coon hunting on deer lease

Mtn Hunter

Can anybody tell me why it seems most clubs/leases dont allow coonhunting on their land? Even after deer season permission seems to be hard to obtain. Seems to me lowering the coon population in late winter would help the turkey population in the spring. What are your thoughts on this?

Zeus01

study

Years ago I had a magazine with an article about a study done by , I think, the university of South Carolina. They had a bunch of deer with radio collars. They let coon hunters come in and hunt in the test area. Then they tracked how many deer left, how far they went, and how long it took them to return. Only a small percentage left the test area and most of them returned by morning. Most of them just moved around in the test area and avoided the dogs without leaving.

bad mojo

thats right it does not faze them. truth be known it may force 1 of those monster deer to move enuff for someone to have that chance of a lifetime to kill a bidun instead of the avarege buck i have coon hunted most of my life and have walked by and had dogs run by deer laying down and they never moved

Retired Army Guy

yup, folks just don't get it. :crazy: Coon and Rabbit hunting with hounds Does Not Scare off the deer!
Test after test has proven it yet people fail to believe.
I stated this before and Ill state it again. I have seen hard core evidence of this with my own eyes.

I run my Beagles at least twice a month in a 16 acre pen. About 20 other people use this pen as well. The fence is about 4' tall. There is always fresh deer sign "Inside" the 16acre pen. You cant get any more hound usage than this place and the deer jump the fence to get back inside!!
MYTH BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smash:

and yes Coons are a HUGE threat:shoot: to Turkey Eggs and Poul ts!

R G

Maybe they don't want anyone hunting for free. Ask about reduced rates to hunt other game.

Bryan

Maybe they don't want anyone hunting for free. Ask about reduced rates to hunt other game.
It's not that they want to hunt free,Many guy's I know would pay full price just to be able to hunt before and after deer and turkey seasons.

multihunter

Can anybody tell me why it seems most clubs/leases dont allow coonhunting on their land? Even after deer season permission seems to be hard to obtain. Seems to me lowering the coon population in late winter would help the turkey population in the spring. What are your thoughts on this?

Maybe this is one of those things you have to experience to understand. What you need to do is go pay a bunch of money for a lease, put 100 hrs of work into it only to have thieves come & screw it all up, then see how you feel when some coon hunters come & ask to use your land you worked so hard on. For me it wouldn't be anything personal & I know it's not gonna scare the deer off but as deer hunters we have to protect what we have worked so hard on. I know for me it's nice to know that when I get in my stand fri night that no one has been there since i left on sunday, hopefully!! You're also dealing with getting permission from a club, not just one guy & every club has at least one guy who is gonna say no. It's a shame but it seems that once you let some people on your land once they tend to think they have eternal hunting rights to it & that's where the trouble starts, then one guy invites a buddy & so on & so on. Why not go out & get you a coon lease? I'll guarantee if you did you probably wouldn't want anyone else there but the club members.

GA DAWG

NO that aint it...I've had a thread running on here for years looking to pay membership just to coon hunt!! NOT DURING DEER SEASON...I've found 0 clubs to get in off here..Had just a couple of offers but they were to far away..Most just dont want dogs on their land...

whitworth

Those fellers know

They paid their big bucks for a deer lease and have their doctorate degrees in wildlife biology.

All those geniuses know that raccoons don't eat acorns. Leave all of them for those deer.

bad mojo

preach on brother DAWG. and here,s a AMEN from me anyone that pays to hunt a lease has it gated and under lock and key if they would check refernces and let a honest man hunt it would all be good but we all know a few bad seeds spoil the crop for us honest people that obey the rules and have RESPECT for others and their property sorry GA DAWG you can have the pulpit back now the deacon has said ENUFF

bbrown

Coon Hunting And Runing Deer With Dogs

Does not faze them if they happen to run them they will be back . Have treed and a deer will be 10 yards from tree there laying still. Most people are idoits about dog hunting. Hunted deer with dogs for a long time i liked to hear a good race they could run a deer for a hour and they will be back. There was a guy that owned land side where we would run he said he killed more deer on that track than any it would have they moveing aroubd not just laying around.

1222DANO

Look This Is How It Is All Those Guys Ain't Like Us Their The New Breed Of Subdivision Deer Hunters They Buy Their Little Lease In South Ga. Spend Time Baiting Deer Into One Little Spot So That They Can Shoot Them A Big Buck Just So They Can Go Back Home And Make Their Wifes Think Their Grizzly Adams And Really Feel Like A Real Deer Hunter When All A Long Must Of The Deer Are Taken Illegally Anyways

Robk

Every year the same whining shows up. You want to run coons so bad then shell out the bucks and pay for your very own lease and quit your griping.

R

thomas williams

Every year the same whining shows up. You want to run coons so bad then shell out the bucks and pay for your very own lease and quit your griping.

R

WE WOULD IF SOMEONE WOULD LET US LEASE IT!!! I know several people that are willing to pay, but when you mention coonhunting all you get is a NO!

Robk

never seen a leasing company that wouldn't take someone's money for a years lease. Check out the legacy wildlife service or plum creek websites.

R

1222DANO

I'm Not Whining At All I Have Plenty Of Land To Hunt I Just Think You Guys That Spend So Much Money On Getting Away From Your Family For The Weekend And Don't Worry I Not Whining At All I'm Laughing Cause Now That Florida Residents Not Longer Have Rights To Hunt In Ga With A Florida License The Price On Leases Will Drop Some, Guys You Know As Well As I Do They Have To Have Alot Of Money In Those Deer Anyways So Of Course Their Not Gonna Let Someone Coonhunt When You Have As Much In A Deer That You Could Go And Buy 10 Cows You Can't Tell Me Your Eating The Meat. And Another Thing Why Spend All That Money On Making Their Antlers Bigger You Ain't Gonna Get A Ga Record Or Nothing YOU'LL Just SPEND More Money On Getting It Mounted So That It Can Collect Dust. Cause Really Who Gives A Crap About What Another Deer Another Person Shot Anyways. I've Come From A Long,long Line Of Hunters And HAVE HUNTED ALL MY LIFE I PRIDE MYSELF ON DoING It All Coon Hunt,deer Hunt,turkey Hunt, I Hunt Just About Everything And Deer Hunting Has Gotten To The Point Of Not Being Fun Its A Buisness Buy,buy, And Then Buy Whats New This Year And For What The Most Joy I Have Ever Had In My Life Was Getting A Hound Pup Raising It Training It And When It Trees Its First Coon I Know That I Couldn't Have Bought That In Any Store For No Amount Of Money. Most And I Say The Majority Of The Deer Hunters Will Never Know What Scouting A Big Buck And Spending The Time It Takes To Kill A Truly Wild Animal Without Putting Feed Or Having Land Cleared Off And Planting Food Plotts. I Sure Do Appreciate The Post I Have Had That On Me For A Long Time.