Truck tires

SWAMPFOX

I'm in the market for 5 new tires for my 2003 Ford F150 4x4. Wheels are 16".

I'm looking at Toyo Open Country tires. They have an aggressive lug pattern that I hope will work well on the wet clay dirt roads that I have to travel around my hunt club and surrounding areas.

My concern from what I'm reading on line is that you don't get much mileage out them since they seem to wear down pretty fast. True or false? My F150 is a daily driver and except for when I'm in the woods, it's mostly driven on paved city streets.

I'd also be open to looking at some other type or brand that would work.

Thanks.

transfixer

I bought a set of Toyo Open Country AT's 265/75/16 last year, I've only got maybe 7-8k miles on them, but I can't tell any wear at all . Tread pattern is a good balance between aggressiveness and smoothness on the highway. Mine are on a 99 F350 diesel 4x4 , which is driven on road probably 90% of the time, the other 10% on our lease, which is mostly Ga red mud roads, they've performed well for me.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I always get 80,000-90,000 miles out of the Goodyear ATS that is on my 2001 f 150 4x4

benellisbe

It is hard to beat BFG all-terrains. I have had numerous sets and have always gotten over 50k miles on them. On my 16 F350 I have the Nitto Ridge Grapplers (about 8k miles) i'm impressed so far. On my Tacoma I have Goodyear Duratracs and they perform great on clay roads, thick black mud and sandy fields around my lease.

I am about out of the Goodyears (45k miles) on the tacoma and am going back to the BFG ATs, mostly for my past experiences.

Alexander

I have Toyo Open Country AT 2s on my Silverado and have right at 80,000 on them. I rotate them every oil change and really only off-road during turkey season. Will be buying another set this summer at some point.

livetohunt

I have problems with the Open Country tires not gripping well on wet roads when they get worn alittle(not to the point I need to replace them). I have BFG all-terrains on my other truck and like them much better than the Toyo Open Country tires.

I have BFG All Terrains on my '04 FX4 and I'm very happy with them. About 8K with no sign of wear at all and they are much smoother and quieter than the Nitto Grapplers I replaced. Mine are 285/70 17

Attachments

• 0410171251a-1.jpg
    0410171251a-1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 286

7Mag Hunter

Look at Mastercraft mud tires.....Got a set last fall before deer
season and really like them....Great in mud, quiet, and went thru
last winters snow storm with no problem.....

j_seph

I have BFG All Terrains on my '04 FX4 and I'm very happy with them. About 8K with no sign of wear at all and they are much smoother and quieter than the Nitto Grapplers I replaced. Mine are 285/70 17
Them wheels need some dirt on em, about blinded me they so shiny.

transfixer

I have problems with the Open Country tires not gripping well on wet roads when they get worn alittle(not to the point I need to replace them). I have BFG all-terrains on my other truck and like them much better than the Toyo Open Country tires.

BFG all terrains are fine if you mostly drive highway, and do well in snow/ice, and they do seem to last a while, but they are worthless in mud, they don't self clean, the tread clogs with mud and then you might as well have slicks on.

660griz

BFG all terrains are fine if you mostly drive highway, and do well in snow/ice, and they do seem to last a while, but they are worthless in mud, they don't self clean, the tread clogs with mud and then you might as well have slicks on.

This was very true with my first set of BFG ATs. Got a lot of miles on them but, they did suck in the mud. However, to be fair, I haven't used an AT tire that didn't suck pretty bad in the mud. I got the new BFG AT KO2s. I was on a dirt road ride after a couple days of hard rain. Road got pretty sloppy. I wasn't filled with confidence but, I didn't get stuck either.
They seem to do better that the old ones but, I still wouldn't consider them for mud drive. I have a SxS for that. :)

Oldstick

I have Open Country 16's on my Tacoma. But they are the H/Ts (highway). At least 40K on those and lots of tread left. They are very smooth and quiet riding too.

shark31

I have about 40,000mi on a set of 255/85 R16 Cooper ST/Maxx tires. They are really quiet and have worn well. They rock in nasty stuff compared to an AT, but are almost as quiet.

Dub

My last truck was a 2007 Frontier that I drove for the past 11 years.

Daily driver, hunt & fishing truck, too.

I ran two sets of Firestone Destination AT tires on it getting well over 50,000 miles on each set.

Offroad performance was always acceptable getting me around where other larger trucks would find themselves stuck.

Wet road gripping was good and so was the handling. Ride was good. Zero road noise.

Great performing tires....maybe not sexy looking, lol....but great all around performers.

Here's the second set with 40,000+ miles on them....

Last October I got truck fever and couldn't fight it off any longer.

I'd been well served by that 4x4 Frontier.....and test drove a pile of new trucks. My budget wouldn't allow for full sized 4x4, but this new Tacoma was doable.

I ran the factory Firestone Destination LE tires for about 4,700 miles and then had a set of 265/75R16 Firestone Destination MT2 tires installed.

I love 'em so far.

Offroad traction is insane.

Road noise on the highway is very minor.

The only downside is wet road traction is lessened....you need to be aware of this and drive accordingly.

They are E-Rated and heavy, but I'm very confident they'll be more than enough for hunting & fishing situations.

Milage hasn't been destroyed too bad as I routinely get over 20 mph average on tanks of gas.

I have no idea how long they'll last......more on that in a year or three, lol.