Self bow question?

Vance Henry

For those of you that have made self bows, have you had success making bows WITHOUT going through the steaming and straightening process? I'm at the point with mine where I want to cut some string grooves and start flinging arrows?

Thoughts?

SELFBOW

Ive never tried to steam one. Everybody is different, some want them straight. I like em natural....I've seen bows where the grooves have been cut into the front and back of the bow it was so twisted.

I've got a straight one I'm playing w now with plans to steam some curves into though .

Last edited:

AnAvidArcher

Same here, I've made about three that shoot pretty great and no steaming or bending. Just chase a ring, get a shape, tiller til it shoots close as possible to perfect and then sand and maybe add leather.

Many people dont like when a bow takes set, but the Osage bow I killed a deer with back in November had about 3 inches of set in it and still did the job. It still has the authority to shoot a 600 grain arrow with oomph.

Todd Cook

Osage and crooked just go together. If you look down Lumpy's bowstring, the top tip leans left and the bottom tip leans right. Martin's Copperhead bends and crooks in more than one direction and he shoots it good. My bow also has about 2 inches of string follow or set, whatever you call it, but it shoots pretty hard.

Vance Henry

The one I'm currently working on has a pretty hard dog leg on about the last 8 inches of the limb. I'm concerned the string wont line up properly so this ones getting steamed and straightened.