Need some help

nick220

I need some help, suggestions and prayers for my dad. He believes all religions will go to heaven if they are good people because they believe in a higher power. He believes the bible is written by many men and make you believe whatever they want you to believe. My father hates going to church because he does not like organized religion and the church is full of Hippocrates. I know all of his statements are false and would like to guide and prove to him that he is wrong before he does pass away with cancer. Any bible scriptures or thoughts will be appreciated.

gordon 2

Maybe I can help with the label hypocrites. Hypocrites are outright deceivers, liars and so most people especially church people who are labeled hypocrites are not deceivers and liars, but they are sinners in the biblical sense. That is many who are labeled hypocrites are rather people who fall short of the moral and Christian standards they esteem for themselves and other Christians. A hypocrite would be someone that fakes the esteem or value of forgiving but milk's it for their advantage. A believer who hates but claims to be a christian might be a hypocrite or temporarily fallen into sin depending on goal for that hatred. If hatred is a deliberate politic for someone declaring themselves christian then they are hypocrites, but if they hate because because they are overwhelmed in some way by injury they probably are sinning... and not hypocrites.

So most people we label hypocrites are more than no simply sinners and not purposely or knowingly deceivers. They have no deliberate gain in saying one thing and doing the other. They don't always practice what they preach, not because they are cunning and manipulative, but rather they are weak and worried and anxious like most of us can be. Their trust and faith in God, in Jesus, in the Holy Spirit is not what it can be.

Israel

BANNED
Maybe I can help with the label hypocrites. Hypocrites are outright deceivers, liars and so most people especially church people who are labeled hypocrites are not deceivers and liars, but they are sinners in the biblical sense. That is many who are labeled hypocrites are rather people who fall short of the moral and Christian standards they esteem for themselves and other Christians. A hypocrite would be someone that fakes the esteem or value of forgiving but milk's it for their advantage. A believer who hates but claims to be a christian might be a hypocrite or temporarily fallen into sin depending on goal for that hatred. If hatred is a deliberate politic for someone declaring themselves christian then they are hypocrites, but if they hate because because they are overwhelmed in some way by injury they probably are sinning... and not hypocrites.

So most people we label hypocrites are more than no simply sinners and not purposely or knowingly deceivers. They have no deliberate gain in saying one thing and doing the other. They don't always practice what they preach, not because they are cunning and manipulative, but rather they are weak and worried and anxious like most of us can be. Their trust and faith in God, in Jesus, in the Holy Spirit is not what it can be.
^^^^^Makes me glad someone asked for help.^^^^^^

gordon 2

"On the idea that all religions will go to heaven... "

Although this idea can be better said I think there is biblical value in it as to it's truth in part. First off religions don't go to heavens, but righteous people might....

"Do not stop him," Jesus said, "for whoever is not against you is for you." Luke 9:50

Jesus said this about a man who was operating in the spirit that was reported to be not of his disciples!

And many people walked with God before Abraham, and including Abraham and after him and before Jesus came to witness God with us.

So it is wise I think that a man might understand if not knowing the reasons why exactly or unable to pin point them that not only Southern Baptists, or Methodists or Church of Christ folk are saved, but possible also whomever God chooses to call to himself and to his designs... which Christians also don't grasp it all, today...

If a man who is not a disciple of Jesus can operate in the spirit as recorded in scripture... I think those who seek truth via the bible should pay attention...

So what your dad believes about this is perhaps not totally unwise and at least in my esteem gives him a dignity that he is no pushover and can stand on his convictions formed by a christian heart hoping to be in the right place. Personally I'd give you dad credit for thinking what he thinks... and not take away from his spiritual balance sheet... Even if he's wrong I think his heart is in the right way. His heart might make him a better racer than many with more abilities...to racing... just maybe.

Last edited:

nick220

Thanks, talking about God is very difficult with my dad. I am glad he believes in God but Like the bible states the gates are very narrow and not all believers will not enter. I pray every day God will put my dad on his knees for him and cry out for him.

atlashunter

He believes the bible is written by many men and make you believe whatever they want you to believe.

