Beck and Gregg Hardware Atlanta

Walker44

I recently obtained a S&W highway patrolman pistol The person I purchased it from had obtained it from an estate of a Law Enforcement officer in South GA . S&W stated that the piece had been shipped directly to Beck and Gregg Hardware.
I did some checking on Google and it indicated that Beck and Gregg were WHOLESALERS Makes me wonder if they ever had a state contract in the early 70 s
All I can find about them is that were at one point connected to CPC and auto parts rebuilding company after the time of the shipment
Any have any knowledge about them?
Thanks in advance

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
back in the late 70's I use to buy some stuff from them. They were a big wholesale hardware company. They handle everything from bolts to ice cream churns. Firearms then were considered standard hardware inventory.

They were bought out by GPC (Napa) in the 60's and later shuttered sometime after I left the hardware business.

Walker44

back in the late 70's I use to buy some stuff from them. They were a big wholesale hardware company. They handle everything from bolts to ice cream churns. Firearms then were considered standard hardware inventory.

They were bought out by GPC (Napa) in the 60's and later shuttered sometime after I left the hardware business.
Thanks for the reply since mine is a 1973 shipped too than I am guessing they wholesalers to law enforcement

godogs57

Worked in the 70’s and early 80’s in an Atl gun shop. We bought our guns and assorted “gun stuff” like ammo, clothes, cleaning supplies, optics, whatever from Beck & Greg and Walthour & Hood, a similar wholesaler. On occasions I’d go on a road trip to B&G to pick up an order, rather than wait on delivery. In those days “security” was not that big a deal. If you needed to pick up a gun, it would more than likely be with others stacked on a wooden pallet. The Ruger 77’s were all stacked on this pallet, 700’son that pallet. Over there was the Browning Auto 5 pallet....so on and so forth....all up and down a hallway. I had to pick up a Ruger 77,270 one day....headed to that pallet and rooted through the 77’s until I found a 270 with nice wood! They didn’t care one iota.

Neat place to roam around.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Beck and Greg did a lot of government business. They had a catalog probably 8 inches thick.

Gary Mercer

In late "66 I took a "part-time" job with the Dorchester County, SC Sheriff as a weekend deputy. ( I was the right seat guy on Friday and Saturday nites. And at High school football games.)
Sheriff Knight got me a .38 S&W police special, a black pistol belt, and holster from B&G in Atlanta. Took about a week to get there. Everything came in a big B&G box, with the items packaged in their own wrapping inside. I think the whole thing came to a little over $100, and the Sheriff let me pay it off over several months, a little out of each very small paycheck. But I was a youngster just back from Nam, no money, and two little boys, and the great wife I still have today. So a part time job was great.
Your post brought back a lot of memories. And the Smith is out in the safe in the garage, still in the holster with my badge attached.