Best gun paint

7MAGMIKE

I'm thinking about the same thing but I do not thing you should remove the blueing. Degrease it and paint it. I know some people think this is a bubba process but a rifle is a tool. You can spend a couple of hundred on Duracoat (an excellent process) but what do you do when it needs touch-up, re-coat it. WalMart sells Krylon gun camo paint $4.50 a can. I've heard our sniper forces simply krylon them.

spilltheblood

the reason I asked was because I recieved a gun that someone tried to remove the blueing and messed up the blueing

7MAGMIKE

I would just degrease it and paint it.

bighonkinjeep

Don't do it. just re blue it with a Hoppes gun blue kit.easy to use and you won't you wont be sorry.I've spent hours on several occasions de bubbaizing painted rifles. Synthetic stocks OK, metal never.
BHJ

BookHound

Gun are tools. Nothing more. Degrease it and paint it.

marksClassRig%20(Medium).jpg

finishedPaintJob%20(Small).jpg

Paint the high-end optics too. They are also tools.

paintedLeupold%20(Medium).jpg

paintedMeopta%20(Medium).jpg

Here are a few of my "bubba" tools:
paintedrifles%20(Medium).jpg

Mark

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gun are tools. Nothing more. Degrease it and paint it.

marksClassRig%20(Medium).jpg

finishedPaintJob%20(Small).jpg

Paint the high-end optics too. They are also tools.

paintedLeupold%20(Medium).jpg

paintedMeopta%20(Medium).jpg

Here are a few of my "bubba" tools:
paintedrifles%20(Medium).jpg

Mark

SWEET!!! :cool:

fi8shmasty

Book hound I like your style. Have you tried the textured krylon paint yet? It is the stuff!!!!

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
There you go, spilltheblood...it's a tool. Degrease it and paint it to please you....it's your gun.

BookHound

Nope. I've only used what I posted in the last pic.

Also, you can remove the Krylon with some more break cleaner and scrubbing. However, you can also coat it with Krylon flat (no gloss) clear coat to make even more durable. I beat on my guns pretty hard though and the normal Krylon stays great. The key is to degrease well with break cleaner before painting!!!

Mark

VHinch

You can spend a couple of hundred on Duracoat (an excellent process) but what do you do when it needs touch-up, re-coat it.

You can if you send it off and have it done. Or you can do it yourself for about $20/weapon.

Here are several I've done-

A 1911 build
remingtonrandcustom002tl5.jpg

Smith 36-
smith36dz1.jpg

A quick job on a Smith Model 10-
sw10002tv4.jpg

Hammack

I used some teflon paint from Brownells a few years ago. It was a bake on finish, and I was very pleased with it.

jglenn

if you want your krylon finish to last longer then try the Clear duracoat on top . It's a semi gloss and can be toned down even more with 0000 steel wool

we've done that with some success and in total it's cheaper that way than buying 4-5 different dura-coat finishes

dura coat is very easy to apply yourself with a cheap HF air brush..

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

DYI hunting

+1 for krylon. Carb cleaner stripps it off in no time so you can change up the pattern/colors. Search for "painting gun" and you will see several threads of what others have done.

I have painted several bolt guns and an AR-15. It is hard the first time, especailly on high dollar firearms. I am still trying to build the courage to paint the FN PBR and optics. It took me a week to get the nerve to paint the AR.

buck down

This is weird!!! I just got finished painting my grips on my ugly black Glock 20 w/ Krylon!!! I will post a pic in a second!
SANY1928.jpg

SANY1929.jpg

bighonkinjeep

1) paint is not a very durable finish.
2) paint smells like paint.
3) most paint doesn't like heat.
4) most moving parts on firearms don't like paint.
5) paint will in all likelihood devalue your firearm.
6) bluing is easy and rewarding (may also devalue your firearm but not like paint)

I wish I had before and after pics of a couple I bought really cheap that were painted. Don't get me wrong paint can be used properly on synthetic stocks etc. But there are much better finishes available for metal.
It's yours do what you will but fixing a boogered up blue job is very easy.
My.02 BHJ