Won't go into the other but this is pretty much undisputed even among believers. If you know it to be false why not just explain to him how you know it to be false?

j_seph

Thanks, talking about God is very difficult with my dad. I am glad he believes in God but Like the bible states the gates are very narrow and not all believers will not enter. I pray every day God will put my dad on his knees for him and cry out for him.
Do not give up on the prayer, pray without ceasing and call his name out, be specific. A guy at church dad got saved, at a hospital he was in for 2 weeks. He was 84 years old and many told him it would be near impossible. When it happened his daddy was by himself and shared his experience of grace with his son. A man who had cussed his whole life, never attended church, had no use for any of it was saved! His whole disposition changed just like that. All because of prayer. Do not give up and keep the faith and claim it in Christ name.

tell sackett

Won't go into the other but this is pretty much undisputed even among believers. If you know it to be false why not just explain to him how you know it to be false?

rong

Do not give up on the prayer, pray without ceasing and call his name out, be specific. A guy at church dad got saved, at a hospital he was in for 2 weeks. He was 84 years old and many told him it would be near impossible. When it happened his daddy was by himself and shared his experience of grace with his son. A man who had cussed his whole life, never attended church, had no use for any of it was saved! His whole disposition changed just like that. All because of prayer. Do not give up and keep the faith and claim it in Christ name.

this

barryl

Trust Jesus

I need some help, suggestions and prayers for my dad. He believes all religions will go to heaven if they are good people because they believe in a higher power. He believes the bible is written by many men and make you believe whatever they want you to believe. My father hates going to church because he does not like organized religion and the church is full of Hippocrates. I know all of his statements are false and would like to guide and prove to him that he is wrong before he does pass away with cancer. Any bible scriptures or thoughts will be appreciated.
(The Gospel)1 Cor. 15:1-4. Romans 3:10,23 "For all have sinned" Romans 10: 9-10 John 14:6 KJV AV The simplest way I know of, if you want to go to Heaven, "Trust Jesus", if you want to go to He . . . , trust anything else. ::; Prayin for ya' !!

j_seph

The Bible wasn't written by many men?
Sorry Atlas but I have to feel that when a Christian comes and ask for help in here, especially in a situation such as this that he is not looking for help, suggestions, and especially prayer from non-believers. Just pass the request on to your dad so he can pray and move along.

j_seph

James 1:26 - If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion [is] vain.

Matthew 18:20 - For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Colossians 3:16 - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Hebrews 10:25 - Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Matthew 12:30 - He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

2 Peter 1:20-21

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

atlashunter

Sorry Atlas but I have to feel that when a Christian comes and ask for help in here, especially in a situation such as this that he is not looking for help, suggestions, and especially prayer from non-believers. Just pass the request on to your dad so he can pray and move along.

I don't see anything in the description of this forum that suggests it is off limits to non Christians. An open question for advice was asked. I'm in no way challenging the mans faith or downplaying his concerns. But perhaps a little respect for the viewpoints of the dying and consideration for their beliefs isn't such a bad way to go. I know that is what I would want if I was terminally ill.

tell sackett

Barryl mentioned Rom.3:23-all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. This is a vital point for us. It is God's glory(or righteousness) that is the standard, never ours. As Isaiah wrote in 64:6- all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.

But, because God loves us, even when we are sinners, He sent His Son to die in our place(Rom.5:8). This is His free gift to anyone who accepts it by faith(Eph.2:8-9).

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

I would stress to him that going to heaven is not about being good. Everyone no matter how bad, can find someone worse to make them feel “good”. It’s about being Holy .......sinless. Jesus is the only cure for that.

Regarding the Bible: it WAS written by many men and that is one remarkable thing about it. 35-40 men from 3 separate continents living over the course of 1500 hundred years all come together to tell ONE story of God’s love for man. The most remarkable part is everyone gets to write their very own ending. Will pray that your father writes a happy ending to his.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

There is a lot here but remember that whether one believes them or not is a matter of faith. One of the greatest validations of these scriptures is that almost all of those who spoke them and wrote them down died a terrible death for the cause of Christ. No man does that unless he truly believes! I could put down many more but these hopefully will help.

John 14 14 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God

John 3 16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 6:29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

John 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

John 11
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.”

John 30
30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Romans 3
21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. 26 It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

Romans 10 6 But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 “or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Spineyman

Here is Jesus calling:
Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Acts 4:8-12New King James Version (NKJV)

8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders of Israel: 9 If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well, 10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. 11 This is the ‘stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone." 12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”