Legal or illegal to kill a cougar?

head shot

Banned
Would it be legal to kill a cougar if you saw one while you were out deer hunting?

I checked the regulations book, but the word "cougar" or "panther" aren't in the book anywhere.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
In Georgia, yes. These cats have a variety of names. If there is another shot in this state, the shooter might not be so lucky as the last one was...

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
It is illegal in Georgia to kill a Cougar, Mountain Lion, Puma, Catamount, Panther....Felis concolor by any common or colloquial name.

head shot

Banned
Why is it illegal? Where in the handbook does it say so? I see nothing about a cougar, panther, whatever you want to call it.

Not trying to be rude here, but just want to get my facts straight...

TommyA(GA)

Well if you want to know the answer and can't find it in the regulation book, then contact the GA DNR and ask them. I can tell you though it is illegal regardless if it says it in the book or not. BTW have you read the article on the Troup Co. panther. That may answer your question.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Why is it illegal? Where in the handbook does it say so? I see nothing about a cougar, panther, whatever you want to call it.

The above aren't game species in Ga. If they are here they would either be private property or a protected species

braintree

Milkman said it, Florida panthers for a lack of a better term are an endangered protected species, thus cannot be hunted or killed in the state of Ga.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
O.C.G.A. § 27-3-15

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2009 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2009 Regular Session ***

TITLE 27. GAME AND FISH
CHAPTER 3. WILDLIFE GENERALLY
ARTICLE 1. HUNTING
PART 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-15 (2009)

§ 27-3-15. Seasons and bag limits; promulgation of rules and regulations by board; possession of more than bag limit; reporting number of deer killed

(a) It shall be unlawful to hunt the following game species at any time during the periods set forth below:
Game Species Closed Season
------------ -------------
(1) Quail March 16 -- Oct. 31
(2) Grouse March 1 -- Oct. 14
(3) Turkey May 22 -- March 14
(A) Gobblers
(B) Hens All year
(4) Deer Jan. 16 -- Sept. 7; except
that the closed season may
be Feb. 1 -- Sept. 7 in
those counties specified as
having an extended
archery-only open season in
paragraph (4) of subsection
(b) of this Code section
(5) Bobcat March 1 -- Oct. 14
(6) Opossum March 1 -- Oct. 14, for that
area north of and including
Haralson, Paulding, Bartow,
Cherokee, Forsyth, Hall,
Banks, Franklin, and Hart
counties
(7) Rabbit March 1 -- Oct. 31
(8) Raccoon March 1 -- Oct. 14, for that
area north of and including
Carroll, Fulton, Gwinnett,
Barrow, Clarke, Oglethorpe,
Taliaferro, Wilkes, and
Lincoln counties
(9) Squirrel March 1 -- August 14
(10) Bear Jan. 16 -- Sept. 7
(11) Sea turtles and their eggs All year
(12) Cougar (Felis concolor) All year
(13) Alligators Nov. 1 -- March 31
(14) Migratory game birds March 11 -- August 31

smalljawbasser

in TN, if it is a non-game species, ie there's no season on them, then they are not legal to kill.

for example, if you shoot a killdee on a dove shoot, it's a $150 ticket.

i would assume GA is the same way.

head shot

Banned
Milkman said it, Florida panthers for a lack of a better term are an endangered protected species, thus cannot be hunted or killed in the state of Ga.

If a panther is in Georgia, is it a Florida panther or a Georgia panther? :huh:

Oh well, at least I found what I was looking for. I just hope one doesn't make me fear for my life! I won't think twice on it if I feel I may be in danger ;) !

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Would it be legal to kill a cougar if you saw one while you were out deer hunting?

I checked the regulations book, but the word "cougar" or "panther" aren't in the book anywhere.

By the way, this is a serious question....

Look in the Federal regs. It is protected.

christianhunter

I live in Coweta County,bear have been here several times over the last several years.The panther was very close by also.If they walk on by,I'll let them walk.If they start towards me,in a threatening manner.Law or not,I'm going to kill them,and report it.I'll even give them a warning shot,but if that doesn't work,it will be an oncoming shot placement.There will be no,contradiction about trajectory,and point of entry.I have the right to protect myself,with man or beast.So does everyone else!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If a panther is in Georgia, is it a Florida panther or a Georgia panther? :huh:

Oh well, at least I found what I was looking for. I just hope one doesn't make me fear for my life! I won't think twice on it if I feel I may be in danger ;) !

The official name of the animal is Florida Panther, which at one time, ranged across the lower south. Kinda like "Virginia Whitetail". And if you don`t fear for your life down there where you live, why would you fear one up here. Down there, you are surrounded by the things. How many folks you heard of, been attacked by a panther? Ever?

This ain`t just pickin` at you, it`s directed at everybody who is worried about a critter that ain`t never bothered anybody. And before anybody hollers, I`m not talkin` about the western lions.

Oh yea, I`m sure everybody heard about the man down south of Miami, who was caught with the 80 pound female panther in his freezer. He tried to say it was taken out west on a legal hunt. DNA tests proved otherwise. Last I heard, it was a $10,000 fine, and I can`t remember how many years he was lookin` at.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Eastern Cougar is presumed to be officially extirpated, but is still listed as federally endangered. That trumps all individual state laws, and would make it a federal offense to kill a cougar in any eastern state.