Whits Springs Fl fishing

moose266

Hey have any of yall fished White Springs, FL? My buddy says he has friends who fish it and they say it is an old phosphate mine and has some huge bass in it. I have looked on googlle and haven't found it yet but have any of you guys heard of it or fished it? If so, let me know what you guys know. thanks

BoosterC

Yep, I fished it about 10 yrs ago. The main public lake is called LANG lake. When I fished it, it had a very primative boat ramp (I took my big bass boat but only allowed to use trolling motor). It had a ton of hydrilla. I found it to be a tough lake to fish. My biggest caught there was only about 3 lb. There was a big fish kill there about 6 yrs ago. We never could find Eagle lake. At that time, there was no ramp on it and only bank fishing was allowed there.

You might try Suwannee Lake. It is not to far from Lang. It is an interesting sink hole lake with lots of cypress trees.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/sites-forecast/nc/hamilton-county-phosphate-pits/

Last edited:

moose266

Ok thanks. We are coming from Valdosta and dont want to dive more than about an hour so i think some of these lakes are a little far. but someone said there is a really good lake in white springs. I just cant figure out what they are talking about. I will have to ask them again. My buddy has not done alot of bass fishing and i want to get him on some big fish. (as well as myself)

moose266

or banks lake. ANyone ever fished it?

sogafishin

Banks can be challenging but very good sometimes.Ive fished Eagle Lake with little luck but it may be me.

moose266

Ok, Eagle lake is further down south right? Banks is a few miles from Valdosta from what I can tell. I have a john boat with a trolling motor. You think Banks will be a good spot for us? It's alot closer and seems to be better than eagle and lang lake. I know one of the two had a big fish kill a few years ago, dont remember which though.

GABASSMAN

Lang is an AWESOME lake.. it is full of some toads and right now it primetime to get on some postspawn action. Eagle is a great lake too, you just have to fish it methodically. Banks is good but very intimidating to most first timers. You need 2 baits, a lightly weighted worm and a frog tied to braid.

7smitty14

Banned
lang lake is one of my favorite gettaway holes. i live in valdosta and when i am not fishing a tournament and want to go fish a lake that i know has hawgs in it then i head to lang. i have set the hook in their numerous times only to never see my worm again. this lake like any other has certain areas in it that ar ebetter than others. a depth finder is a must here bc there are some spots that go from 4 ft to 28 ft very quickly with very sharp drops. these drops can hold big bass. my best day at lang was 24 bass and everyone was between 2.5 lbs up to 7lbs. one of the most fun days i have ever had on the water

Attachments

• lang lake.jpg
    lang lake.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 901

Hut2

How about Lochloosa & Orange, I've heard good things about those yrs ago.

moose266

Lang is an AWESOME lake.. it is full of some toads and right now it primetime to get on some postspawn action. Eagle is a great lake too, you just have to fish it methodically. Banks is good but very intimidating to most first timers. You need 2 baits, a lightly weighted worm and a frog tied to braid.

Why do you say that it is intimidating? And why use braided line?

GABASSMAN

Its full of cypress trees and coontail galore.. everything looks almost exactly the same and many anglers dont know where to start. The reason to use braided line is because of the grass.. If you get a good one on you wont get them in with mono because of the grass.

moose266

oh ok i got ya. From what i understand it is a shallow lake full of cypress and grass but I'm sure there are other places to fish right? Where would you suggest starting?

GABASSMAN

umm no.. its all shallow grass and cypress.. the only open water in out in the middle. Id go to the back and throw a frog.

7smitty14

Banned
lang lake has a lot of deep water in it. i have been all over it with a dept finder and you can slay them draggin a c rig up the steep slopes. yes it has lots of shallow grass and cypress but dont let the lake fool you, you can sink your boat, truck and everything you wish to sink in some spots out there. black flukes work real well in there