What caliber?

Geezer Ray

I was wondering if an administrator could set up a poll to see what caliber most people are using when hog hunting.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you can do it yourself. Just like you started this one, scroll down from the box you typed your question it and there is an option to make it a poll with up to 10 choices.

frankwright

Hard to do a poll as it depends on my mood. On any given day I hunt and have killed hogs with .22 Mag, 10mm Glock, .32 Win Spl and .223.
I also have a Remington 740 Carbine in 30.06 one of my kids gave me that I want to kill one with.
I wouldn't know how to mark a poll question!

Geezer Ray

Ok, so I am not so tech savvy. I did try to set up the poll but I am totally lost as how to. I scrolled down and found the box to add a poll to the thread but from there I am over my head. What I am interested in is,

Understanding the rules for hunting hog with weapons based on season that is currently active. If you had only one choice of caliber to use, what would be your prefered caliber when hog hunting?
Can anyone help?

Jester896

Senior Clown
Oh, you're asking about WMA and NF and the game in season restrictions? That may prove to be difficult to answer since you can't use center fire for small game or rim fire for large game other than shotgun.

might have to answer arra then :)

Geezer Ray

Oh, you're asking about WMA and NF and the game in season restrictions? That may prove to be difficult to answer since you can't use center fire for small game or rim fire for large game other than shotgun.

might have to answer arra then :)

Sorry for being so confusing but I am asking Hog hunting regardless of private or public, regardless of season, if you could choose only one caliber for year round hog hunting then which would you choose?

Jester896

Senior Clown
Understanding the rules for hunting hog with weapons based on season that is currently active.

This is what made me think in that direction. There are no restrictions as far as weapons on private land or seasons for hogs.

You may not need a poll since you will have to limit the response. What you have will get a broader group of answers.

Mine would be .223

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sorry for being so confusing but I am asking Hog hunting regardless of private or public, regardless of season, if you could choose only one caliber for year round hog hunting then which would you choose?

I only use my 7 mag , great practice for deer season and when deer season gets here I don’t even have to check my scope , rt in the ear , no tracking !

greg_n_clayton

since you posted in the spot and stalk forum my choice would not be here !

Gator89

I only use my 7 mag , great practice for deer season and when deer season gets here I don’t even have to check my scope , rt in the ear , no tracking !

Best answer on the interwebz, if legal to do so, use your deer rifle for real deal trigger time, practice on feral swine.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Any deer rifle works well on hogs. My favorite for spot and stalk hog hunting, just for its ease of handling, is my 7.62x39 AR.

greg_n_clayton

my long gun would be the Ruger Carbine 44 mag that never gets to go anywhere very often !! But I would like to find another one to keep this one company !! They are few and far between it seems anymore !!

Geezer Ray

I am thinking of getting a Windham Weapons SRC 308 so I can have an automatic for going into brush. Not real comfortable with my bolt when I cant see whats in front of me.

Jester896

Senior Clown
semi-auto :)
with practice you can rack a bolt pretty fast...you know a short action won't hit you in the eye...right?:)

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I am thinking of getting a Windham Weapons SRC 308 so I can have an automatic for going into brush. Not real comfortable with my bolt when I cant see whats in front of me.

I use a .308 but for brush I use buckshot.

bany

I like the 22mag. I’ve used about everything I’ve got.
Thinking about the air rifle next!
Nice way to get tuned in for deer season with the bigger caliber too

chrislibby88

.223 out of a ligtweight AR. Easy to carry when covering ground and they shoulder and point fast and naturally for quick shots. Recoil is light enough to make quick follow up shots if you get a bad hit, or have to make shots on moving targets.