Hammocks

wilber85

I have been a backpacker for a long time, but I always have used a traditional tent/sleeping bag. Lately I have been looking at either a Hennessy Hammock or a War Bonnet Blackbird.

Any input on which you prefer and if it is doable in the winter?

Randy

Yes it is doablein the winter. I will never sleep on the ground again. I have about 10 different hammocks right now with another on the way. There is no better sleep. I even sleep in one at home about 3 nights a week.

As for Hennesy vs. the BlackBird, I have both. They each have their pros and cons. The Blackbird is a little easier to hang and a little warmer if using a pad between the layers. I like the Explorer Delux better than the Expedition. But the Cadilac for me is the Clark NX or TX 250. Many more features.

For winter you really need to go with a top quilt and an under quilt.

We use the Hennessy Expediations for our scouting trips when possible. Haven't slept in a tent in several years. You must have a good top quilt / under quilt during colder months. Regardless of your sleeping bag, you compress the loft and you will get cold. A thermocell is a good idea during times when the skeeters are out. Skeeters can get to you through the hammock material. If you go with the Hennessy, make sure to get the snake skins with it.

zacherwalker

I like to go ultralight when I hike, usually to places to fly fish...meaning my fishing gear takes the place of common luxuries (tent and pad)..I use the ENO doublenest hammock; very very lightweight and literally rolls up into the size of a softball clips on your pack with a carabiner. I also use the dry fly rain tarp by ENO to cover over top when its raining...when its cold a nice down sleeping bag and a fire a couple feet away keep me more than warm...its cheaper than most hammocks I found and Ive had it for 3 years and still using it

throwdown

I was like you until 3 years ago when a buddy of mine let me sleep in his Hennessy on a trout fishing trip. It's all I use now if I'm not with the family, they can get a little cold in the winter set up is key. And you really better listen to the people telling you to bring a thermocell in the summer!!!

antique41

Just another opinion. I have been backpacking about 60 years(time flies when your having fun). I'm 70 now and just did the lower half of SMNP. I use an ultralight tarp in the summer and a UL tent(1.45 lbs)in the winter. Found that my old bones don't take to a hammock too well. That and falling out of it in the middle of the night when my bladder gets me up. Also like the convenience of having my pack at hand(also use it for my pillow).

97 Mangler

I use a Hennessey Hammock with a Big Agnes bag that has the sleeping pad pocket underneath for the cold months. I find the combination very comfortable in temps into the 20's.

1eyehunting

for warmth and comfort, try setting hammock height so that your weight brings you just barely down on to pad, sleeping bag, or ground. helps w insulation and stops swingin all night-

SarahFair

This may be a dumb question
When sleeping in a hammock how do you repel animals?

We went camping back in the summer and had bears come through every night

shakey gizzard

I like to go ultralight when I hike, usually to places to fly fish...meaning my fishing gear takes the place of common luxuries (tent and pad)..I use the ENO doublenest hammock; very very lightweight and literally rolls up into the size of a softball clips on your pack with a carabiner. I also use the dry fly rain tarp by ENO to cover over top when its raining...when its cold a nice down sleeping bag and a fire a couple feet away keep me more than warm...its cheaper than most hammocks I found and Ive had it for 3 years and still using it

X2 on the double nest!

Beartrkkr

Just make sure you have some overhead cover somewhere (tarp, etc) if it rains or you'll be entombed in the hammock for the duration.

crackerdave

I've heard hammocks referred to as a "bear pinata".
:bounce:

Another vote for the Hennessy here.Hammocks are great when you're at sea,too.When it's hot and humid down in the bunks,it's nice and breezy on the deck!They compensate for the rolling of the boat,too.