Raising orphaned wild hogs???

Clark_Kent

Anyone got any pointers???
Got 5 of them, Mom abandoned them. Few have the umbilical cord still hanging on, not dried up and fallen off yet, so I'm hoping that will give an idea of their age.
I got formula and a glucose/iron/vitamin liquid to give them every 12 hours. They sold me a nipple like for goats to hook to a water bottle to feed them with, but not taking it well yet. I have a human baby bottle with a big X cut in the nipple that I've used for raising puppies in the past. Second feeding so far and they calmed down a bit for it and took 1/4 to 1 oz depending on the piglet.
Have them in a tall sided kids swimming pool with pine shavings in it, with a doubled up bed quilt under it and heating pad under in one spot....but they haven't found it and laid over that spot yet, like my puppies always do.....
If anyone has any pointers, I can't stand to see any kind of babies die! (Even though so far they are named pork chop, bacon, etc.....LOL. I still want to wean them out, fatten em up and put em in the freezer long down the road)
Thanks for any help!

Boondocks

Piglets

Put the heating pad where thet can get on it or maby a heat lamp of some kind.You will also need some medicine for the scours.Keep them warm and dry.

starvin

Thats a great deal.

I would use or put that mixture in some cow or goat milk.

The smell is probably, throwing them off. I'm sure as there bellies talk to them, they will be more responsive to it.

Good Luck.

I'd like to meat pork chop, He sounds yummy.. LOL

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
go to the feed store and get uni-milk. then later dog food, cat food, it don't matter.raised several. make great pets till they get too big. always raised our with dogs, they even chased cars too. looked kinda funny with the hair on their back bristled and grunting running down the dirt road. smarter than dogs-teach 'em all kind of stuff

Clark_Kent

Thanks....that's what I got UniMilk...3.5# and they've almost ate thru that whole bag since Fri evening! I got a bag of starter pellets too, think he said it is 16% pellets. I am soaking it soggy with water for 5 minutes, then mixing the UniMilk into it and they suck it up out of a ceramic bowl. While "Hammy" bulldozes everyone off the bowl!
They are a hoot. Smart as a whip too. Loved the bath I gave them the other day...had to get all the caked on milk off their foreheads! I couldn't believe how much they loved the bath, one actually sat on his butt while I scrubbed his head!
Any idea how long til they will switch off the UniMilk and onto just the food??? I'm thinking just as days go on, mixing more and more of the mush pellet food into the unimilk, til it's more like a thick oatmeal kind of thing, then onto just the pellets from there. But I don't know what kind of time frame to do this over, nor at what age to start. Any further advice appreciated!!!

Jim Baker

Staff member
Thanks....that's what I got UniMilk...3.5# and they've almost ate thru that whole bag since Fri evening! I got a bag of starter pellets too, think he said it is 16% pellets. I am soaking it soggy with water for 5 minutes, then mixing the UniMilk into it and they suck it up out of a ceramic bowl. While "Hammy" bulldozes everyone off the bowl!
They are a hoot. Smart as a whip too. Loved the bath I gave them the other day...had to get all the caked on milk off their foreheads! I couldn't believe how much they loved the bath, one actually sat on his butt while I scrubbed his head!
Any idea how long til they will switch off the UniMilk and onto just the food??? I'm thinking just as days go on, mixing more and more of the mush pellet food into the unimilk, til it's more like a thick oatmeal kind of thing, then onto just the pellets from there. But I don't know what kind of time frame to do this over, nor at what age to start. Any further advice appreciated!!!

If they make it to 3 weeks begin to wean them on to medicated pig pellets, and you will need to worm them as well. Then you will need to castrate the males. Beyond that point if you pen them, you will find them hard to keep penned in, they will root up everthing.

Clark_Kent

Well, here's the pics from last Sat...24 hrs into this ordeal!
The runt died, but the other four seem to be doing just fine. Have been putting Sulmet in the water for coccidia and/or scours...the runt had liquid, stinking poop. These guys have pellets and eating like pigs, so I think I'm all right.
So worm them at weaning at 3 wks? With what?
Do pigs get "shots" like a dog? Like from down at the local Feed & Seed??? Castrate the males....at 3 wks? That sounds like it would be fun! How far you live from Cartersville??? LOL

Clark_Kent

ok let's try pics again.....

Attachments

• 2009_0109pigs0007.jpg
    2009_0109pigs0007.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 3,105
  • 2009_0109pigs0008.jpg
    2009_0109pigs0008.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3,090
  • 2009_0109pigs0009.jpg
    2009_0109pigs0009.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 3,074
  • 2009_0109pigs0010.jpg
    2009_0109pigs0010.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3,121

sidekicks409

i would worry about the shot if i should use a 22 shot or shotgun shot on hammy bacon and porkchop all look good in the frying pan

daisy102998

I am just curious but the one with the stripes, is that a indication of russian boar? I had always heard it was. Just curious.

Corey

Its been a long time but I think my Grandad just put
rubber bands around there jewels, as they get bigger
they just fall off.

Bryan

I've used bands for calves,but don't think that would work for pigs cause of where there located on the body May be wrong? We've always just cut them>

sounds to me like you just got you some new pets. i bet you dont make bbque out of those. your heart want let you do it. good luck. be sure not to sell them to someone who may train dogs with them. nothing against dog hunting for hogs cause i love it but you dont want to raise them up to be done like that. if you can legally release them into the woods i have 6000 acres thats loaded with hogs. a few more want hurt however you would have to contact dnr to see if you can do that. pm me if you need to.

CAL

Raised many hogs when farming.never weaned a pig at less than 6 1/2 weeks and at times 8 weeks.Their eating habit will tell you when.Good luck with them.Without a doubt you are a good man at heart for sure.Only a special person like yourself would take on raising wild hog piglets as most folks would kill them and move on.
I tip my hat to you Sir!

Hawg Daddy

Best thing to do is find somebody else to give them to QUICK.Because my daughters LITTLE pig is 300 + and he still remembers coming inside and jumping in her lap.And if that's not bad enough they live forever 10-15 and LONGER.The uni milk is fine but she fed him every 2 hours for the first 2 weeks and then we started him on baby ceral and now ANY thing.