded about the future of EV. My prediction is that in 40-50 years, gasoline powered cars will be as rare as EV cars are today.

Cmp1

BANNED
Flex fuel vehicles are much better,,,, and fuel cell vehicles are really the way to go,,,, H20 is the result,,,, need the infrastructure,,,,

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Because I don't want a lil' car that'll flip over if I run over a possum. :)

If you hit them right it won't flip but the electric motor will be sitting next to you on the console.:bounce:

T-N-T

I bet gas prices skyrocket as a result.
The gas companies have already shown they will make up for lost profit.

When prices soared a few years ago then came down they belly ached about profits being down.

Does anyone think they will stand for a 50% cut in sales and keep the price the same?

NOYDB

BANNED
I bet gas prices skyrocket as a result.
The gas companies have already shown they will make up for lost profit.

When prices soared a few years ago then came down they belly ached about profits being down.

Does anyone think they will stand for a 50% cut in sales and keep the price the same?

No. They will push gas as being a premium product and put it in crystal bottles. It will be like wine with a vintage and from "The Valley". The same fools who pay $150 a bottle of fermented grape juice will claim they can smell which vintage of gas your car is burning.