Quick show of hands....

jjy

I focus on where I want to the arrow to go but I'm also aware of the position of the arrow in my peripheral vision. I don't consciously figure gaps so I guess you would say I'm somewhere in between the two.

markland

Both! I shoot instinctive up to about 25yds and use a gap for 30-40!
Oh yeah forgot to add, 3-under!

Last edited:

AllAmerican

One up, two down . . . Eyes on spot with arrow in peryphial, I would like to call it 100% instinctive. Now I'm thinkng about it. . .

Vance Henry

I appreciate all the responses. It's fascinating to hear about all the different shooting styles that are out there. I find myself shooting a recurve one way and a longbow another. Definitely favor the longbow but have lots to learn regardless.

robert carter

Instinctive. I tried 3 under for a few years and was happy then I tried to learn to gap. My shooting went in the toilet from there. I now shoot split finger the way I learned and bleed stuff ..often.RC

oldfella1962

Split finger and just look at the target. I only shoot out to 15 yards so figuring arrow trajectory isn't needed anyway.
I hunt from the ground so my window of opportunity is very short - I can't take the time to aim or think too hard about my shot. That said I can't even imagine using a sight on a bow like the compound shooters.

gurn

Gone but not forgotten
3 under and I'm starting to shoot more instinctively after Dendy has pushed me that way..

Ha I remember the first time I shot with Dendy he saw me shootin and said...."can you shoot fast"??? I took that as in a nice way meanin.
Hey man what the heck are you doin??? Shootin that slow them pigs are gonna get away! Ha!! He was pushing me into his fast but deadly style. :bounce: Id say he shoots about as much instintive as anybody I've shot with.

So like I got this here Gurn Patented Yankee Style (GPYS)....... See pig, bend at knees, slow draw while staring at spot, anchor, refocus, add back tension, start to release, pig gone :confused:, look at Dendy, Dendy looks at me with puzzled look on face. facepalm: Repeat same process later. :confused:
Then theres the Dendy Fast Deadly Style...(DFDS) See pig, Shoot pig, REEEEEK REEEEEK REEEEEK REEEEEK. :hair: Slowly but surely I learn. :bounce: Next time I'm sho gonna gets me one!!! I hope :bounce:

Clipper

Ha I remember the first time I shot with Dendy he saw me shootin and said...."can you shoot fast"??? I took that as in a nice way meanin.
Hey man what the heck are you doin??? Shootin that slow them pigs are gonna get away! Ha!! He was pushing me into his fast but deadly style. :bounce: Id say he shoots about as much instintive as anybody I've shot with.

So like I got this here Gurn Patented Yankee Style (GPYS)....... See pig, bend at knees, slow draw while staring at spot, anchor, refocus, add back tension, start to release, pig gone :confused:, look at Dendy, Dendy looks at me with puzzled look on face. facepalm: Repeat same process later. :confused:
Then theres the Dendy Fast Deadly Style...(DFDS) See pig, Shoot pig, REEEEEK REEEEEK REEEEEK REEEEEK. :hair: Slowly but surely I learn. :bounce: Next time I'm sho gonna gets me one!!! I hope :bounce:

Hey Gurn, this old southern boy shoots slow, too. Guess I need to practice some fast shooting myself.

pine nut

Probably both or either at times.!!!!???. I hate being Bi Polar...Its Awesome! Sort of. Guess I don't really know, maybe. You get the picture?

Todd Cook

Now that's funny right there.